Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

First and Reverse Gear Problem

Old 06-26-2018, 03:37 PM
tenutso
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First and Reverse Gear Problem

I just picked up a used 2005 mini cooper cabrio which I initially thought had a worn clutch but after testing it, I can clearly see another issue is present. When I go into first it's a longer gear.. probably 3rd. Reverse is actually going forward... Probably in 5th as it's a very long gear. Before I dump an investment in any repairs, anyone have any advise or suggestions as what could be happening? The car drives fantastic once it's going. I can cruise nicely in 1st at 2500 rpm.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:55 AM
ShipM8
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm not trying to be a smart-alec, but I don't understand. Do you think you're in one gear but it feels like you're in another? Is there a reverse that works? When you say you can cruise in 1st how fast are you going? I'm going to follow because my curiosity has taken over! Good luck with the solution.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:14 AM
tenutso
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ShipM8
I'm not trying to be a smart-alec, but I don't understand. Do you think you're in one gear but it feels like you're in another? Is there a reverse that works? When you say you can cruise in 1st how fast are you going? I'm going to follow because my curiosity has taken over! Good luck with the solution.

With further testing I can confirm that everything in the up position goes into 3rd and everything in the down position goes into 4th including second and reverse. It sounds perplexing, I know.. but now that I think about, maybe the linkage isn't engaging properly? It's only responding to the forward and backward motion at two positions.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:37 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
A buddy with an R60 had a similar issue to what is being described and it turned out to be one of the two shifter linkages that broke.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:39 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Consider the high likelihood of worn or abused shifter cables. Salt pickled in Toronto winter salt brine. Not clear what your worn clutch is accurate description of a typical one. If the clutch is draggy it will affect shifting too. It is also possible the plastic gear shift cable anchor is badly abused and damaged by incompetent mechanic who worked on it.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:56 AM
tenutso
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
Consider the high likelihood of worn or abused shifter cables. Salt pickled in Toronto winter salt brine. Not clear what your worn clutch is accurate description of a typical one. If the clutch is draggy it will affect shifting too. It is also possible the plastic gear shift cable anchor is badly abused and damaged by incompetent mechanic who worked on it.
Just to conclude this thread. It was a worn shift cable. I have a temporary fix in place at the moment using of a heavy duty zip tie since it's on the side to side motion affected. Until I get around to replacing both cables. Drives like a dream otherwise.