Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Rear Window Washer Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Densmini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what it's worth, I replaced the pump on my 03 MC with one for a late-model VW Golf. Found it on fleabay, MUCH cheaper, and although the electrical connector looked different, it installed with no problems.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Originally Posted by myla2003
It could just be that the nozzle somehow turned a little, and is now not pointing in the right direction. You can adjust it simply by using a flat head screwdriver, and turning it ever so slightly until it works properly.
Nope, it is squirting straight up the middle, just not as high.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Dalecv
1st Gear
The rear washer on my 02 has been weak and then recently only produced a dribble that didn't get on the window. Thanks to this thread I figured out how to open the cover. A note for those working alone, if you lift the hatch the pump works but the wiper doesn't swipe. With the hatch open and the spray cover lifted you can see the end of the supply tube. I was getting very little fluid until I used a straight piece of bailing wire which went in 5 inches and stopped. When I tested the pump again it squirted a couple feet into the air. I think the valve wasn't allowing fluid past because no debris came out. I closed the spray cover and now the fluid squirts along the entire length of the blade.

Thanks NAM

Old 01-03-2012, 10:44 AM
TerryW
1st Gear
I had a similar problem where mine was drooling, but when I removed the hinged cover, and cleared the nipple the spray had plenty of force. I took the cover off and I noticed that one of the snap clips that holds the cover to the nipple was cracked. Got a new one from Way Motorworks and that fixed it.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:38 PM
lordofthereef
3rd Gear
Just bought an '02 RC50 and the rear nozzle was plugged. Once I found this thread it was incredibly easy to unplug it. Had to tweak and test since it had gotten maligned, but eventually got it working good as new (well, never saw it new, but it works!). Seems like a bad design that can easily get plugged, though now that I know how to unplug it it is super easy.

TIP: I obviously had the original model (you can see pics on the second page of the thread). Soak it in some warm soapy water (that who piece snaps right off) and blast it out with some canned air if it's super stubborn. Be careful because there is a super small rubber gasket in there that can easily fall out or get blasted out by the canned air.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:00 PM
ptkacik
4th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
'05 Mini's have a different rear squirter

BTW, the '05 Mini's have a different rear squirter that has a little adjustable ball with a tiny 0.032" hole in it on the end of the wiper shaft. On mine, I filled it as best I could with cleaner fluid and then put compressed air through it forwards and backwards. It took a little rubber O-ring to help seal it but it eventually blew out clear. Once washer fluid would go through it, I closed the hatch and adjusted the aim of the ball.

Super duper

Old 02-15-2014, 03:26 PM
exocet
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dalecv
A note for those working alone, if you lift the hatch the pump works but the wiper doesn't swipe.
Thanks Dalecv

Wish I had read this about 3 hrs ago, lol. Hadn't seen this thread before and so set about dismantling the rear wiper mechanism to find the blockage that was stopping the sprayer. Turns out there was approx a quarter inch of rust in the middle of the metal tube that goes into the wiper arm. It took drilling with bit to get it out... Looks like a combo of rust and that red grease...

Anyway, did that and reassembled except for the wiper arm. Had the wife stand behind the car (hatch closed). Yep, all good, metal rod twirling. I go and put the wiper arm on and have the wife get in the car and operate the wiper - all the while leaving the hatch open - and lo and behold no twirling of the rod.... repeat several times. wtf.

Ended up doing the $2 rear wiper delete

Oh well it was a nice day outside and I can repeat the procedure tomorrow

Old 02-15-2014, 04:01 PM
exocet
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just deleted my delete. Rear wiper functional again. Thought the spontaneous motor dying was a bit coincidental

And now that my wiper spray works again I'm reminded what a crap design it is (on my 02). Half the spray misses the car to the side with no way to adjust in the little plastic housing bit. The half that doesn't miss dribbles down the back...

Edit- guess I need to replace my plastic housing. I see the one on ECS Tuning has a little nozzle which is missing on mine.

Last edited by exocet; 02-15-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:07 PM
cvstan
1st Gear
Part number for rear washer nozzle for '05 Cooper S

Originally Posted by Ferroequine
Is this the part needed for an 05-06? My 06 MCS is only squirting 1/3 way up the window now, and I can't figure out how to get it cleaned to go up higher. Help!
Does anyone know the number of this part? Looks like it is not showing up in the parts diagrams. A mystery!! Thanks.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:04 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mini definitely changed something around 7/2004 as this is when the part numbers changed. For the earlier cars, the cover is 61627044627; for the later ones 61627129282. I think the nozzle is built into the early ones and is separate on the later, but I don't know if you get the nozzle when you order the cover on the later one. Someone above seemed to think it might be part of the wiper assembly on the later ones. The parts diagram doesn't change so there is no extra nozzle part listed so I would think the nozzle would be included in something on the diagram.

- Mark

Last edited by markjenn; 12-31-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:31 PM
cvstan
1st Gear
Part number for rear washer nozzle for '05 Cooper S

Originally Posted by markjenn
Mini definitely changed something around 7/2004 as this is when the part numbers changed. For the earlier cars, the cover is 61627044627; for the later ones 61627129282. I think the nozzle is built into the early ones and is separate on the later, but I don't know if you get the nozzle when you order the cover on the later one. Someone above seemed to think it might be part of the wiper assembly on the later ones. The parts diagram doesn't change so there is no extra nozzle part listed so I would think the nozzle would be included in something on the diagram.

- Mark
I have a bad feeling that the later model nozzle is considered part of the wiper motor. Bavauto could not find the part listed. The motor I got from them did not have the nozzle included however. Part #6 on the above diagram does not include the nozzle on my '05 Cooper S; it has a gap in it for the nozzle to spray out of. I know the nozzle I need and I know it fits in the end of the wiper motor shaft, but it seems like you can't buy it!

Old 12-31-2014, 12:38 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cvstan
I have a bad feeling that the later model nozzle is considered part of the wiper motor. Bavauto could not find the part listed. The motor I got from them did not have the nozzle included however. Part #6 on the above diagram does not include the nozzle on my '05 Cooper S; it has a gap in it for the nozzle to spray out of. I know the nozzle I need and I know it fits in the end of the wiper motor shaft, but it seems like you can't buy it!
Is it possible its on the wiper blade assembly itself?

- Mark

Old 12-31-2014, 01:32 PM
cvstan
1st Gear
Rear washer Nozzle

I bought a new wiper arm, grommet, nut, one way valve and blade and cover. No nozzle. Surely someone must have purchased a new wiper motor and noticed whether the nozzle comes installed in the wiper shaft.