Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Out of fuel but not out of fuel

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 06:16 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Out of fuel but not out of fuel

Here is a mind twister. I recently replaced my fuel pump. Everything worked great including fuel level. Then about a week later I ran out of gas with the gauge reading 1/8th tank. Light had just activated. Stranded on the side of the road would not start. Didn’t suspect no fuel because of gauge reading. What the heck, figured I give fuel a try just in case. Put in a gallon n and it starts really gut up. So now I have to make sure I put gas in when I hit 1/4 tank.

Fast forward two weeks. I’m once again driving down the highway and I’m at 1/4 tank headed to the gas station when the car dies. It doesn’t die all at once but slowly loses power for about 15 seconds then shuts off. I coast to the side of the road and the same thing, no start. I call for help thinking out of gas again. Heap, put n a gallon and it starts up. Here is where it gets weird.

I drive to the nearest gas station about three miles away. Fill up takes 10.6 gallons. With the gallon I put in earlier that totals 11.6 gallons. I have a 2006 R52 which has a fuel capacity of 13.2 gallons. Doing the math I should have had 1.6 gallons in the tank when I supposedly ran out. So what’s up?

I know the Mini tank is in two halves. I also understand that there are two sending units (don’t get me started on that stupid design). I also understand that the gauge reading is an average of the levels in the two sides. So, how does that explain me running out of gas when I had gas in the tank? Could the right side contain fuel while the left side (pump side) was empty and therefore not pushing fuel pressure? Any ideas or knowledge would be appreciated s.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:22 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
I found this on another site regarding my exact problem. Seems I may be on the right track just have to throw more money at this complexly engineered vehicle. Why couldnt they keep things simple?

forgot the link to the other site.
https://minicooperforums.com/forum/m...h-liners-7841/