Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

mods for increased fuel efficiency?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 09:23 AM
The_iaiN
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kwkshift
If you want fuel economy, go buy a '91 Honda CRX HF or an Echo. Do you think fuel economy was a determining factor when I bought my 4x4? No.

Realistically, I seriously doubt that anyone on this board would spend that much money, drive like a grandma and keep their MCS for that long just to get a tiny bit of fuel mileage back. Also, I doubt that all of those mods would yield 1 mpg each. Maybe 2 mpg in total of all of those mods combined.
Wow, what a waste, all of that and you added only the opinion that those mods are not cumulative. Why don't you go buy an echo and I'll continue to enjoy my mini. This isn''t a thread about cars that get high fuel economy, it is about the ability of the MCS to get higher gas milage with various mods. Can you please pay attention... in fact, I'll start a thread just for you.

Old 02-09-2006, 06:52 AM
kwkshift
2nd Gear
I didn't say this was a thread about cars that get high fuel economy. What I said was: If you are concerned about getting better gas mileage, why did you purchase a car that is geared more towards being a compact sports car with great handling characteristics, supercharged engine etc.?

It doesn't make sense. Maybe my next suggestion will help you out:

Leave your Mini parked in your garage forever. It will get great economy not using one drop of fuel.

No? Oh, you mean you want to go out and actually enjoy the car in the manner in which it was designed? Well that's different, then.

And another thing....The vast majority of you mini people feel like you have to be all koom-by-ya-lovey-dovey with one another. You guys are like a damn box of puppies. Jesus. To participate in a discussion, do I have to give everyone an e-hug or something before a different opinion is offered?

Old 02-09-2006, 09:29 AM
minimc
5th Gear
do I have to give everyone an e-hug or something before a different opinion is offered?
I'd ask my girlfriend to accept your e-hug - in proxy for me, but seeing as you're already on her, I figure that's enough

Old 02-09-2006, 09:35 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The vast majority of you mini people feel like you have to be all koom-by-ya-lovey-dovey with one another. You guys are like a damn box of puppies. Jesus.
You're a real charmer yourself.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:46 AM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
If you really wanted a mod for fuel efficiency-- Don't drive! You'll save a lot of fuel that way!

Who can do that though... I challenge you not to drive your MINI... so that's the point, get out and drive and stop worrying about fuel consumption. Hey, at least you don't have a Hummer H2 or something that gets 8 MPG.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:55 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by goldcountrymini
If you really wanted a mod for fuel efficiency-- Don't drive! You'll save a lot of fuel that way!

Who can do that though... I challenge you not to drive your MINI... so that's the point, get out and drive and stop worrying about fuel consumption. Hey, at least you don't have a Hummer H2 or something that gets 8 MPG.
In the winter, my Mini goes for months on one tank of gas

Old 02-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
This thread is interesting....heh heh...I will say...this brings me to a question...if everyone is so concerned with fuel...or rather to those who are.....why is it we drive around in packs of 30 minis at a time...why don't we all pack in to our minis together...

don't get me wrong...I know why....it's just food for thought...

oh and even with 300 WHP I am still getting 25 miles to the gallon on the highway...which I think is pretty good....ofcourse at 150+ I think I get negative 2 miles to the gallon...LOL

Old 02-09-2006, 10:25 AM
StoopidGirl
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tuls
.ofcourse at 150+ I think I get negative 2 miles to the gallon...LOL
I need an E-hug

Old 02-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by StoopidGirl
I need an E-hug

how about a box of puppies?!

Old 02-09-2006, 10:28 AM
StoopidGirl
6th Gear
how about a box of pupies?!
I already have those! why do you think I love NAM so much

Old 02-09-2006, 10:33 AM
ururk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember: you get more SMG (smiles per gallon) in a MINI than regular cars.

I figure it costs me $0.09 per mile to drive the MINI. Based on my annual mileage, that comes out to 900.00 a year. Which equals my insurance payment for the year as well.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:18 AM
isellem
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisneal
You're a real charmer yourself.
DIAF!

Old 02-09-2006, 12:23 PM
motorsports3
3rd Gear
This is another great thread.

So you get 2 mpg better fuel economy. Which is about 24 miles per tanks more. If you drive 1 tank a week you are getting an extra 96 miles a month. That is giving you 1 free tank of gas every 3 months. So now you are saving an average of $12 a month or $3 whole dollars every week just because you spent thousands on mods for your car. Of course this entire theory is shot to hell if you "spritedly" drive your car even 1 time for the shortest of blast. That then leads to a whole new set of question like... You can afford thousands of dollars for mods but its a damn good thing you save your $3 a week in gas. Or I spent money to make my car a faster better performing car, but now I don't want to beat it so I can get the most out of my gas mileage. Or maybe your theory is... Well now I get better gas mileage so I am doing my part to not support terrorism.

Did that last paragrapgh seem completly pointless to anyone? It sure as hell did to me. But then I reread it and realized it is just like this whole thread. You are bickering back and forth over getting gas mileage out of modding your car... But not only that best case senerio is you are saving your self a whole $3 a week. Who cares about $3 a week. If really do I think you need to reprioritize your life and the least of your worries should be modding your car.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:56 PM
kwkshift
2nd Gear
chrisneal: Thanks!!

Goldcountrymini, Tuls, Ururk, Motorsports3: Exactly!

Stoopidgirl: I think Tuls may be better qualified to hand out e-hugs than I.

