Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Bad Control Arm Bushings??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 10:05 PM
mdurando
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bad Control Arm Bushings??

Had alignment done at dealer after switching out the tie rods. They told me my control arm bushings on both sides were completely shot and needed replacement. They quoted me about 800 and said they would throw in another alignment for free after replacing the bushings. (Do you even need to adjust the alignment after replacing control arm bushings??) I declined.

I jacked up the car at home and inspected the bushings. I honestly don't know how they are supposed to look, but the rubber looks ok to me. You can even see the "Mini" insignia still present on the rubber. These are pics from the front and back of the driver bushing. Am I missing something? Do these bushings look shot?

Old 05-31-2018, 10:16 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
Your dealer had a good thought.
Best to heed his comments.
Price wise, you may try shopping around, but I wouldn't put an expensive set of tires on it right now..!

Mike

Old 05-31-2018, 10:29 PM
mdurando
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by OCR
Your dealer had a good thought.
Best to heed his comments.
Price wise, you may try shopping around, but I wouldn't put an expensive set of tires on it right now..!

Mike
Thanks for the reply. What's wrong with them?

Here's a pic of the new OEM Mini bushings. They don't look that different to me, but again, I don't know how it is supposed to look on the car.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:00 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,378 Posts
If you look closely at the bushings, you can see that they are not centered in the housing like the new ones are. Rubber does get “tired” as it ages, and can no longer perform its duties of keeping the control arm located in the right spot.

I don’t think I would pay $800 for replacing them, but it does look like your car would benefit from replacement. Take some time at home, get more familiar with your car, and change them out yourself. Get some poly replacement, too.

Originally Posted by mdurando

Old 06-01-2018, 03:14 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Best way to tell is to look at the odometer.
If it says more than 40K, they're probably shot.
Actually, I usually kick the front of the tire and see how much it moves
back and forth (should be minimal, there are some videos that demonstrate
this if you search), or try to rock the tire/wheel fore and aft while feeling
the play at the back rod of the control arm where it comes out of the bushing.
Can also jack it up and use a pry bar to see how much it moves around.
Never ever replace with OEM bushings unless you want to do it again in
another few years.
The Powerflex control arm bushings last virtually forever and locate the wheel better,
and do not cause a noticeable increase in NVH (noise/vibration/harshness)
compared to stock.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:59 AM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Agree with everything Cristo said above. At this point, if you own a gen 1 car and they are the original bushings, it is a very high probability that they are shot. As he said, kick each tire from the front edge.....if the wheel “wobbles” or moves any amount, the bushings are toast.....as demonstrated here....

I’ve replaced bushings with power flex on two different cars now using two different methods....first car I pulled the control arms, cut the bushings out, and pressed the new in myself. On my current car, I dropped the subframe and installed pre-pressed bushings in new brackets. The job is doable but kinda sucks no matter which way you do it......unless you just love to wrench, pay someone to do the work. $800 sounds a bit steep.....shop around. An independent shop would probably be more in the neighborhood of $500 (not sure if they would charge for alignment on top of that). If you enjoy working on your own cars, do them yourself for around $100 total.....not necessarily difficult, just a bit time consuming with a bit of prying involved.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (02-20-2019)
Old 06-01-2018, 06:51 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
My stealer wanted to charge me $1100 to replace the bushings, so I did it myself. I would recommend that when you change them, replace them with POLY bushings and also change the inner ball joints.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:59 AM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
It may look centered but the inner rubber diaphragm can deteriorate completely. Here was mine - looked fine and centered until I jacked it up and flexed the arm. Yikes.

Absolutely agree, do poly replacements and ball joints if you can while you're down there.

scott13 (07-13-2022)
Old 06-01-2018, 04:33 PM
mdurando
2nd Gear
Thanks for the replies. What's the verdict on an alignment post bushing replacement?

Old 06-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
How many miles on the car and what year? Gen1s are all pushing at least 10 years and in that time rubber does deteriorate. At 50,000 miles the struts are toast and the bushings are right there with them.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:43 PM
mdurando
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by HaltCatchFire
It may look centered but the inner rubber diaphragm can deteriorate completely. Here was mine - looked fine and centered until I jacked it up and flexed the arm. Yikes.

Absolutely agree, do poly replacements and ball joints if you can while you're down there.

thanks for the reply and gif. Was that filmed with the control arm separated from the inner and outer ball joints?

Last edited by mdurando; 06-01-2018 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-01-2018, 09:58 PM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by mdurando
thanks for the reply and gif. Was that filmed with the control arm separated from the inner and outer ball joints?
Nope, that was fully assembled on jack stands. I'm sitting under the car just shaking the wheel back and forth. The rubber connecting the inner/outer races of the bushing were complete mush.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:23 AM
jasonp
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
the best fix for the bushing are power flex bushingshttps://www.waymotorworks.com/powerflex-front-control-arm-polyurethane-bushing-kit.html
you might try and find a good specialty shop.
or if you feel up to it mod mini has a video on how to do it
​​​​​​

ECSTuning (02-20-2019)
Old 06-03-2018, 11:03 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Yes with the rubber not centered they are worn out. Pretty much any MINI with 40k+ miles and stock bushings is worn out. the videos shows the bushings move or kicking the tires are good ways to show them worn out.
But when you do replace make sure you do replace them with the powerflex bushings as they will never wear out again. Plus will feel like the car is brand new.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...shing-kit.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-16-2019, 07:31 PM
Tyintegra
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this a semi old thread, but just have a quick question. Is it possible to just buy a full new control arm with new bushings already pressed in? This was an option on other cars I’ve owned and seems to be a much easier solution.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:08 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
No.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:24 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
You can get the bushings preinstalled in their housings, but the control arms are separate.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:37 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyintegra
I know this a semi old thread, but just have a quick question. Is it possible to just buy a full new control arm with new bushings already pressed in? This was an option on other cars I’ve owned and seems to be a much easier solution.
We offer the Powerflex in New brackets already pressed so you can just install and go
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...ckets-new.html

We also offer a core service that we press new powerflex bushings into used brackets ship them to you and let you send your used brackets back for core return.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...shing-kit.html

We do sell the stock bushings in brackets, but they cost more and won't last so we never recommend them. The powerflex never wear out again.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more