Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2003 R53 Electrical Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 03:56 PM
GAMad
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 R53 Electrical Issue?

Long story so I’ll make it short: friend of mine called me up and asked me to look at a R53 for her teenage daughter. Took the car out for a test drive and everything worked great and the car ran good just needs new tires. The engine had been “rebuilt” a year or so ago along with the clutch being replaced. So I said buy if you like it and she did. Now I get a call from her four days later telling me that the A/C and power steering is cutting off while driving and then turning back on. I had her bring it over and after driving it I confirmed that the A/C and PS was shutting off and coming back on at intermittent time intervals. I also noticed that everything electrical inside the car was turning off as well (speedo, tach, and all other gauges, interior lights, radio). I also noticed that I could smell battery acid coming from the back of the car. The battery was hotter than I would like it to be. I put my digital multi meter on the battery while still connected and the car running and watched the voltage. When the car was running correctly it had 12.5 volts and I checked it again when all the items listed above shut off and it was pushing 18 to 19 volts. I know this is not a good thing and would explain the warm battery and acid smell. I don’t know if when the voltage spiked and then everything shut off or if it spiked after everything shut off. I took the alternator off this afternoon and going to see if I can find a place to have it tested tomorrow. I am hoping that this is the issue and not something else electrical.

Has as anyone had an issue like this before and if so what was the issue. Could the power steering pump cause this issue?

I am am new to Mini’s so I know nothing about them but found this forum very helpful thanks for creating it.