Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Backfiring upon starting, cold idle. Door handle sticking. Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 07:15 AM
Lerzard
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backfiring upon starting, cold idle. Door handle sticking. Anyone else?

Hi all!

Just picked up my 2005 S about 3 weeks ago. I've noticed that when I first start it in the morning it tends to backfire a few times, not HUGE backfires but definitely not a regular idle either. Then, for the first couple of miles, if I stop at a light or stop sign, the engine back fires on downshifting.

Thoughts?

Also, the passenger side door handle seems to be sticking after the door is unlocked. You really have to pull on it, focusing on the inside left of the door handle, in order for it to open. It's been like this from the beginning although I wonder if it was injured by my wife, repeatedly, attempting to open the door as I was unlocking it. (Of course, I would NEVER tell her it was her fault...!)

Hope someone can help me out here! Other than these two issues, I LOVING IT!! WHAT A BLAST!! Best vehicle I've ever owned, and that's saying something! Thanks!!

Old 10-25-2005, 03:22 PM
buzzy
3rd Gear
The backfiring is a feature of the 2005's. I love it.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:39 AM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Buzzy is right about the "burble" completely normal for an '05. Wait until you get an aftermarket Catback.

As far as the door goes this is a not uncommon problem with 05's. The door handle catch mechanism is not epoxied in well and can come loose. I personally had my driver's side mechanism replaced 2 times before the tech at my dealer figured out what to do. He replaced both mechanisms(driver's and passneger's) and epoxied them in place. They have been fine since. The symptoms include: not unlocking the door on the first pull of the lever, progressing to more and more difficult times opening the door when it is unlocked. Mine did it in about the same time frame as your (i.e. within the first couple weeks of ownership).

Talk to your dealer. They should be able to "handle" this one in an afternoon.

Cheers,
Joel

Old 10-28-2005, 05:39 AM
Lerzard
1st Gear
Thanks!

Good to know all that you've shared here. Thanks!!

I LOVE my Mini and I LOVE the "burble"! Just the Best car EVER!

(I'm just a bit enthusiastic...)