Gas recommended for MCS - North American Motoring

Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas recommended for MCS

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 08-19-2005, 12:28 PM
ohui2001
ohui2001 is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gas recommended for MCS

Hi all,

What is the recommended gas for a MCS ? My other car is a V8 and required 92 octane gas... wonder if I can get by with 87 or 89 on my MCS ?

Thanks
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-19-2005, 12:39 PM
CooperSigma
CooperSigma is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 276
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ohui2001
Hi all,

What is the recommended gas for a MCS ? My other car is a V8 and required 92 octane gas... wonder if I can get by with 87 or 89 on my MCS ?

Thanks
Nope, a minimum of 91 octane is required.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-19-2005, 12:57 PM
jason.mullins
jason.mullins is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have not tried it, but the other day I heard on the radio that any car that is recently made can run on regular unleaded gas. The only thing is you may not get as good gas milage on lower octane.

Jason
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-19-2005, 01:07 PM
kaelaria's Avatar
kaelaria
kaelaria is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,143
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeezus how many times are the cheap/uninformed going to bring up this topic? IT'S IN YOUR MANUAL PEOPLE! The engineers aren't lying to you! Put less than 91 in the engine will pull timing to prevent your engine from detonating itself - as has been posted ad-nasium. Search - it's a wonderful thing, so are FAQs. So are Manuals. I think this has been posted over 10 times this month alone.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-19-2005, 01:24 PM
DPCooperS
DPCooperS is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Butler, PA
Posts: 184
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
89 Octane

I have an 05 MCS with 6500 Miles, I have been running 89 octane for the past month, the milage doesn't seem to have dropped off, I average about 28 to 30 MPG, I have a 92 mile round trip comute to work, 70% of it is highway. I was worried about Pinging or Detonation when I made this change. I weaned it over slowly, and have not noticed any bad noises under heavy accelleration or under low rpm load, with the cost of gas now if my milage drops 1 mpg for every tank, I think I can live with that.

Dave
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-19-2005, 01:27 PM
hugh
hugh is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Stanhope, NJ
Posts: 701
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kaelaria...patience!!!

Peeple Puleeze !!! Calulator time:

Drive 20,000 miles per year.

Get 25 mpg (hopefully better but...)

That's 800 gallons of petrol.

Here in NJ, premium is 10 cent per gallon more than mid range.

That comes out to $80 per year!:smile: :smile:

Did ANYONE pay less than $20,000 out-the-door for their car?

Is $20080 THAT MUCH MORE?

HS
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-19-2005, 01:32 PM
paulstar's Avatar
paulstar
paulstar is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Midlothian, VA
Posts: 158
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaelaria
Jeezus how many times are the cheap/uninformed going to bring up this topic? IT'S IN YOUR MANUAL PEOPLE! The engineers aren't lying to you! Put less than 91 in the engine will pull timing to prevent your engine from detonating itself - as has been posted ad-nasium. Search - it's a wonderful thing, so are FAQs. So are Manuals. I think this has been posted over 10 times this month alone.
You need a in there... then it's ready for the Rants thread...
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-19-2005, 01:32 PM
kaelaria's Avatar
kaelaria
kaelaria is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,143
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DPCooperS
I have an 05 MCS with 6500 Miles, I have been running 89 octane for the past month, the milage doesn't seem to have dropped off, I average about 28 to 30 MPG, I have a 92 mile round trip comute to work, 70% of it is highway. I was worried about Pinging or Detonation when I made this change. I weaned it over slowly, and have not noticed any bad noises under heavy accelleration or under low rpm load, with the cost of gas now if my milage drops 1 mpg for every tank, I think I can live with that.

Dave
No one ever said you would hear anything, or have detonation. As I said - your car is SAVING YOU from it by pulling timing. Sure, your car runs - but you are way down on available power from what you would have with the proper octane. Real simple.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-19-2005, 01:40 PM
Drsms22's Avatar
Drsms22
Drsms22 is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
Posts: 672
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ugly Secret Shared With The Nam Community.

DON'T BUY A DEMO FROM A DEALER WITHOUT ASKING THIS QUESTION.
"Do you folks every run this thing on regular?"
You'd be surprised. Some dealers don't care what gas they put in demos.

