Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Magnussen-Moss Act Lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 07:46 PM
whovous
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trico
1FSTMINI you are absolutely right. I have been a trial lawyer for over twenty years.

Should one prevail, and even with a sweetheart deal with an attorney on attorney's fees and the recovery of "reasonable attorney's fees" (the courts do not equate "reasonable attorney's fees" with the attorney's fees actually charged. In most cases the attorney's fees recovered do not equal all of the attorney's fees the client incurred and is obligated to pay), the fees, costs and expenses of the lawsuit will ultimately exceed the out of pocket loss. Thus, it would have been less expensive just to have the problem fixed outside of the warranty.

From a financial perspective, there is no way to win this lawsuit. If it is prosecuted on the basis of "principle" and the attorney has no problem with that, get a different lawyer since he or she is only in the case to bill you. Even then, most counsel won't take the case because when out of pocket attorneys' fees, costs and expenses before trial exceed $10,000.00, on a $1,000.00 fix it will no longer be a matter of principle - it'll be "those damn lawyers" and the financially reckless client will now focus his or her ire on the attorney.

I'm sure Skiploder means well, but six months from now expect the "I told you so" thread.
Were I a consumer looking for a lawyer to take a MM case, I'd ask that lawyer to agree to accept as a fee the "reasonable" amount awarded by the court. I'd still expect to pay if I lost, of course, but there should certainly be ways to protect myself from losing money even if I win.

Old 08-27-2005, 07:55 PM
trico
6th Gear
Originally Posted by whovous
Were I a consumer looking for a lawyer to take a MM case, I'd ask that lawyer to agree to accept as a fee the "reasonable" amount awarded by the court. I'd still expect to pay if I lost, of course, but there should certainly be ways to protect myself from losing money even if I win.
Good luck finding a lawyer who doesn't know how much he'll be paid and who works for free until the case is decided.

Old 08-27-2005, 09:38 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
I never heard of a lawyer asking for the money upfront before the case is presented cuz they have no idea on how long its going to last. They do know how much there gonna get b/c they figure this out with the case in point from how much there asking in damages. or osmething like that

Old 08-27-2005, 10:02 PM
trico
6th Gear
It's called a retainer. We ask for it up front against fees and it is your obligation to keep it current. A lawyer can give you a ballpark for what they think it will eventually cost, however, in litigation I know of none that will guarantee the cost. If you are thinking your lawyer will work on a contingency fee in a low damages MM case you are seriously mistaken.

Old 08-27-2005, 10:49 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Yea, what he said.

Old 08-27-2005, 11:33 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go after BMWNA for all the 3-Series guys like me who have rear subframe damage that BMW knows is defective and won't cover it. They actually cover it in AG but not here in NA.

Old 08-28-2005, 06:25 AM
whovous
5th Gear
It's called a retainer. We ask for it up front against fees and it is your obligation to keep it current. A lawyer can give you a ballpark for what they think it will eventually cost, however, in litigation I know of none that will guarantee the cost. If you are thinking your lawyer will work on a contingency fee in a low damages MM case you are seriously mistaken.
Its all a matter of finding the right lawyer, nothing more. I just spent about five minutes with Google. My not too sophisticated search terms were "Magnuson Moss lawyer." In that short time I found www.lemonlaw.com, a page managed by a law firm that offers "We handle every detail of your Lemon Law case efficiently and effectively, with minimal participation and at no cost to you."

I also found lemonlawamerica.com, which is a directory of lawyers and lemon laws across the USA, which seems to offer more of the same.

Are any of these people any good? Hard to say with a five minute Google search. However, the idea that no one can find a consumer oriented lawyer who doesn't want an arm and leg upfront seems, to me, to be unfounded.

Did the original writer do any of this? I dunno. Does he have any obligation to tell us what he is paying his lawyer. Of course not. I am just saying it can be done, whether you know of such people or not. There are a lot of lawyers out there, and neither you nor I know all of them.

Last edited by whovous; 08-28-2005 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Cleaned up font mess (I hope!)
Old 08-28-2005, 11:39 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
theres plenty out there that specialize in this kinda matters. the question is 'will they do the do' effectively.......
Good luck finding a lawyer who doesn't know how much he'll be paid and who works for free until the case is decided.

