Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

My Car is grumpy

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 12:46 PM
cooperkid
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Car is grumpy

Now that you're reading....

So my car just turned 1 year old, and it has 8500 miles on it. The service countdown is down to 800 so I scheduled an appointment for my service in two weeks.

This was my first manual car, so when I first owned the car stalling was a weekly thing, now I drive fine.

My question is, lately (and I think during humider days) the car has been exhibiting some wierd traits such as I'll be in neutral at a light or at 1st with the clutch fully depressed and the car will start shaking like its about to stall. Then I'll bring the revs up and it'll be fine. Then sometimes when i'm on the highway i'll be going 70 on a flat spot and the car will not have any pickup, even with my foot all they way down to the floor., yeah I know I drive a regular cooper but this is just strange. Then if i pump the gas a little it will magically start to accelarte. This is a recent problem. And sometimes I hear a clicking when the windows are open in the first couple seconds of any gear (I've read about this problem on NAM before but not sure if its related)

Do you think any of these problems are related to the old oil that I'm running off of? Or could I possibly have a clutch problem (i def hope not). Or, is this a software issue I believe they upgraded me to 39.1 or somethign after the recall was issued. Please help so I can bring info with me when I go to get serviced.

Thanks

Old 07-24-2005, 12:53 PM
paul_
4th Gear
it could be the clutch(sorry ) and/or the dreaded software upgrade. considering that this is your first manual, I would lean towards the clutch for the clicking. But hey, no offense, I am only just learning standard on our MINI.

Old 07-24-2005, 06:21 PM
cooperkid
1st Gear
Originally Posted by paul_
I would lean towards the clutch for the clicking.
Thanks but I think the clicking is related more towards something about the half shafts as I have read.

I'm more concerned about the revs dropping for no reason even when the car is out of gear, would somone with more expereince driving stick let me know what they think.

I know I may not be the best stick driver, but my shifts are typicaly smooth and I never rest my foot on the clutch, nor do i drop start the car, so I woud like to believe that it is not clutch related.

Old 07-24-2005, 08:48 PM
GrilleGuy
2nd Gear
I had an Acura Legend clutch go out that way. In about 3rd gear when I accelerated the RPMS went up and the MPH did not. The higher gears put more torque on the Clutch as SPEED is a factor in the equation.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:00 PM
cooperkid
1st Gear
Originally Posted by GrilleGuy
I had an Acura Legend clutch go out that way. In about 3rd gear when I accelerated the RPMS went up and the MPH did not. The higher gears put more torque on the Clutch as SPEED is a factor in the equation.
Interesting, but with this the rpms didn't go up either, it was almost like no response from the car at all. If the rpms went up without the mph increasing then i would be very very concerned.

again, with only 8000 miles on the car i couldnt imagine there being a clutch problem?

Old 07-24-2005, 10:25 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
First issue sounds similar to a problem my MCS exhibited (according to the first owner.) I resolved the problem by buying it and moving to CA - little humidity and no roughi idle.

Second issue sounds like a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) issue. MINI is drive by wire, so there's no physical connection on the throttle. Only real solution is to mention it to your SA, and hope they can re-create and replace the TPS or related component.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:35 PM
HtStf5
Neutral
grumpy car

Hi -- my car also was running rough (jumping sort of) then my "service engine soon" light came on. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the number 2 sensor and now it is fine. I don't know if this helps or not.
Also, had a moan in the clutch (when letting out) and they had to replace the whole assembly and I have been driving a clutch forever.

Good luck

Old 07-24-2005, 11:36 PM
azminiman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cooperkid
Now that you're reading....

My question is, lately (and I think during humider days) the car has been exhibiting some wierd traits such as I'll be in neutral at a light or at 1st with the clutch fully depressed and the car will start shaking like its about to stall. Then I'll bring the revs up and it'll be fine. Then sometimes when i'm on the highway i'll be going 70 on a flat spot and the car will not have any pickup, even with my foot all they way down to the floor., yeah I know I drive a regular cooper but this is just strange. Then if i pump the gas a little it will magically start to accelarte. This is a recent problem. And sometimes I hear a clicking when the windows are open in the first couple seconds of any gear (I've read about this problem on NAM before but not sure if its related)

Thanks
The first part about sitting at idle and it just starts to stall is a known problem by mini. " they are working on it " Im told. ( at least it is a issue with the S.. ( not to be confused with the known S stumble issue))
The Dead peddle issue would need to be looked at... could be a bad throdle send/position sensor is the peddle. non of your issues would be oil related... you oil is good for the recomended time.

Old 07-24-2005, 11:57 PM
lotsie
Banned
The idle thing would have nothing to do with the clutch, in gear or not. The flat spot you mention could be software, or throttle issue.

The combination of the 2, would be either a software, or throttle issue. I would tend to lean towards throttle.

Bring it up with the dealer. Don't wait till you show up, call them and tell them before you go in.

I had v39 installed in my MC when it was released when it came out. My MPG went up.
Hope you get this figured out:smile: