Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

R53 Cooper S no Acceleration/Power goes limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 12:08 PM
BigCode232
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 Cooper S no Acceleration/Power goes limp mode

This Is my first post as I am very new to both the forum and the world of mini coopers as well. Recently my 2004 manual cooper s had gotten work done to fix the steering column, axle, and control arm on the front right side of the car after meeting a curb. I got the car back last night and as I was leaving the garage that worked on it I gave it a bit of throttle and at first I was confused because it was just slow and then it popped up a cel light and went into limp mode. I pulled over and the garage mechanic came to meet me. He plugged his obd scanner in and got the error codes: p1688 and p0341. I've spent the entire morning messing with it. Its important to know that I had done a 17% pulley reduction and a K&N Cold air intake before the accident and everything ran fine. The first thing I checked was the Bypass valve and it seemed good. I don't exactly know the best way to check it however it had decent pressure when manually pushing the actuator and opened and closed based on the throttle when out of gear. I also zipp tied it at one point as well(something I read online) and there was no regain of power. I am aware that its possible the crank pulley is out of whack as I've seen lots of stuff with p1688 having to do with that and then with the addition of the p0341 which is a crank position reading thats kinda goofy that is what I am fearing. So I didn't know if there is a way to check the crank pulley without straight up replacing it? Im on a very tight budget so I need to be sure of whats wrong before purchasing any new parts. Or if there were any other possibilities as to the cause? If I keep the car in neutral and give it a good rev it will either go into limp mode again or sometimes it doesn't go into limp mode but as it reaches low rpms again it is very out of sink and shaky. We thought it was also possible that the injectors were a bit clogged maybe it was running lean after having sat for a few days however I put some injector cleaner in with a full tank of gas and there is no difference. It is currently drivable but it needs to accelerate really slow or else it will go limp and I have to restart. The engine also vibrates a lot because after the accident a small black piece of plastic ended up inside the pulley tensioner spring and it bounces a lot however I didn't think that would cause limpness. I also went ahead and reset the eco which didn't help either. Sorry for the rather out of order post but just hoping someone could help?