Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

On-Board Computer display problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 05:33 PM
WhoHasGotTheBlueS
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
On-Board Computer display problem

Hey there. My 2003 MCS (R53) came with the onboard computer, giving range, temperature, mileage, etc., displayed within the tachometer gauge. Several months ago, the display sort of flipped out, with some segments of the seven segment numbers not lighting up fully. So it tried to display info but it was unintelligible. A couple of times the whole display went dead and I had no info at all. So the digital readout is faulty, though the tachometer needle functions as it should.

Sounds like a contact issue to me. I have no experience pulling the gauges so I really don't know where to start. I searched on the On-board computer but don't turn up any useful threads. Does anyone have any info to get me moving on this?

Last edited by WhoHasGotTheBlueS; 12-15-2023 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-16-2023, 09:40 AM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Received 851 Likes on 537 Posts
Replace the tach

Bad tach.
I have yet to experience this with my '04 pre-facelift R53's Tach, but I have read quite a few posts here on NAM that the tach can be a common failure at some point within the life of the car..
Seems that the steering column mounted tach is (in my novice verbiage), independent from the other gauges and in such cases - the OP's just ended up replacing the tach with a salvage yard pull with no further issues. Used tach's are relatively inexpensive.
Removing the tach from the steering column is super simple. 2wo torx 25(?) mounting screws (facing downward) from behind the tach which secures it to the column and the small plastic cover it sits on. Lift the tach unit up and unplug one simple wire connector.
I wish I could provide you with photos - but it really is that simple. Install the new/salvage unit in reverse order.
Just don't loose those mounting screws that hold the tach to the column.
I had a heck of a time trying to source (I needed longer ones for a mod I had done), the (original), proper length and thread pitch from my local hardware (HD, Lowes) store(s) but finally scored them from ACE hardware.

Best of luck - I hope it solves your problem.

The following users liked this post:
WhoHasGotTheBlueS (12-16-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 01:01 PM
WhoHasGotTheBlueS
3rd Gear
Thank you Here2Go!
I see the two screws you are talking about, by looking in through the windshield. I'll pull it to take a closer once I have my torx set and a magnet handy.
Any idea where the other end of the cable is?

Last edited by WhoHasGotTheBlueS; 12-16-2023 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-16-2023, 03:50 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Received 851 Likes on 537 Posts
Although I have completely dismantled at least a couple of dashes in a Mini over the past few years -
Honestly, it has been so long I don't recall ever having (a need or) traced that cable.
Unless you suspect a wiring issue down the line; there will be little need to trace the wiring if you just plug in a different tach into the end of the connector.
Hopefully that will be the quick and simple fix.

Unfortunately I haven't found any of the threads here on NAM that I read that relate to a faulty/defunct tach.

Old 12-17-2023, 11:22 AM
WhoHasGotTheBlueS
3rd Gear
I wouldn't say I have any immediate plans to go chasing down the other end of that cable. I'm just curious to know where it might be...