Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

PLEASE HELP! How to exit CALIBRATION MODE in IHKA climate control module R53

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 09:07 PM
MyMistake
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PLEASE HELP! How to exit CALIBRATION MODE in IHKA climate control module R53

Hello everyone,
I hope you can help with this issue since I'm baffled by it.

I tried IHKA diagnostics to try to fix foot air vent function but i ended up being stuck on loop on Mode 2 (calibration) even after switching the ignition off or unplugging the car battery for 5 minutes didn't work.

Now when starting the car it shows "CA" which indicates Calibration mode starting and I hear the vents opening and closing them just shows "FF 01" which indicate Solar Sensor error and I can't exit or change to other modes when pressing "OFF" or "+" instead I can't switch on the A/C at all.

What make things worse is that the car isn't mine and i was trying to help fixing the problem, secondly I don't have access spare Solar Sensor to replace and check if it solve the problem.

Thank you in advance.
I really appreciate it.

This is the thread where I followed the instruction to enter diagnostic mode, post #8

Showing FF

Showing error code 01 which indicates Solar Sensor

Old 06-20-2019, 07:51 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by MyMistake
Hello everyone,
I hope you can help with this issue since I'm baffled by it.

I tried IHKA diagnostics to try to fix foot air vent function but i ended up being stuck on loop on Mode 2 (calibration) even after switching the ignition off or unplugging the car battery for 5 minutes didn't work.

Now when starting the car it shows "CA" which indicates Calibration mode starting and I hear the vents opening and closing them just shows "FF 01" which indicate Solar Sensor error and I can't exit or change to other modes when pressing "OFF" or "+" instead I can't switch on the A/C at all.

What make things worse is that the car isn't mine and i was trying to help fixing the problem, secondly I don't have access spare Solar Sensor to replace and check if it solve the problem.

Thank you in advance.
I really appreciate it.

This is the thread where I followed the instruction to enter diagnostic mode, post #8

Showing FF

Showing error code 01 which indicates Solar Sensor
Did you try disconnecting the battery and touching the -/+ terminals together?

Old 06-20-2019, 08:37 AM
MyMistake
Neutral
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
Did you try disconnecting the battery and touching the -/+ terminals together?
Do you want me to do a face mask with sulfuric acid brother? Thanks though

The following users liked this post:
Minnie.the.Moocher (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 09:19 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Do you want me to do a face mask with sulfuric acid brother? Thanks though

In my message, "Listen Carefully" DISCONNECT THE BATTERY", touch the -/+ cables together to dissipate any residual current going to the ECU.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:35 AM
MyMistake
Neutral
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
In my message, "Listen Carefully" DISCONNECT THE BATTERY", touch the -/+ cables together to dissipate any residual current going to the ECU.
I already removed the battery for some time and didn't work and also removed the climate control module for some time and put back and nothing happened.

Are you sure about dissipating residual current? I never heard of that.

I'll give it a try
Thank you for your reply and sorry for reading your earlier reply wrongly

Old 06-20-2019, 09:35 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts

Lick the terminals to make sure there is no residual charge left. There might still be a few strayed electrons in the ECU.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:43 AM
MyMistake
Neutral
Originally Posted by pnwR53S

Lick the terminals to make sure there is no residual charge left. There might still be a few strayed electrons in the ECU.
Residual current bruhh! What are you laughing at 😂

Old 06-20-2019, 10:09 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
I already removed the battery for some time and didn't work and also removed the climate control module for some time and put back and nothing happened.

Are you sure about dissipating residual current? I never heard of that.

I'll give it a try
Thank you for your reply and sorry for reading your earlier reply wrongly
I thought disconnecting the battery might get the ECU out of the diagnostic loop, didn't know that you've already done that. There is no voodoo to touching the cables together, it just discharges the systems.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:41 PM
Blue R50
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
You might want to try disconnecting them for a few hours or overnight. Otherwise, I have no experience with this. I do know that a few days of disconnect cleared all of my engine management codes that would not clear with a simple code reader.

Old 12-23-2022, 11:12 AM
NegativeNick
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you have any success turning this off? Im currently having trouble with the same thing and theres no answers online on how to fix it.

Old 01-06-2023, 02:40 PM
Dougster7
Neutral
I’ve the same issue, posted today on another thread, search my only post in case you’ve not seen it and anything helps you out. The more the merrier….surely 🙏

Old 01-11-2023, 12:22 PM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Received 134 Likes on 119 Posts
See my thread “heat not working” or something like that

note you might find a used control panel on all mag auto parts…

Old 01-11-2023, 01:36 PM
Dougster7
Neutral
Originally Posted by ssoliman
See my thread “heat not working” or something like that

note you might find a used control panel on all mag auto parts…
hey, thanks for adding to this thread. I’ve read your thread but still stuck on test, already tried a 2nd hand unit which didn’t read the fault codes until I carried out the test function again and now it’s the same as the old unit. All pointing to the fault remaining in the system and only way out of it is to fix the fault which is all pointing to the solar sensor

Old 03-08-2023, 10:28 AM
Dougster7
Neutral
Sorted ✅

Had the above issue for a few months so booked it into Mini to change the solar sensor as the wiring felt stuck in the dash, as if it would snap if pulled any harder. Been for various runs in it over the past few months all very cold, this morning I started it up and the panel didn’t have the FF01 code for a change, it displayed the temp setting so I left it to warm up. 10 mins later the cab was roasting! Heater working again absolutely fine so I took it to Mini anyway to have a check over. They stuck it on the diagnostics and it said the mixer flap had been stuck but working fine now. No charge either as they said the lads all enjoyed seeing the old car in the workshop! Strange the fault code given was FF01 when the solar sensor was working all along. Obviously the car didn’t like the sound of going to the doctor 😂