Old 08-28-2005, 01:36 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by UKSUV
Go after BMWNA for all the 3-Series guys like me who have rear subframe damage that BMW knows is defective and won't cover it. They actually cover it in AG but not here in NA.
Not true........i mostly see this happen on the M3 and we have done a few in the past.

Old 08-28-2005, 01:46 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With all of the speculation about what an attorney should do regarding fees in a M-M litigation, I wonder if anyone on NAM has actually pursued a M-M litigation from start to finish???? I tend to doubt that the attorney did the case on contingency...; but I would love to be proven wrong. Anyone out there???? Remember, you must have actually filed a M-M complaint and taken it to a completed trial.

Old 08-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by C4
When you modify a car with aftermarket parts, you are doing so at your own risk of losing the warranty coverage. I would think it is unfair for a car manufacturer to cover owners of cars that have seen such modifications while other owners choose not to do so in order to protect the warranty.

You took a gamble and you lost. Face up to the consequences of your actions where it hurts the most (The wallet).
I'll face up to the consequences when a part I modded fails or a modded part causes the failure. Until then, I fight.

This has nothing to do with my mods. The problem that arose is a known fault with 02 and 03s and deals with a component of the car not touched or changed by my modifications. The dealer was on their way to diagnosing the problem and fixing it under warranty when BMW told them to stop.

Glad to see you take the side of BMW even when they are wrong - screw federal law!

Old 08-29-2005, 03:45 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Skiploder
...Until then, I fight.
Just out of curiousity, how are the other owners of the company reacting to your decision to charge the cost of the litigation to the company? I hope that the company is privately held; if it isn't (in particular, if it is publicly traded), you have got much more serious problems than a simple denial of warranty issue with BMW/MINI. Can we say Sarbanes-Oxley????

Old 08-29-2005, 04:18 AM
whovous
5th Gear
Some pretty big assumptions there, caminifan. He is using his company lawyer, and you assume that means his company is paying for this.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:33 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by caminifan
Just out of curiousity, how are the other owners of the company reacting to your decision to charge the cost of the litigation to the company? I hope that the company is privately held; if it isn't (in particular, if it is publicly traded), you have got much more serious problems than a simple denial of warranty issue with BMW/MINI. Can we say Sarbanes-Oxley????
The other owner's are acting just dandy because I'm not charging it to the company.

Let's get one thing straight - the cost of the repair is definately manageable. The issue isn't $$$$$$$$ - it's principle.

Are you all ready to have warranty service on your car completely denied because you installed a CAI? Or a catback exhaust? Or a freaking set of lowering springs? Or because someone other than the dealer has worked in your engine bay?

One of the reasons I am pursuing this is because BMW refuses to even diagnose an electrical problem with my car when the only electrical work done to it has been performed by the Dealer! For the last time: they are denying warranty service on my car because they have not performed all of the work under the hood. They are further contradicting themselves by directing me to return my car 100% to stock before they will look at it.

This isn't the first piece of doody BMW product I've owned and it isn't the first time I've thrown down with them. It will be the last.

I love my MCS, but I hold no illusions as to the type of product BMW produces or the lousy post-coital service they offer.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:44 AM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
Just out of curiosity, how did BMW find out your Mini is modded if the dealer didn't tell them? Sounds like the dealer saying, "we really wanted to fix it, but BMW wouldn't let us" while stabbing you in the back. Many dealers have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy on mods so that they can keep the business.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:00 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Well im at work today looking thru service bulletins and found one concerning this issue.........It seems on vehicles produced from 12/7/04 up to 6/22/05 Mini r52/r53 cooper s with f21 automatic trans has a wiring problem.

Your car might not fall into this guide line but there is a known issue as you can see and this doesnt mean other cars arent affected.

Service action bulletin number SI M12 07 05

SITUATION - Due to incorrect routing of the engine wiring harness, cable sheathing and the line insulation mat be chaffed causing various electrical problems. blah blah blah

There alot more but its not needed to put down....Its a simple fix and i dont understand why they wouldnt help you and do it.

crimp this, splice that..DONE

Old 08-29-2005, 05:02 AM
Skiploder
Banned

After I received the news from the Dealer, I subscribed to a TSB service for the car and saw this same thing. Hence the call to the men in black..........

