Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Unlocking from inside without key

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 01:59 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Unlocking from inside without key

Ive looked for an answer but can’t find one. The other day me and my wife were out driving around. We stopped at a store and she didn’t feel like going in so I ran in and locked the car for her protection. I instinctively took the keys with me. While I was gone she tried to exit the vehicle but could not. The center console unlock toggle wouldn’t work, the door handles did nothing and the door buttons are almost flush with the door. Is there a way to unlock the doors from the inside without having the key fob like on American cars? This seems like a safety issue to me especially if you don’t know this can happen. Seems like there should be a warning posted in the vehicle. Or maybe mine is malfunctioning.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:05 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
Tgriffithjr
It's working correctly - if you lock the car with the remote, there's NO way out from inside.
Apparently, this is common on several euro makes. I understand it's something to do with leaving a car locked with the windows down so that nobody can reach inside and unlock it.
To my knowledge, there are at least two instances of people dying because of this. I think it's a lethal feature but there's no (known) way of changing it.
Leaving a second remote in the car is one remedy or it should be possible to put a hidden push-button somewhere inaccessible from the outside.
I may be wrong, but I think the door buttons are useless - even if you could grip them, they either won't move or don't do anything if they did.
If anybody knows differently, I'd love to hear about it.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:24 PM
Minidogger
4th Gear
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Wowser this is good to know. My wife likes to have the door locked when sitting in a parking lot. She would freak if no way out.

I usually leave the key but good to know it's mandatory.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:10 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Can't the passenger toggle the doors locked from the inside while they're just sitting there?

Old 02-03-2019, 05:17 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts
Would the later style buttons work?

Even if the door lock pin has a graspable head, would it manually unlock by pulling up,
or would the robot autolock override it?

Old 02-03-2019, 05:24 PM
co0p3r
4th Gear
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
If you were truly 'trapped' in the car you pull the manual release under the rear seat and pop the hatch open in the hatch back.

In a convertible I would think you could basically do the same thing but would have to climb through the folded down rear seats and out the boot.

Agreed none are fun but you are not going to die, and you might like like a crazy person at the CVS doing this.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:04 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Originally Posted by co0p3r
If you were truly 'trapped' in the car you pull the manual release under the rear seat and pop the hatch open in the hatch back.

In a convertible I would think you could basically do the same thing but would have to climb through the folded down rear seats and out the boot.

Agreed none are fun but you are not going to die, and you might like like a crazy person at the CVS doing this.
That might work assuming it’s not an emergency and the individual isn’t panicked. I’m surprised that this hasn’t been corrected or that a major lawsuit hasn’t developed over this.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:33 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
The story I read somewhere, maybe on a BMW forum?
Brother & sister drove to school. His class started early; sister's class started later so she decided to sleep in the car. He went into school, locking the car with the remote.
There are several possible scenarios including attracting attention, smashing a window, calling 911 or exiting through the trunk. Sadly, I imagine she didn't wake up.

There appear to be only 3 wires to the receiver. It seems to me that connecting 2 might send a signal to the Body Control Module. I'm thinking of a micro push-button switch in the little grille in the roof - on the early cars I think the receiver is behind it. However, if the BCM is inactivated by the remote locking, that won't work.
It might be possible to do something with the door lock wiring where there are 6 wires into the BCM - my Haynes manual is not very explicit.
On later cars, the receiver is in the mirror.

Lifting the button? I think, but I'm not certain, that electricty is needed to operate the locks.

I, too, am surprised this is all 'legal' & there have been lawsuits, but apparently MB, Volvo &/or VW have the same feature.

Last edited by MVPeters; 02-03-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:48 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Old 02-03-2019, 07:13 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MVPeters
Lifting the button? I think, but I'm not certain, that electricty is needed to operate the locks.
Apparently you're correct,
found this:

Unlocking from inside without key-lyra226.png

I'd say it's definitely a design flaw, quite dangerous, and unthoughtfully negligent engineering on BMW's part.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:42 AM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
This thread should be a sticky so that everyone is aware of this. It might prevent a death. I am a recently retired chief of public safety (police/fire). I ran a campaign to remind people not to leave their children locked in vehicles. Although it’s unlikely that someone will have small children in a Mini due to space constraints, I can imagine anything is possible. Even still, the laws in many states allow a child of , say eight yoa, to be left alone in a vehicle for a short period of time. This is the case in Texas where I’m from. I can imagine an eight yoa child being extremely panicked or worse if this were to happen to them or if they were trapped and needed to get out in a hurry.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:39 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tgriffithjr
This thread should be a sticky so that everyone is aware of this. It might prevent a death. I am a recently retired chief of public safety (police/fire). I ran a campaign to remind people not to leave their children locked in vehicles. Although it’s unlikely that someone will have small children in a Mini due to space constraints, I can imagine anything is possible. Even still, the laws in many states allow a child of , say eight yoa, to be left alone in a vehicle for a short period of time. This is the case in Texas where I’m from. I can imagine an eight yoa child being extremely panicked or worse if this were to happen to them or if they were trapped and needed to get out in a hurry.
Found quite a few stories of children being locked in BMW's...

...after a brief google it seems that the locked-in incident percentage rate is a fairly high number with this "deadlock" design.

