Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

HELP- Can’t change gears (first post)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 11:05 AM
cpuk
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP- Can’t change gears (first post)

2008 MINI Cooper NA base

Periodically I cannot select any gear from neutral. I have removed the air intake and lubricated the gear selector mechanism, that sits inside of the transmission. In the past records for my car, the clutch switch module is replaced by the BMW dealership. If I turn the car off and on or allow it to idle for a while, eventually the gear will be able to be selected. Do you think it could be the switch module? If so where is it located? Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:19 AM
mkov608
5th Gear
Received 130 Likes on 97 Posts
How many miles are on the vehicle? What is the mileage on current clutch? What the clutch recently changed?

Have you checked the clutch master and slave cylinders for leakage?

Have you checked the brake fluid reservoir fluid level? ... That's the fluid supply for the clutch master cylinder.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:15 AM
cpuk
Neutral
The car has 140k and has the original clutch. At 32k the dealer replaced the clutch switch module for a similar issue. The original owner is my Grandfather so we have all records. The answeres to all your other questions are, no. But I did just replace the front brakes and bled the system. So the brake fluid was full at that time a few months ago. My grandfather is convinced it is the same clutch switch as the symptoms are the same. However, since it was done by the dealer, we have no idea where it is located or how to change. Any insights are appreciated

Old 01-27-2019, 10:48 AM
mkov608
5th Gear
Received 130 Likes on 97 Posts
140K miles on the original clutch! That's very good. The owner of Fairfield Imports in Pensocola told me it was impossible that I had 120K miles on my original clutch. It's not the clutch disk that's the problem, it's the undersized release bearing. I changed my clutch at 125K miles just as a preventive maintenance measure. The disk still had plenty of wear left based on measurements of the new and old disks, but the release bearing was completely void of any lubricant and was on the way out.

Funny thing with clutches is, one driver can get 140K miles out of a clutch while another driver may need to change it at 10K miles ... it's all how you drive it.

If you don't see any leakage coming from the master and slave cylinders, and that hydraulic circuit is bled, I would suspect your release bearing and or pressure plate is shot.

OBTW, the "clutch switch module" BMW adds the word module so they can charge you more, is a simple clutch switch. It only sends signals to the DME and DSC as to the position of the clutch pedal. It will not effect mechanical operation of the clutch.

Last edited by mkov608; 01-27-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:54 PM
cpuk
Neutral
Originally Posted by mkov608
140K miles on the original clutch! That's very good. The owner of Fairfield Imports in Pensocola told me it was impossible that I had 120K miles on my original clutch. It's not the clutch disk that's the problem, it's the undersized release bearing. I changed my clutch at 125K miles just as a preventive maintenance measure. The disk still had plenty of wear left based on measurements of the new and old disks, but the release bearing was completely void of any lubricant and was on the way out.

Funny thing with clutches is, one driver can get 140K miles out of a clutch while another driver may need to change it at 10K miles ... it's all how you drive it.

If you don't see any leakage coming from the master and slave cylinders, and that hydraulic circuit is bled, I would suspect your release bearing and or pressure plate is shot.

OBTW, the "clutch switch module" BMW adds the word module so they can charge you more, is a simple clutch switch. It only sends signals to the DME and DSC as to the position of the clutch pedal. It will not effect mechanical operation of the clutch.
Thanks again fot the info. Before I dig into the clutch I would like to test the switch with my multimeter to rule it out. Do you know where the switch is located? My grandfather really knows how to drive a stick shift. Double clutch down shifts, rev matching etc... he took excellent care of the car. Only had one set of brakes too.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:32 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Head over to https://www.newtis.info & realoem.com for parts/locations, etc.