Originally Posted by 1FSTMINI
Well im at work today looking thru service bulletins and found one concerning this issue.........It seems on vehicles produced from 12/7/04 up to 6/22/05 Mini r52/r53 cooper s with f21 automatic trans has a wiring problem.

Your car might not fall into this guide line but there is a known issue as you can see and this doesnt mean other cars arent affected.

SITUATION - Due to incorrect routing of the engine wiring harness, cable sheathing and the line insulation mat be chaffed causing various electrical problems. blah blah blah

There alot more but its not needed to put down....Its a simple fix and i dont understand why they wouldnt help you and do it.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:07 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
good luck

Old 08-29-2005, 05:08 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by Veni_Vidi_Vici
Just out of curiosity, how did BMW find out your Mini is modded if the dealer didn't tell them? Sounds like the dealer saying, "we really wanted to fix it, but BMW wouldn't let us" while stabbing you in the back. Many dealers have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy on mods so that they can keep the business.
The dealer worked on the car for two days until they got to a point where they needed a little help. They called the local PUMA rep who immediately asked them what mods had been done to the car. They honestly answered. I did not and do not expect either the service rep or the dealer tech to risk their jobs lying for me.

At that point they were told to not spend any more time on the car as they would not be reimbursed by BMW.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:10 AM
Skiploder
Banned
good luck
Much appreciated!

Old 08-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Skiploder
Banned

Just ran across this:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2005/08/...rvice_campaign

Pay attention to the post from the guy who was denied engine wiring harness repairs due to his aftermarket CAI.

Let's Motor!

Old 08-29-2005, 11:58 AM
mburchill36
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Skiploder
This isn't the first piece of doody BMW product I've owned and it isn't the first time I've thrown down with them.

Gee, d'ya think maybe it's them (BMW) just calling in "a little payback" on ya? I've got tons of mods on my '03 MCS, and the dealer has never batted an eyelash... In fact, THEY ask ME how I LIKE them!!

From what I've seen, it's pretty much a dealership-by-dealership decision as to what they will cover and what they won't.

Seems someone (regional BMW Rep perhaps?) doesn't appreciate you 'throwing down with them before' and wants to make an example of you? Like, whan he saw your name come across his desk he decided to dig in the 'ol heels?

Good luck - but don't let it make you crazy, man....life too short, eh?

Old 08-29-2005, 11:59 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Thats wrong on so many different levels.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by mburchill36
Gee, d'ya think maybe it's them (BMW) just calling in "a little payback" on ya? I've got tons of mods on my '03 MCS, and the dealer has never batted an eyelash... In fact, THEY ask ME how I LIKE them!!

From what I've seen, it's pretty much a dealership-by-dealership decision as to what they will cover and what they won't.

Seems someone (regional BMW Rep perhaps?) doesn't appreciate you 'throwing down with them before' and wants to make an example of you? Like, whan he saw your name come across his desk he decided to dig in the 'ol heels?

Good luck - but don't let it make you crazy, man....life too short, eh?
Different dealerships. The dealership I am currently dealing with has been fine with the mods. I spoke to both the SA and the Tech - this was a BMW NA call. If the dealer spends anymore time on the issue, it comes out of his pocket. Keep in mind that the dealer probably spent about $1K attempting to diagnose and fix the issue over two days before they were called off by BMW.

Sincere thanks for the advice. It isn't bothering me. The car is not a daily driver and if we have to, we can perform the fix ourselves for a fraction of the dealer's rate.

Knock on wood, with the exception of a uniformly elevated idle the car is driving like a champ. I tracked the car a week ago and it performed beautifully. Just this last weekend, I ran it down to Yosemite down the length of Highway 49 and it tore up the canyons.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:45 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Still isnt right being one has nothing to do with the other but thats what this law is all about. you did luck out though with your issue being it wasnt anything huge to fix and is easy repairable

Quick Reply: Magnussen-Moss Act Lawsuit