Go Back  North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > Stock Problems/Issues
Oil Pan: Silicone gasket vs fel-pro gasket >

Oil Pan: Silicone gasket vs fel-pro gasket

Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Old 01-06-2019, 07:17 PM
Scarecrow Soze
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fixing a nasty curb hit on my dad's r56. I ordered all the parts I needed before I started working. Rock auto had only the normal type gaskets available so I ordered the felpro oil pan gasket. It was only after I removed the oil pan that I noticed mini had used a silicone gasket. The picture of gasket (still in the mail, hasn't arrived) looks like it fits.

My question is, (knowing there must've been a reason mini switched from gasket to silicone), has anyone used and had success with the felpro gasket? I rather not deal with returning it, but if the felpro won't keep the oil in for the long run, I rather use the silicone. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:23 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 368 Likes on 324 Posts
We just use the silicone in our shop rather than a gasket.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-08-2019, 03:19 PM
Scarecrow Soze
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool, sending back the fel pro, picking up the silicone at the dealer. Thanks.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:10 PM
I like mini clubman's
4th Gear
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
My mini just had silicone gasket glue. There was no actual gasket. I ordered the felpro gasket from rockauto.com also and its a good quality piece. I haven't installed it yet as I'm waiting on a few bungs to weld to the pan. I think my repair manual says to just use silicone glue also, no gasket required.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:22 PM
CantComplain
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the Bentley specifically mentions a fiber or some other material gasket and I think says not to use silicone. Paraphrasing here as it's been a couple months since I read it. I had already ordered the silicone and used it. It held the first time; I had to do another teardown to replace rings that were bad. It was a b!tch to get the pan off again. I ended up whacking it hard multiple times with a 2x6 to get it loose. As far as I know that's the only downside.

After the ring work I used silicone again. Was contemplating not ordering another tube as I THOUGHT I could go another round with the 2nd half but chickened out. The 2nd round is also successfully holding after ~100 miles. I'm a fan.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:00 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I used a FelPro gasket on mine when I pulled the oil pan off several years ago.....not leaks as of yet, so I'm pretty happy with it.