Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

P0962 Transmission Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 12:24 PM
Aspen
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
P0962 Transmission Pressure

Hi,
Just want to add to the knowledge base here, since a search turned up nothing for me.

Last Sat I got an MIL and EP on the display of my 06 R52S with Aisin 6 speed auto transmission. Trans was stuck in 3rd gear and would not shift. I could stop and start and had reverse. The codes I got were P0962 Power train and pending P0700 TCM. They both indicate a trans problem and since I only had one gear it was off to the transmission shop. The P0962 can be many things including low fluid, bad pump, electrical connection, bad sensor, bad valve body, bad solenoid, even low battery voltage.

The shop thought it was low fluid at first but since no leaks and the car was driving OK until the light came on they went with an electrical fault. They found a broken connection in the harness plug to the transmission. Apparently this is common to this transmission since they have fixed a few before. They fixed the wiring and cleared the code and took it for a spin. Everything was A-OK. I had them change the fluid too.

I just got it back and the car is shifting BETTER THAN EVER BEFORE. I bought this thing used at about 5 years old and it shifted poorly, I replaced the valve body twice and improved things, but it was never perfect. For the last 5 years it had a small hang in the 1-2 shift and some flaring and slipping in the higher gears at WOT. Well that is all gone now. The theory is that the wiring fault was giving too much resistance and the TCM was compensating for low pressure readings by sending more pressure. Now that the communication is all good everything is hunky-dory. Man I put up with a lot of crap from this transmission. I am jealous that I am giving it to my daughter to take to college in a few days. I hope she enjoys it.

Old 07-30-2021, 12:59 PM
crazy4trains
3rd Gear
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I know this is a somewhat older thread but can you post a picture of the harness and the location?