Old 02-09-2006, 04:55 PM
The_iaiN
2nd Gear
Mostly I would simply like to see a serious discussion of the effects of these mods upon fuel economy. I drive my MINI because I like the car, everything except the way pulling the door handle once unlocks the door and twice opens it (which doesn't really affect me, the driver). Doesn't change the fact that I want to know what effects these mods will have on fuel economy. And your ridiculous comments do not add to this discussion. Your suggestions to "buy another car" or "not drive the mini" point to a blatant lack of any knowledge on this topic or a rampant inability to communicate ideas. Not my fault I actually expect your posts to be on topic, not derisive or otherwise utterly useless. It really is a shame we can't get a moderator to reclaim the space waste with every character you type. Why not try posting some of your derisive drivel in another performance thread? I'm sure they will not appreciate your drivel any more than we do.

For those of us who care: if you know anything about the effects of mods on fuel economy, I'm I am not the only one whow would like to know.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:00 PM
isellem
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would have to completely disagree with your comments of stating that these comments are not on topic or relevant... i personally, not that it really matters to anyone here, think that they are totally relevant! Especially the cost analisis by motorsports3. its nice to see a nonnegative comment from him and it is completely logical...

Also in regards to you MINI and the door locks and pulling the door handle and all of that fun stuff... those are programing issues... you can have those reset (usually at no cost) so they no longer cause you to be annoyed!

But then you would have to go to the dirty dealer...

Old 02-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
dirty

Old 02-09-2006, 05:20 PM
The_iaiN
2nd Gear
I purposefully didn't address that to anyone (because honestly I'm lazy and didn't want to check to see who should have a finger pointed at them). Just felt that it needed to be said.

And breaking the cost analysis down the other way does put things in a different perspective.

So you get 2 mpg better fuel economy. Which is about 24 miles per tanks more. If you drive 1 tank a week you are getting an extra 96 miles a month. That is giving you 1 free tank of gas every 3 months. So now you are saving an average of $12 a month or $3 whole dollars every week just because you spent thousands on mods for your car. Of course this entire theory is shot to hell if you "spritedly" drive your car even 1 time for the shortest of blast.
Um... 216/52 = $4.50 a week and I know from experience that it takes more than one episode of spirited driving to effect mpg (unless you mean 110+).

But I am curious about your figure of 2 mpg more... based on anything? Mine was based on a very rough guesstimation (with a dash of hope).

I don't think any of us actuallly want to know about mpg increase to justify buying these mods... well... not in more than a passing sense... I just want to know what effect they will have (if any).

On the other hand, my dealer is a dirty dealer... they will charge me for the mechanics time to change the way the door locks work (and they do unlock when the key is removed, so no big deal).

Old 02-10-2006, 07:00 AM
nvus111
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chrisneal
Long story short, no noticeable change at all, with the same speeds, same driving style, same tire inflation. So, don't count on it, unfortunately. Fuel economy was obviously a very distant concern when designing this car. I just wish I knew that before I bought it. Most of the people on here raving about the fuel economy aren't thinking about the size and weight of the car; they're comparing it to their much larger vehicles and thinking that as long as it gets over 25 mpg (which mine doesn't, in the city!), all's peachy.
CAI and MTH...I get over 25 on every tank......

And it is great, since I remember not quite 6 months ago when I was driving my Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with a 5.7L HEMI.....VVVVVRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMM!

It is a matter of perspective, isn't it.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:14 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by greven
Are there any mods out there that increase gas mileage?

Most seem to be for speed.
There are mods that help to lower total weight- anything that does that like a single sided cat back exhaust or lighter rims would help and improve power to weight ratio which also helps performance.

Any mods that improve fuel efficiency might also help gas mileage-
Taller gearing for highway cruising
Cruise control
Narrow tires that permit less rolling resistance

Most MINI mods fall into broad categories-
Appearance and comfort
Performance

Most of us that mod for performance are not looking at improved fuel efficiency although we can be pleased if we observe anything good.

Many of our mods don't directly hurt mileage- Cold air intake, headers, cat back exhaust, but our driving habits can play havoc on higher mpg numbers.

I have found that when doing mods for performance in a MINI, you experience alot more fun driving the car and mpg becomes much much less "important" when you are having fun. If you want the best mpg then drive a stock MINI with constant speed in mind, stick to the speed limit, avoid gridlock, and keep things light both in and on your MINI.

It's up to you to decide how you want to drive. What I like is that you can do what you want. I get mucho fun driving my modded MCS but I also got 33mpg when I drove it sanely back when it was hardly modded.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Mineon
4th Gear
We've had our '05 MC for about six months and put just shy of 8000 miles on it. My wife and I both drive it to work daily (She works 1st shift, I work 3rd). We've never gotten less than 30 mpg even with two autocrosses on a tank of gas. Average mpg is around 34-35 mpg with a best of 37-38 mpg. My wife's commute is 17 miles of easy driving through back roads in the country and mine is 13 miles of which 10 miles is freeway (65 mph limit). I usually set the cruise to 70 mph on the way to work and at 60 mph on the way home.

I've spent a lot of time and money modifying other cars, but on my Dodge Neons (basically the same engine that's in a MC, just larger displacement) I got the best gas mileage (40 mpg) when the car was bone stock. I was able to get within 1 mpg of that when it was modified, but I never got above 40 mpg after it was modified (300-400 lbs worth of weight reduction was done too). I've found that once the costs of most modifications are added in, modifying your driving habits will generally give you better fuel economy than modifying the car.

-Keith

Old 02-13-2006, 05:02 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
why am i having hard time believing you?

oh and even with 300 WHP I am still getting 25 miles to the gallon on the highway...which I think is pretty good....ofcourse at 150+ I think I get negative 2 miles to the gallon...LOL