Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Fuel injector testing

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 08:15 PM
Rsfire
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel injector testing

Hey guys, I'm having a strange issue with one of my injectors in my 2010 JCW. When I would try to start the car injector 2 just starts dumping fuel into the cylinder. All the others look to be fine.

I pulled the injectors out and they visually look fine, and they have similar ohm readings across the board.

Does anyone have any ideas of other ways to test the injectors?

Does anyone have any ideas what may cause one injector to flood out like that?

thanks!

Old 02-11-2019, 10:06 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
it could be just stuck open.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:59 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Rsfire
Hey guys, I'm having a strange issue with one of my injectors in my 2010 JCW. When I would try to start the car injector 2 just starts dumping fuel into the cylinder. All the others look to be fine.

I pulled the injectors out and they visually look fine, and they have similar ohm readings across the board.

Does anyone have any ideas of other ways to test the injectors?

Does anyone have any ideas what may cause one injector to flood out like that?

thanks!
You've tested the injectors. At least replace the injector that dumps fuel. Why? The injector is bad. If the cost is not prohibitive I'd replace all injectors just on general principles.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:01 PM
Rsfire
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RockC
You've tested the injectors. At least replace the injector that dumps fuel. Why? The injector is bad. If the cost is not prohibitive I'd replace all injectors just on general principles.
I have not tested them other than with the ohm meter. And sadly cost is prohibitive, especially if that's not the issue. Which I'm thinking is the case.

I swapped out injector 2 and 3. Cyl 2 still fills with fuel.

I even unplugged inj 2 and the cylinder still fills with fuel after I shut the car off. I took intake off too for the heck of it, same thing.

It's very repetitive, I start the car without spark plug 2 in, runs crappy for few seconds, then shut off. I run to engine and look down spark plug hole. I can see fuel flowing very rapidly into cylinder and after a couple seconds it shuts off abruptly.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:05 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Did you do compression test?

Old 02-11-2019, 08:22 PM
Rsfire
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Did you do compression test?
nope not yet, I cannot find my compression tester at the moment.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:31 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Rsfire
I have not tested them other than with the ohm meter. And sadly cost is prohibitive, especially if that's not the issue. Which I'm thinking is the case.

I swapped out injector 2 and 3. Cyl 2 still fills with fuel.

I even unplugged inj 2 and the cylinder still fills with fuel after I shut the car off. I took intake off too for the heck of it, same thing.

It's very repetitive, I start the car without spark plug 2 in, runs crappy for few seconds, then shut off. I run to engine and look down spark plug hole. I can see fuel flowing very rapidly into cylinder and after a couple seconds it shuts off abruptly.
If the #2 cylinder fills with fuel after swapping injectors #2 and #3 (and #3 cylinder not manifesting the fuel filling behavior) there must be another source of fuel to account for the fuel in the #2 cylinder. Perhaps an enriching injector?