Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 08:35 PM
Turbogeo
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking oil

My MINI started to leak oil not long after my last oil change. I took it to the dealer and they told me it was a pinched o-ring. I an now going to start changing the oil myself and was wondering if this happens often or has happened to any of you.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:06 PM
McCullster
2nd Gear
Yes, this did happen to me! I did the oil change my self and got a MINI OEM filter and new o-ring. During the install after I had the car drained and was fitting the new o-ring on the filter, I lubed up the new o-ring with some oil and slid it on. I remembered a few times where that o-ring was a little hard to get on........not this time. It had a few places where the material wasn't sitting flat on the filter canister.

I didn't think anything of it and threaded the canister back onto the engine block, tightened and filled 'er up! Got in the car to check the oil pressure and started to spew oil everywhere! I got about 2 to 3 quarts all over the garage floor....... So after taking off the canister again I noticed that when I threaded the new o-ring equipped canister I had literally cut the o-ring in the little groove leaving about a 1/2 inch long section missing. I had to fit my old o-ring back on and made sure to tighten things down and thread it on nice and slow like!

There's nothing like a feeling of seeing oil spew out of that canister of your baby and running to turn off the engine........

Old 04-30-2005, 03:37 AM
Cooper S IRE
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by McCullster
Yes, this did happen to me! I did the oil change my self and got a MINI OEM filter and new o-ring. During the install after I had the car drained and was fitting the new o-ring on the filter, I lubed up the new o-ring with some oil and slid it on. I remembered a few times where that o-ring was a little hard to get on........not this time. It had a few places where the material wasn't sitting flat on the filter canister.

I didn't think anything of it and threaded the canister back onto the engine block, tightened and filled 'er up! Got in the car to check the oil pressure and started to spew oil everywhere! I got about 2 to 3 quarts all over the garage floor....... So after taking off the canister again I noticed that when I threaded the new o-ring equipped canister I had literally cut the o-ring in the little groove leaving about a 1/2 inch long section missing. I had to fit my old o-ring back on and made sure to tighten things down and thread it on nice and slow like!

There's nothing like a feeling of seeing oil spew out of that canister of your baby and running to turn off the engine........

well my story was the very same as that last saturday
you have to be very carefull fitting the oil filter housing back on
I had to get another 2.5 litres of oil to replace what was on the floor
lucky I noticed it as it could have done some serious damage if I had of left her running for a while
if anybody changes their own oil they should double check the filter before starting the car I know i will

Old 04-30-2005, 09:13 PM
Turbogeo
3rd Gear
Thanks guys, I just washed my MINI and noticed the problem is not fixed after the dealer should have fixed it.