Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Convertible top repair person?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 11:05 AM
Coreyco
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Convertible top repair person?

Hello! I’m another R 52 owner, with a top motor that hums, but does not move top. Since I have no mechanical aptitude, I was hoping someone knew of a repair person in the Los Angeles area. Thank-you for any assistance!

Last edited by Coreyco; 12-05-2023 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-04-2023, 06:34 AM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Coreyco
Hello! I’m another R 52 owner, with a top motor that hums, but does not move top. Since I have no mechanical aptitude, I was hoping someone knew of a repair person in the Los Angeles/South Bay area. Thank-you for any assistance!
"South Bay area"? To me that suggests the SF Bay Area. If so then I had a soft top fixed -- cracked plastic rear window replaced -- and years later a leaking soft top replaced at Tri Valley Auto Interiors out in Pleasanton CA. No mechanical work was done the top hardware was fine just the top was replaced. Before you go there give the shop a call and ask if it does mechanical top repairs.

If "South Bay area" refers to some area in the LA area I have no shop recommendation. But I'm sure there's a "Tri Valley Auto Interiors" like shop -- probably dozens of them -- in LA area.

My car was a Porsche Boxster. I talked to the Porsche techs and they recommended the Tri Valley place. The techs didn't do soft top repairs or replacement. They would have certainly been willing and able to address any malfunctioning top hardware and I would have been willing to turn this over to them.

In your case with the car manifesting hardware problems you might consider a highly regarded MINI service department in your area.

Or google auto soft top repairs. Look for a shop that does not only MINIs but M-Bs, Porsche, etc.