Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

R55S With P052B Code

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 12:52 PM
Superfrog73
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R55S With P052B Code

Need some advice before I start throwing away our home hunting $$$ here. I got a 2012 Hampton Clubman S, picked it up used about 7 months ago. Currently has about 57K on it, it's due for an oil change (about 4500 miles since last one), new plugs, clean air filter, and generally ran fine. Generally use it for my commuter, about 20 miles during the work week (I live close to work).

Yesterday morning, a particularly cold day in Northern Virginia, I couldn't get more than about 1/4 mile and the CEL went off. I've got a plug in scanner and checked codes when I pulled into the local grocery store. Got P052B (Permanent), P0300-304, and P0012. Tried clearing but immediately came back. Drove the car back home and took the soccer mommobile to work instead. Today, got a chance to look under the hood. Cleaned and swapped the camshaft sensors (to see if intake retardation moved to exhaust) and pulled the battery to try and clear the permanent code. The 300 codes and the 0012 code did not come back (but the car hasn't moved, so no load just idle). Took note of the start up. Engine starts as expected, not rough nor any abnormal sounds from the engine bay that I can tell (and today is warmer). Within about 20-30 seconds, get the dash alarm and the engine begins to idle really rough and RPMs bounce around but are pretty low (<500 I think, looking just off the TAC).

My first thought with all the codes was timing chain and/or tensioner. But I didn't get, from what I've read, the tell tail rattle. I had planned on doing some preventative maintenance and change out the timing chain and parts this summer with better weather.

Now, I'm reading that this could be the HPFP? If I'm using my scanner, what should I be looking for? I can set up log files and get some readings, see if I can confirm fuel system. I've also read that this could be caused by the fuel filter in some cases, which would be an easy fix (and something I was going to replace this spring anyway).

Anyway, just looking for advice going forward, see if anyone can add to what to check before I take it into the shop. As rough as the engine is, don't think it'll make it on its own power at the moment. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-27-2019, 04:09 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 1,403 Posts
Old 01-27-2019, 08:05 AM
Superfrog73
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
Yea, was looking at that, too. Been doing some research and figured out how to graph my fuel rail on my scanner (backyard mechanic here). HPFP looked good so I eliminated the fuel system. I did reverse the cam sensors from intake to exhaust but didn't see a change. I pulled the only VANOS solenoid and didn't look bad. Didn't realize there was one on the back side of the block as well until I came back up and did a bit more research. And what a PITA it was getting the intake VANOS out, but good thing I did. It was caked up and required some cleaning. Got the Mini back together and did a test start, runs fine now. Still have the CEL, says the P052B is a "permanent" code. Did some quick research, apparently these type of codes require specific driving patterns to prove to the computer the fault is cleared.

Anyway, old parts in for now. I'll be ordering a new set of VANOS and install on a later date. Oil change too when the weather is better, along with the fuel filter. God knows how well the previous owners took care of this car... not much I think. The first oil change I did, looked like asphalt.