Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

6 speed transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 01:07 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
6 speed transmission noise

I can find threads on the 5 speed but nothing on the 6-speed relative to a "whirling" type noise I am now getting while rpms increase.
So, my car has 60,000 on it and I have done a fair amount of engine modifications. My 6-speed has been making a whirling sound as the rpms increase. I am use Redline and changed it last Friday before making a mountain run. Fluid level was fine and at first the whirl was goneSo, my car has 60,000 on it and I have done a fair amount of engine modifications. My 6-speed has been making a whirling sound as the rpms increase. I am use Redline and changed it last Friday before making a mountain run. Fluid level was fine and at first the whirl was gone

I just passed 60,000 miles and I do have more than a few engine mods. Also hard of hearing so if I can hear it than its loud. Last week I changed the fluids, I use Redline, before I did a mountain run. Level was correct and after changing the whirl was gone but with some good twisties it is back. I do have powerflex both on the front suspension and the lower motor mount so this may be transferring more noise to the body that in turn my ears can pick up. The octave changes as the rpms increase and with the clutch in, the whirling stops. My father had a Stake Rack Truck that whined pretty good in 1st but I don't think my r53 ever did.

No chatter in the clutch that I can hear.

Thoughts?

Old 09-03-2018, 02:45 PM
DamnCampers
3rd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Noisy throwout bearing maybe? My mini has a similar sound after starting up till its all warmed up. Pressing the clutch in makes the noise go away. Until the car is warmed up if i release the clutch the noise comes back sometimes, just not always in the same pitch.

I believe I'm still on the stock clutch at 130k miles with no slipping as I didn't get any service records from the PO. My noisy throwout bearing has been there since I purchased the car.