Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Cannot get car to idle.( posting in couple spots)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 10:44 AM
mini907
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cannot get car to idle.( posting in couple spots)

So did in frame rebuild on engine so all new pistons rings bearings, time chain etc. 180 compression all the way across. but car will not idle runs down road fine but if you dont keep you foot on the gas it dies. It is throwing no codes,was throwing cam retard code but since I installed two new vanos it has not done that. It was weird though before engine would fire up and sound very smooth and quite. Then it would get loud like lifters and valves were rattling and I would get the cam retard code. But it would idle like this but just sounded terrible. But drove down the road fine and idled fine.

Looks like it is running rich by looking at plugs.

I have changed

Both oxy sensors

Both vanos

Both cam sensors

and temp sensor

thanks for any ideas

Old 05-12-2019, 08:32 AM
mini907
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
took valve cover off last night and saw that cam followers are all jacked up not sure

if this is the idle problem or why they are like that. the guides are all worn/chewed up looking but not sure what would have caused them to do that.