Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

windows don't go down

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 07:43 PM
philwarner
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
windows don't go down

Took my 2004 Cooper S JCW to a British car show yesterday and discovered when I got there that the windows will not go down anymore; I can hear a double click from each door when the corresponding toggle switch is held down and a slower double click when the switches are held up, but no glass movement and no dip when the door handle is compressed. I searched the archives and tried holding the switches down and banging on the door panels above the speaker on each side, but no change.

I tried this procedure from a referenced thread on Mini2
"With the car in aux or on -- sit in the passenger seat with the door open.
Press and hold the window switch up
Immediately, while holding the window up toggle -- with your fist -- punch / hit three inches above the large speaker -- three times. <bang bang bang>. Don't be easy on your MINI.
Let go of the toggle switch.
Press and hold the toggle switch up for 5 seconds.
Lower the window completely.
With the door still open Raise the window completely. The window should have now "re-indexed" itself.
In case the indexing didn't work -- it would be wise for you to lower the window just slightly before closing the door.
Close the window.
Yes -- this worked on my MINI."

I tried that and I banged pretty darn hard, but still no glass movement and no dip. I don't know when the windows stopped working as yesterday was the first time in a month or several that I tried them, and I hadn't noticed when they stopped dipping. The battery has not been disconnected since they last were used.

I assumed if I heard the clicking in the door that the fuses are OK and fuses 1 and 19 in the kick panel fuse box do check OK. The "convenience mode" of the key fob opens the sun roof but not either window.

Any more suggestions on what to try?

Old 06-11-2018, 02:01 PM
thevastdifference
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like the regulators might need replacing. Motor could be dead. If you do buy a regulator, don't buy a cheap one. Try for OEM. I bought some cheap kit off Amazon and it stopped working after a month.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:19 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Car have a sunroof?