Regular gas is bad for the engine. Its that simple. I agree with borderline ranters on this subject.
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-19-2005, 01:54 PM
MandaBoo
MandaBoo is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,742
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you buy a performance car, particularly one that is not normally aspirated (super/turbo charged) you just need to accept the fact that you have to spring more for gas.

Plus, something that's killing me with people going to lower octane gas as the price gets higher is that the percentage difference between the cost of regular and premium is now LOWER than it was before, so if the difference didn't bother you before, don't let it bother you now. I always run 93 octane (of course the station down the street from me has 87, 89, 93, 94, so I pay 20cents more for 93 than for 87 )
 
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-19-2005, 02:03 PM
C4's Avatar
C4
C4 is offline
Banned
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,756
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always put 93 octane Citgo in both of my MINIs. Why go cheap on a $20K + auto?
 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-19-2005, 02:09 PM
resmini
resmini is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,525
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ohui2001
Hi all,

What is the recommended gas for a MCS ? My other car is a V8 and required 92 octane gas... wonder if I can get by with 87 or 89 on my MCS ?

Thanks
This is my opinion....you can use 87 or 89 octane without hurting anything. There might be a slight drop in gas mileage or performance, but I doubt it.
 
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-19-2005, 02:11 PM
C4's Avatar
C4
C4 is offline
Banned
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,756
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll be hurting the engine in the long run. Sounds like a false economy to me.

Originally Posted by resmini
This is my opinion....you can use 87 or 89 octane without hurting anything. There might be a slight drop in gas mileage or performance, but I doubt it.
 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-19-2005, 03:23 PM
lcubed's Avatar
lcubed
lcubed is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: metro dc
Posts: 358
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the engine will run fine on regular, but will be down on power
since the engine management system will retard the engine
to where it doesn't knock.

let's put this in a FAQ:

regular gas has more energy than premium per unit volume.
premium has more antiknock agents.

a good quality regular gas usually has a better grade of
antiknock and detergent agents than the cheap noname brands.

give the brand name regular preference over a noname premium.

(my best friend from grad school used to do the additives package for texaco
and he got way too familiar w/ the knock test rig)
 
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-19-2005, 03:29 PM
blitz64's Avatar
blitz64
blitz64 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 135
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand that a MCS will require 91. But for a regualar MC to require 91 is a bit too much. it's only 105 hp and it takes 91...
 
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-19-2005, 03:42 PM
emoore
emoore is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think that horsepower dictates what type of gas to use. It is the way the engine is designed. The car companies don't see any more money by having their cars run on premium. If the manual recommends 91 octane or higher put that in the car. If you are concerned about the cost of the gas buy a car that runs on 87 octane.
 
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-19-2005, 03:47 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper's Avatar
not-so-rednwhitecooper
not-so-rednwhitecooper is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chardon, Ohio
Posts: 5,883
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blitz64
I understand that a MCS will require 91. But for a regualar MC to require 91 is a bit too much. it's only 105 hp and it takes 91...
its 115, get it right

my MC get 4-5 MPG better with 91+ versus 86, 87, or 89. when i run 107 or 110 cam 2, it goes back down to 4-5 less than 91. its not that much money more, 3-4 more dollars a fill up, so it doesnt bother me!
 
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-19-2005, 03:53 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper's Avatar
not-so-rednwhitecooper
not-so-rednwhitecooper is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chardon, Ohio
Posts: 5,883
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just heard on Dateline news,

AAA says UNLESS ITS IN THE OWNERS MANUAL, use regular.

IF ITS IN THE OWNERS MANUAL, ITS REQUIRED FOR THE ENGINE TO RUN PROPERLY!!!!
 
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-19-2005, 03:56 PM
pooch1's Avatar
pooch1
pooch1 is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: May 2005
Location: toronto area
Posts: 683
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
re gas issue

Same problem up here, if you are worrying about 80 Bucks a year difference why buy a MINI you might as well buy 2 Hyundai accents and put the change in your pocket.PS All modern cars have a ENGINE Management system thats programmed to self protect ie. retard timing if you get bad gas or fill with 89 octane to save money.You should here the SUV owners complaining at the gas pumps here.My friendly response is:If you cant afford the gas why are you driving it DUH!
 
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-19-2005, 04:06 PM
C4's Avatar
C4
C4 is offline
Banned
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,756
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some people like to be cheap for the sake of being cheap, not frugal. They create false economies and end up paying more in the end.
 