Link to the pdf article that I quote earlier:
http://www.lockmasters.com/site/pdfs...%20article.pdf

Yet another example of invasive tech being a liability instead of an aid.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:06 AM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Interesting. I can tell you that in the department I led, the officers were instructed to break windows if a child appeared to be in any distress whatsoever. However, you are still left with the inability to unlock the vehicle and open doors to extract the child. The officer or firefighter would be required to enter the vehicle through a window and remove the child through the window, or use hydraulic tools ( aka Jaws of Life) to pry the door open. I can’t understand why there isn’t a prominent warning posted to remind owners of this feature. I will see if I can contact my local elected official to let them know about this. This should be addressed at the federal level to require this to be an optional feature that can be engaged or disengaged by the owner.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:40 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
You're talking about an R53, right? To open from the inside, just pull on the open door handle twice (the first pull will unlock). For the driver's door, your wife would have needed to reach over to the other side.

Last edited by rkw; 02-04-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:49 AM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Sorry, but no.
If the doors have been locked with the remote, they cannot be opened from the inside.

By the way, the two-pull opening is, I believe, programmable to only one pull.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:27 AM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
She didn’t have the remote with her. As you can see from the article written by a locksmith it is extremely difficult to unlock the vehicle even with the correct locksmith tools. My wife needed to open the door because she felt sick. She had to force herself to not vomit. Poor thing! My car is an R52.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:30 AM
lotter1
4th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell

I'd say it's definitely a design flaw, quite dangerous, and unthoughtfully negligent engineering on BMW's part.
I would not call this a design flaw or un-thoughtful, but rather think about it being designed for a different market segment. Just like the NAS feature in the programming of the BCM or red flashing turn signal instead of amber. When I first moved to the States, the flashing brake light drove me insane as I was expecting amber, not to mention if you loose one bulb, you loose both brakes and turn signals (Some cars have more brake lights than turn signals, but not all). And on a side note, I usually leave the key with the occupant if I want them to be safely locked inside.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:26 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lotter1
I would not call this a design flaw or un-thoughtful, but rather think about it being designed for a different market segment. Just like the NAS feature in the programming of the BCM or red flashing turn signal instead of amber. When I first moved to the States, the flashing brake light drove me insane as I was expecting amber, not to mention if you loose one bulb, you loose both brakes and turn signals (Some cars have more brake lights than turn signals, but not all). And on a side note, I usually leave the key with the occupant if I want them to be safely locked inside.
Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part as it is indeed an intentional design which has been thoughtfully evolved over a few generations now, it just boils my blood that in the name of security they sacrifice safety in the process, to me that's simply a stupid move.

But I'm an old curmudgeon who resents all the techno gadgetry applied to vehicles these days, I much prefer manual controls for almost everything as it's usually much simpler and easier to fix as well as cheaper for the DIY owner.

For instance,
I always converted my mid 80's Saabs from electric to manual windows LOL
I still have a good clutch of window winders!

Unlocking from inside without key-vssmnhq.jpg

I'm with you on the red turn signals --- not good and I wonder how they became so prevalent over here.
I got myself some Euro MINI amber brake lights but I need to joey mod them before install.
I much prefer amber turn signals.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:29 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Amazing how some will defend a mechanical device at the expense of the safety of people.

Oh, and inthe future, now that I am aware of this poor safety design, I will leave a key with the occupant. Poor SAFETY design is how I would state it.

Last edited by Tgriffithjr; 02-04-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:46 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts
Interesting thread....I'm gonna have to see what happens when I lock the cars by the key in the door......neither of my cars has the "remote" locking feature.....my '04 R53 does not have the button fob, I didn't want to pay $300 for a key......and my '06 R52 remote button fob doesn't work, or maybe the receiver in the mirror is bad.....

Bryan

Old 02-04-2019, 03:11 PM
lotter1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tgriffithjr
Amazing how some will defend a mechanical device at the expense of the safety of people.

Oh, and inthe future, now that I am aware of this poor safety design, I will leave a key with the occupant. Poor SAFETY design is how I would state it.
So how would you describe an iron? Poorly thought out idea? Seeing that there is a label on it warning people not to iron clothes while wearing it? Hot piece of metal with no protection around it.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think it is a great idea, unless maybe for a convertible while the top is down.
There are multiple items on the market that has its own inherent risk and could cause safety issues if not fully understood or used as intended.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:12 PM
lotter1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell
But I'm an old curmudgeon who resents all the techno gadgetry applied to vehicles these days, I much prefer manual controls for almost everything as it's usually much simpler and easier to fix as well as cheaper for the DIY owner.
I am almost with you! I really don't like all these cars making driving easier to be distracted. But I do like my heated seats!

Old 02-04-2019, 03:45 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Unlocking from inside without key - deadlocking.

I should point out that there may be variations in how this 'deadlocking' works, depending on the year, model & options.
Consider early cars with 2-button fobs, later cars with 3-button fobs, proximity 'keys' & fobs or options such as automatic locking, Comfort Access or Convenience Locking.
Couple this with dead fob batteries, receivers that don't work, recut or un-synchronised keys & the combinations are pretty endless.

I'd suggest you find out exactly how YOUR car works.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:49 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lotter1
So how would you describe an iron? Poorly thought out idea? Seeing that there is a label on it warning people not to iron clothes while wearing it? Hot piece of metal with no protection around it.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think it is a great idea, unless maybe for a convertible while the top is down.
There are multiple items on the market that has its own inherent risk and could cause safety issues if not fully understood or used as intended.
Why are you asking me this question? I believe I made my opinion perfectly clear. If you can’t differentiate the difference in safety issues between a hot iron and possibly being trapped in a vehicle then I can’t help you. It’s a dumb safety feature. A person should be able to open a vehicle from inside with or without a remote. Besides why are you taking offense? I don’t recall addressing you personally with any of my comments.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:23 PM
lotter1
4th Gear
I am not taking offense, just thought we are having a healthy debate discussing our opinions, but I guess that is not the case. I will let the topic be........

Quick Reply: Unlocking from inside without key