Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

idle still dropping on MC

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 02:42 PM
sdbillings
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the CD31 software upgrade. The car seemed to run a little better but still had the idle dropping too low occasionally. Somebody said the software was "adaptive" and i needed to wait a bit. However, I waited and the problem still exists. The delaer said there would be another software upgrade after Dec 20. I hope it fixes the problem.

For the technically minded, i have a question. I read on this board once that Magnecor wires seemed to improve the performance and slightly bumped up the idle RPMs. Assuming the software "fix" does not work, does anyone think different wires would?
thanks,
sdb
MC BRG

Old 12-19-2002, 03:04 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is an interesting question indeed. I have read elsewhere that the hype over replacing plug wires is mostly unfounded. (If I could remember where I read this, I would provide the source.) I also recall them having said that there seemed to be little real world difference to justify changing wires. :???:

I'm not a "true" gearhead, nor do I have any 1st hand experience to confirm/deny what I read - anyone else who is more knowledgeable care to chime in here?

Old 12-20-2002, 05:58 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the CD31 upgrade about 1000 miles ago. It *slightly* improved cold weather start but it still wants to cut out on very cold days at the end of the street.

What I definitely noticed is a dramatically lower MPG; down from about 32 to 29! It looks like it might be coming back up to 30 now ... maybe worse due to cold weather we have had around Boston recently; or due to CD31.

At least I am getting some gas-filling training for when I trade up to the MCS :smile:

Old 12-20-2002, 07:24 AM
C4
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD #31 will not fix the sudden RPM idle problem reported in the Cooper 5-speed and Cooper CVT. This problem is more pronounced with a COLD ENGINE regardless of exterior ambient temperature. I had CD #31 downloaded onto my car in early Novemeber and while it really did improve acceleration and linear, smooth response, the idle drop problem is still there.

A good an effective workaround is to put the key in the ignition and put it in the "ON" position for about 10 to 30 seconds before starting the engine. This gives the software/computer plenty of time to properly initialize thus minimizing or virtually eliminating any near stall/stalls from happening.

Upcoming CD #32 will not fix your problem either. According to MINIUSA, CD #33 due in mid January early February is aimed at fixing all this software related idle problems.

I strongly suggest any regular Cooper and Cooper CVT models to contact Sam at MINIUSA. He is a fantastic individual and very well informed about this ongoing problem. He needs to collect as much feedback as possible on the problem from current owners. Call him at 1-866-ASK-MINI today.

For further info on this issue, please refer to this link in MINI2.COM:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthrea...p;pagenumber=1

CD #33 is the definitive final solution for regular Cooper idle problems. It appears to be that the CVT clutch program is not releasing the driving belts on time when coming to a full stop, hence causing the stalling (Like when you leave the clutch pedal undepressed approaching a full stop and still on gear, you follow me?).