Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Possible "Death Rattle" Situation on a 2007 Mini Cooper R56 S

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 03:49 PM
TheSideJoe
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible "Death Rattle" Situation on a 2007 Mini Cooper R56 S

I've had this R56 for a couple months now and first time posting, I wish it was on happier terms. A couple weeks ago I have been hearing some rattling, and doing some research it sounded like I had all the symptoms. Rattle at idle, low speeds, turns, and at other times. Where I live is about high 70s so I can't attest to whether or not being cold has a problem. However, I did want confirmation. I hope you can post videos/links as a first poster, if not I apologize, but I took a video with a dedicated mic next to the engine to get as close as possible to the rattling sound. I've only driven this car for about 700 miles, and last I checked the oil dipstick it was clear on the oil so I don't think it's a lack of oil inside the engine. The car has around 115k miles. When I first acquired this car it looked clean and like it had been treated right despite high mileage, but maybe I saw wrong.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:06 AM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
Yes, that is chain slap and rattle. At that milage you had best do the chain and guides as soon as possible. The chains are a weak point and if they go then it can be catastrophic. Me, I would stop driving it until remedied. Sorry that it is not a great start to your Mini experience. Chains last 50-80K miles and are not for life of engine as advertised (well life of engine until the chain breaks or jumps timing, then it is life of engine). Loads of good guides on Youtube. If you are not handy with the tools then find a shop that has experience doing this job.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:18 AM
mkov608
5th Gear
Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
Mostly agree with Scudder 44; the plastic timing chain guide and the tensioner are the weak points; when I measured my chain after 125K miles it had no sings of wear at all. Pin to pin measurements across 10 segments with the chain under tension was exactly the same as my new chain. But, the plastic guide was broken at the bottom. However, I was not changing my timing chain due to the death rattle; my head gasket had failed.

Instructions in the Bentley service manual are pretty good, but you will need a small loan to pay for all the special MINI tools you'll need. While you're at it, pull the cylinder head and get those cheap a$$ valve seats replaced. I've heard other engines with a similar sound, but one of the intake valve seat had dropped.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:44 PM
DarkMiniz091
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Timing chain recall

I have a 2007 r56 myself. The death rattle from the timing chain is actually covered under a recall by mini cooper themselves. I just got mine completely replaced for free by the dealership.

The following users liked this post:
mkov608 (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 03:51 PM
TheSideJoe
Neutral
Originally Posted by DarkMiniz091
I have a 2007 r56 myself. The death rattle from the timing chain is actually covered under a recall by mini cooper themselves. I just got mine completely replaced for free by the dealership.
Would they still uphold a recall when it's been over a decade? I feel like it has been too long since then, but maybe I'm wrong. How can I figure out if I'm eligible?

Old 05-12-2019, 05:29 PM
DarkMiniz091
Neutral
Timing chain recall.

Originally Posted by TheSideJoe
Would they still uphold a recall when it's been over a decade? I feel like it has been too long since then, but maybe I'm wrong. How can I figure out if I'm eligible?
I have a 2007 mini cooper s r56 myself. I got the car about 4 or so months ago and the second thing I had done was the timing chain under recall through the dealership. Call and talk to a service manager at your local Mini and let him know that you "know their is a recall for timing chains and or tim8ng chain guides". Mine is the same exact model as yours so it shouldn't be an issue to have it done. My MCS had 70k miles on it. It's a no time limit recall. Call them. You should be real happy with this 😂. Just remember I have the same exact year and model and they just did mine so yours shouldn't be an issue to get done for free. A $2000 job done for free for maybe a 30min talk on the phone

Last edited by DarkMiniz091; 05-12-2019 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Misworded
The following users liked this post:
mkov608 (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 07:02 PM
TheSideJoe
Neutral
Originally Posted by DarkMiniz091
I have a 2007 mini cooper s r56 myself. I got the car about 4 or so months ago and the second thing I had done was the timing chain under recall through the dealership. Call and talk to a service manager at your local Mini and let him know that you "know their is a recall for timing chains and or tim8ng chain guides". Mine is the same exact model as yours so it shouldn't be an issue to have it done. My MCS had 70k miles on it. It's a no time limit recall. Call them. You should be real happy with this 😂. Just remember I have the same exact year and model and they just did mine so yours shouldn't be an issue to get done for free. A $2000 job done for free for maybe a 30min talk on the phone
So I went to this site https://www.miniusa.com/owners/tools...rt/recall.html and https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/ to see if there was any recall. Both say that there are 0 open recalls on the the vehicle. Does this mean the previous owner had already made use of the recalls and I am out of luck?

Old 05-12-2019, 07:13 PM
DarkMiniz091
Neutral
Originally Posted by TheSideJoe
So I went to this site https://www.miniusa.com/owners/tools...rt/recall.html and https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/ to see if there was any recall. Both say that there are 0 open recalls on the the vehicle. Does this mean the previous owner had already made use of the recalls and I am out of luck?

Call the dealershop

Old 05-13-2019, 08:45 AM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
You're out of luck, best learn to do it on your own to save money. It's not that hard, you will just need to invest in a few tools.