Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

3rd brake light red plastic cover broken at automatic Carwash

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 02:32 PM
C4
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd brake light red plastic cover broken at automatic Carwash

Took the '02 MC CVT earlier today to the automatic "toucheless" car wash place. (First time this car its ever been to an automated carwash) The red lense plastic cover of the 3rd brake light at the top of the hatchback was knocked out and broken up in 3 separate pieces, presummably, by the high water pressure. Mind you, this is the best and most advanced automatic car wash in Miami.

I was pissed to say the least . I see MINIs getting washed there all the time and never hear of something like that happening. It seems to me that the glue that holds the red plastic cover was already "weakened" (This was the original factory red lense plastic cover that came with the car) and the water pressure applied directly on top of it from the nozzles, killed it completely.

The light assembly still works per se, but now it is uncovered, so I need to make a trip to the dealer in the morning to get it replaced.

The car wash place will pay in full for the cost of the part plus dealer labor. They didn't even charge me for the carwash, which was pretty good otherwise Fortunately, our MC does not have the rear spoiler, so it should be an easier fit.

I assume the entire 3rd brake light assembly will need to be replaced as I doubt very much BMW only sells the red plastic lense separately.

Questions:

1) How much is the part? Can I get the red lense plastic cover separately, or do I have to purchase the whole 3rd brake light assembly from the dealer?

2) Is this an easy install, or better let the dealer take care of it?

Since the car wash will assume full responsability for the damage, I could care less about the total cost, but I find this annoying nonetheless.

Anyone had the same thing happened? I don't think I will ever take the car again to an automatic car wash, fearing that the plastic lense light covers will shatter in million pieces under the water pressure from the nozzles.

Old 01-22-2006, 02:41 PM
CDMINI
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by C4
...I don't think I will ever take the car again to an automatic car wash...
A moment of weakness, or did you just hit the "yes" to the Car Wash on the keypad at the pump by accident and then you figured, "what the heck, give it a try?"

Old 01-22-2006, 06:05 PM
C4
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CDMINI
A moment of weakness, or did you just hit the "yes" to the Car Wash on the keypad at the pump by accident and then you figured, "what the heck, give it a try?"
Well, actually this car wash is a pretty fancy one, not your typical gas station "quickie" operation. Everyday I see there Ferraris, Aston Martins, Maseratis, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, you name it. Earlier in the day I saw 4 MINIs there. So, since I wasn't in the mood to get out the hose and the Mr. Clean Autowash, I decided to give it a try. The car wash is fully automatic. The cars are placed on a sort of conveyor belt and you can watch your vehicle being washed from big panoramic windows on a fancy hallway.

Aside from the incident with the plastic red lense cover, they did a fantastic job of cleaning the car, all for FREE Their carwash system also cleans the underside of the car, something that I really like and then again it is completely touchless.

I am heading out tomorrow morning to Lauderdale MINI to get the replacement 3rd brake light assembly and, also while I am there, get a couple of things taken care of under warranty fortunately all very minor.

A hassle but what can you do.