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Yucca Patrol
Yucca Patrol is offline
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Burning-Ham Alabama
Posts: 10,170
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in Alabama where we have 89 and 93 octane, I guess I could mix the two 50/50 and save a few pennies. . .
 
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-19-2005, 04:24 PM
BFG9000's Avatar
BFG9000
BFG9000 is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 772
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the MC--10.6:1 compression ratio is a lot, aluminum heads or no. But other manufacturers have speced 87 octane with 10:1 compression for 15 years now.
I figure if I have to use premium anyway, I may as well have a turbo or supercharger, which is why I bought an "S."

If you don't notice/are willing to accept the power and mileage losses, then 87 is likely just fine for a MC since the engine will protect itself. But never for the MCS--too dangerous to run forced induction with low octane since retarded timing will make it run even hotter.
 
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-19-2005, 04:27 PM
resmini
resmini is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,525
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by C4
Some people like to be cheap for the sake of being cheap, not frugal. They create false economies and end up paying more in the end.
And on the other hand some people think the word "premium" with respect to gas means better. It only means better with respect to anti-knock additives, nothing else. If, on the slim chance your engine knocks excessively running regular, the engine computer will reduce the timing automatically, eliminating the knock and any chance of engine damage. The reduced timing may or may not have a noticeable effect on engine performance or gas mileage. To know for sure you would need to carefully monitor your gas mileage under the same driving conditions with at least 4 or 5 tanks of gas. The perceived difference from one tank of gas is meaningless.

The reason the "regular" MINI requires 91 octane fuel is because of the high compression ratio of, I believe, 10.6 to 1. The MCS has a lower compression ratio, (about 8.5 to 1), than the MC, but since the supercharger jams the fuel and air into the engine, the effective compression ratio is as high as or higher than the MC.

Neither car will be damaged by using lower than 91 octane fuel. In other words, if you use, for example, 89 octane gas and it seems ok, it is OK.

As a side note, it cost the oil compainies about 2 cents/gal more to produce 91 octane compared to 89 octane. They then charge about 10 cents a gallon more for it.

Gas companies want you to use premium gas.
 
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-19-2005, 04:32 PM
lurch70's Avatar
lurch70
lurch70 is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 1,646
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this thread is making me bang my head against the refrigerator door

manual says PREMIUM ... that's what I am feeding it ... we are not driving SUV's for God's sake.

PENNY WISE ... POUND FOOLISH.
 
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-19-2005, 04:39 PM
C4's Avatar
C4
C4 is offline
Banned
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,756
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the manual and fuel filler door says minimum 91 octane, that's what I will use. $80 more per year seems like cheap insurance to me.


Originally Posted by resmini
And on the other hand some people think the word "premium" with respect to gas means better. It only means better with respect to anti-knock additives, nothing else. If, on the slim chance your engine knocks excessively running regular, the engine computer will reduce the timing automatically, eliminating the knock and any chance of engine damage. The reduced timing may or may not have a noticeable effect on engine performance or gas mileage. To know for sure you would need to carefully monitor your gas mileage under the same driving conditions with at least 4 or 5 tanks of gas. The perceived difference from one tank of gas is meaningless.

The reason the "regular" MINI requires 91 octane fuel is because of the high compression ratio of, I believe, 10.6 to 1. The MCS has a lower compression ratio, (about 8.5 to 1), than the MC, but since the supercharger jams the fuel and air into the engine, the effective compression ratio is as high as or higher than the MC.

Neither car will be damaged by using lower than 91 octane fuel. In other words, if you use, for example, 89 octane gas and it seems ok, it is OK.

As a side note, it cost the oil compainies about 2 cents/gal more to produce 91 octane compared to 89 octane. They then charge about 10 cents a gallon more for it.

Gas companies want you to use premium gas.
 
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
iggi
R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006)
7
06-14-2016 07:51 PM
mrjolliff
MINI Parts for Sale
3
10-09-2015 05:55 AM
HaveATank
R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+)
22
09-04-2015 08:04 AM
dchang0
Stock Problems/Issues
2
08-10-2015 03:37 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor Announcements
0
08-04-2015 01:47 PM

Forum Jump

Thread Tools
Search this Thread