Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Overheating???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 02:30 PM
pepperwhitejcw
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overheating???

Okay so my car began overheating today, but before we get to that. I already replaced the thermostat with housing and gasket (preventative maintenance), an aluminum coolant tank (previous was leaking a tad). I check my fluids everytime I need gas. Today I was at half a tank of gas and overheated. Coolant was low.

What could it be on these cars given everything I’ve replaced already? Water pump?

Thanks for any insight.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:46 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperwhitejcw
Okay so my car began overheating today, but before we get to that. I already replaced the thermostat with housing and gasket (preventative maintenance), an aluminum coolant tank (previous was leaking a tad). I check my fluids everytime I need gas. Today I was at half a tank of gas and overheated. Coolant was low.

What could it be on these cars given everything I’ve replaced already? Water pump?

Thanks for any insight.
It is possible for the radiator to leak and lose coolant, that evaporates away. If it has a plastic tank on the ends, they have a tendency to leak, sooner or later.
In the hot weather, you need the two speed fan to operate on both speeds and VERY often the slow speed goes out.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:13 PM
pepperwhitejcw
2nd Gear
Gotcha I’ll look into that.

Thanks.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:17 PM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Are you losing coolant at the cap?

Some of these expensive replacement aluminum tanks use the same plastic cap as the OE plastic tank. If so, that OE cap is a part with a moderate failure rate, possibly higher than the tank itself.

If it’s not holding pressure, you’ll spew coolant and overheat.

The following users liked this post:
RB-MINI (09-01-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 07:05 PM
pepperwhitejcw
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
Are you losing coolant at the cap?

Some of these expensive replacement aluminum tanks use the same plastic cap as the OE plastic tank. If so, that OE cap is a part with a moderate failure rate, possibly higher than the tank itself.

If it’s not holding pressure, you’ll spew coolant and overheat.
naah I don’t remember which one i got but here’s a pic of when I installed it.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:55 AM
bansasn
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hairline crack head gasket?

Old 08-30-2018, 11:02 AM
DJLMINI
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you getting any white paste under your oil fill cap?

Old 08-30-2018, 11:08 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
First have your Coolant Fans checked... the Number 1 reason for over heating (IMO) I have found more Fan Resisters going bad then any other reason for over heating.

Several ways to check the Resistor Kit is about $50. compared to a complete fan kit at about $300.

More often than you think it is the resistor pack that dies and the high speed fan stops working.

Best of luck resolving it.

Motor On!

Old 08-30-2018, 11:21 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
It's evident you are not spitting fluid from the cap or tank, no Splatter..
These cars are very finicky when it comes to air being in the system, make sure you have bled the system properly and have not put too much coolant in the reservoir.
I would get a block tester and see if there are exhaust gases in the cooling system which would indicate a bad head gasket. I would also do a pressure test to see if the system is holding pressure.
Are your low/high speed fans coming on?

Old 09-01-2018, 09:25 AM
crd22
Neutral
Originally Posted by JABowders
First have your Coolant Fans checked... the Number 1 reason for over heating (IMO) I have found more Fan Resisters going bad then any other reason for over heating.

Several ways to check the Resistor Kit is about $50. compared to a complete fan kit at about $300.

More often than you think it is the resistor pack that dies and the high speed fan stops working.

Motor On!
I think this may be the issue with my car... Like the first post, I've replaced the thermostat and coolant expansion tank (albeit an OEM one) which came with a new cap so I doubted that was the issue.

I had overheated in the middle of a hot day in completely stopped traffic and I had checked and my reservoir was empty and the engine bay was all wet - from what I've heard though, it's not abnormal to boil over even with a good cap (right?).

After refilling and bleeding and finding no leaks or losing coolant, I tested the fan via this video (
) and got the low speed to work but just a click when giving power to the high speed. After some investigation, I found out my 2002 S doesn't use a fuse box high speed fan relay so it's gotta be in the fan itself then, right? (that's why the fan clicks when giving it power...?)

What I don't get though is that everywhere I see mentions the resistor in the fan which commonly dies, killing the low speed fan, but my low speed fan does seem to be working. I also couldn't find any 2002/2003 wiring diagrams either to find more information on how they differ from 2004+ because I know minimally they don't share the same stage 2 relay.
Any thoughts on what I should be replacing to fix the high speed fan?

Old 09-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Zsm
4th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

A replacement fan unit for the ‘02 R53 is about $85 on Amazon.

We replaced the one on ours about a year ago with the TYC branded one from Amazon and it’s been working just fine The old fan lost the low speed, but high speed was still working.

Now low speed comes on right away (along with the power steering fan) as soon as the A/C is switched on. I don’t hear high speed as much anymore after changing out the thermostat, but I know it’s working as well.

Check to make sure your power steering fan is also coming on when A/C is switched on. I believe the fans are somehow on the same circuit.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:09 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Zsm

A replacement fan unit for the ‘02 R53 is about $85 on Amazon.

We replaced the one on ours about a year ago with the TYC branded one from Amazon and it’s been working just fine The old fan lost the low speed, but high speed was still working.

Now low speed comes on right away (along with the power steering fan) as soon as the A/C is switched on. I don’t hear high speed as much anymore after changing out the thermostat, but I know it’s working as well.

Check to make sure your power steering fan is also coming on when A/C is switched on. I believe the fans are somehow on the same circuit.
This. Just put a new radiator in and be done with it.

Be sure to check the fuse too. I can't remember which one it is.

My ac compressor died because I drove to long without the fan working so I would install the new radiator as soon as possible

Old 09-04-2018, 02:13 PM
DTMLGND
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JABowders

Motor On!
This ^^^^^

My electric fan stopped and thankfully I wasn't driving it much before it was diagnosed. Could have overheated and caused real damage.

Car has been traded in as of yesterday though! Tranny was going.