Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Changing xenon bulbs shorted FRM? Confused and frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 02:36 PM
Zachary Nguyen
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Changing xenon bulbs shorted FRM? Confused and frustrated

Hey guys, another day another problem. I had might front right D1S bulb go out so I got a pair of Philips Xtreme vision gen 2 to replace them. I undid the negative terminal and the power harnesses to the headlights. Took out the old bulbs and put the new ones in no problem. When I put the negative terminal back there was a little arc and a tiny bit of smoke. When I started the car, the headlight bulbs turned on right away but the high beams didn’t work and neither did the fog or parking lights. I got the red service light with the car on the lift and the clock and trip odometer had reset. I scanned the codes and got some footwell module FRM related stuff. I attached them in the pictures below. Any ideas on how to fix this most easily and cheap? I appreciate all the help. Seems like every simple maintenance fix has turned into a bigger more expensive and time consuming issue.

A3C1 - message error (footwell module 0x4F0) receiver instrument panel, transmitter footwell module
A3B4 - message

error (lighting state 0x21A) receiver instrument panel, transmitter footwell module

Old 04-26-2019, 08:12 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Disconnecting the battery will reset the clock and date. Not a biggie, just update the time. Next, do your windows work?

Old 04-26-2019, 08:22 PM
Zachary Nguyen
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Disconnecting the battery will reset the clock and date. Not a biggie, just update the time. Next, do your windows work?
windows do not work. Same with fog lights, turn signals, and some other stuff. I’m 95% sure my footwell module is just toast at this point. Got a dealership appointment Tuesday, hopefully it’s covered under the extended warranty thing

Old 04-26-2019, 08:28 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Yup that was my next suggestion. Some people experience the same thing after rehooking the battery. Hopefully the dealer covers it but if not, you can always buy a used one with matching part number. It'll be plug and play for the most part, though it's recommended to code it to the car.

Keep us posted

Last edited by MiniToBe; 06-02-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:41 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Zachary Nguyen
Got a dealership appointment Tuesday, hopefully it’s covered under the extended warranty thing
I suggest that you put the original bulbs back and don't tell them you did anything.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:21 AM
Drexial
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Yup that was my next suggestion. Some people experience the same thing after rehooking the battery. Hopefully the dealer covers it but if not, you can always buy abused one with matching part number. It'll be plug and play for the most part, though it's recommended to code it to the car.

Keep us posted
How plug and play is it?

I might be getting screwed out of the extended warranty for some reason. They looked up my car and said it was only covered for 8 years, not the more recently extended 10 years. Which it just missed by 2 months.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:27 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
With matching numbers, it is stright plug and play. It is BETTER to program and code it to make it a true replacement.

You can invest in Winfkp, NCS, and the latest SPdaten files along with K+Dcan cable to do this job. These are fairly cheap, by the way. Or if there is a nearby mini enthusiast who can do it, that would be nice. It takes about 15 mins to program and code.

Also as previous poster said, put back the halogen lights to see if that actually fixes it. Maybe it got confuse by introducing the new assembly.

I'm in NE philly PA if you need any help.