Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Mechanical issues with the Cooper and Cooper S.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 02:39 PM
Deb-I
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>That's what you have warranty for. The dealer doesn't "owe" you anything other than good service. :evil:
BULL. The dealer DOES owe you. They are an extension of what they are selling. If an auto is so bad that you are trying to file for the lemon law they are the first step you would take as to what your recourse is gonna be. If they will not work with you on a car that is doomed you have to go to great lengths beyond them to not have to go broke on a bad vehicle. And trust me, from experience it is a long & tedious journey. It's sick what they get away with. Not to mention the manufacturer.
I've had no problems with this car, but have had major problems with another make/model that resulted in the Lemon Law. Wouldn't have had to go through that (& WIN IT) I might add had the dealer tried to work things out themselves. Have some compassion on people having problems with their BRAND SPANKING NEW CARS................. :cry :???:

Old 08-17-2002, 03:11 PM
indi_blue_white_top
Neutral
i've got almost 1500 miles on my mini thanks to pickingit up in miami and driving back to new orleans and have loved every mile. recently it's been very hot out and every time the engine comes back down towards 1000RPM it sputters like it's going to die. i mean everytime. the car shakes like my companies 30 year old mack truck and for what it's worth : i think the dealership may not legally OWE anything for recalls etc., but if they have 1/2 a brain they'd know unless we stay happy we never come back and at the least admitting they've seriously inconvenienced us and their sorry would be a start

Old 08-17-2002, 05:05 PM
wessieball
2nd Gear
a

Last edited by wessieball; 05-17-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:24 AM
JohnW
4th Gear
They're supposed to have a software fix in September for the "engine sputtering/ almost stalling on deceleration" problem.. that's what my dealership keeps telling me. The problem is most noticeable when running the A/C at full blast on hot days...

Old 08-22-2002, 06:12 AM
Eggsav
1st Gear
Hi all,
I am at 1552 miles on my little Mini. Last week, when my wife drove the car to work she could not get it to start. I went to the rescue and found the dash without power, but the windows, door locks, and keyless entry worked. The radio went dead, and so did all of the lights in the speedo, the clock, the tach. Electronically inclined as I am, I looked under the bonnet at the fuse panel. Upon pushing on the panel, I noticed the main cable connecting the battery to it was loose ! A couple of sparks flew, then I looked inside the car and everything worked again . We drove the car back to my shop where I disconnected the battery, removed the bolt in the back of the fuse panel (which is located to the right side of the battery) and inspected it. From the factory, it had been cross threaded and was not seated properly. I reinstalled the bolt properly and motored on! I have had such bad luck with our local service department, that if I can fix it, I will! Any maintenance will take me on a 115 mile drive to the next closest service center.

Old 08-26-2002, 01:48 PM
binx
2nd Gear
First let me say I've got 6500 miles on the car and love my Cooper. I am willing to put up with the minor problem here and there. I've had the car since the beginning of April and have pretty much had problems that have been mentioned here: cracked windshield, linkage cable replacement, no rattling and no seat latch problem. What I have now however is a bit worrisome.

The other day I hopped in the car to go to work and was unable to get it in reverse to get out of the driveway. Before having it towed to the dealership I called and asked the service manager if there was anything I could try. He suggested I try synching up the gears by getting it going in first. Not only did this not work but driving it around the block it seamed that all the gears were in the wrong places. In "first" I couldn't go forward without getting the rev count up to 3500, shifting into "second" was like accidentally downshifting into the wrong gear and almost redlined the tach.

The MINI is on a flatbed heading toward the dealer so I suppose I'll know soon enough what the problem is. Still I was wondering if these symptoms meant anything to anyone out there.

Thanks.

Old 08-28-2002, 05:54 AM
momini
2nd Gear
I have about 3500 miles on my MCS and for the most part they have been trouble-free.
I do have one question about a knocking or clacking sound that I guess is coming from the transmission/clutch. The noise sounds like valve tapping but a little deeper and goes away when the clutch is engaged. Anyone else hear this?

Old 09-01-2002, 07:52 PM
ubuyifly
1st Gear
Need help with DSC ABS and Flat tire monitor. 200 miles on my Bulldog and at 100 went for the window, hit the DSC instead, this after adjusting tire pressure down from 51 to 38. tried to initialize per the book to no avail.

Old 09-03-2002, 11:46 AM
Nobull60
6th Gear
Read the owners manual under BOOT/TRunk...It explains the whole proceedure

Old 09-04-2002, 10:44 AM
frails
1st Gear
There seem to be a couple of common threads through this discussion.

1. MINI service people don't se3em to know as much about the cars as they should.
2. Overall level of customer service is low, (BMW arrogance).

Like one of the previous posters, my dealer is two hours away and not terribly competent. I will fix whatever is wrong if I can. I am concerned about MINI's future if my perceptions above are true. Once MINI gets past the MINI fanatics and into the general consumer group, they will find a lower tolerance for poor service and ignorance.

Many of us put up with this because we are totally in love with our cars.

Old 09-09-2002, 06:08 PM
SalMS
1st Gear
My MCS (500 mi) has twice erroneously given simultaneous DSC and run-flat warnings. Both times turned self off after shutting down engine. I wonder if I'll pay serious attention when it stops crying wolf?

Tiny boot headaches here and there, but otherwise, I'm sincerly impressed and in love with this car.

(Red w/white S, Lux package and DSC.)

Old 09-10-2002, 07:32 PM
Minitech1
Neutral
What's I've had that problem with a couple of mini I've work on. What happen is
very simple the dsc and tire warning both work off the same system. Which is
the dsc control unit, When you hit a serve bump it throws is off, it losses the
wheel speed. You should worry about it. If it turn off after you cyle the key. You should be fine.

Old 09-15-2002, 05:33 AM
SalMS
1st Gear
Less than twelve hours after that post, my Mini died.

I was travelling at 55 MPH when I had a complete loss of power.Had to push the car off the highway, into the local gas station. Luckily, it was 6:15 in the morning.

MINI roadside assistance screwed it up royally, and the local AAA contractor refused to tow a car he hadn't done before. After 4 calls to MINI, a non-AAA contractor brought the car to BMW of Westchester. It took 4 hours!

Now I have no complaints about what happened after I got there, I was treated very well, given a rental car, and was out the door the next day. The fuel pump disconected inside of the fuel tank. A minor, but very irritating QC problem. But they really need to reevaluate their roadside assistance.

Old 09-15-2002, 06:55 AM
nashrunner
1st Gear
Just bought my mini s Thursday used from a local owner. 739 miles. He warned me of the cold start problem. I definetely have it. Have to crank 3-4 times to get car started after it has been sitting for any length of time.

Old 09-19-2002, 02:55 AM
GilasMini
Neutral
Had the same stall problem ...once...during the 5th day we owned our MINI. Basically, on very hot day (90 degrees+), coming to a stop sign, taking the car out of gear, when the car starts to come down to idle, the revs dropped quickly, tried to recover and stalled. This hasn't happened again since, even during hot days. I called the dealer (Lauderdale MINI) and they informed me that this can be common during break-in (which we still are), and that it shouldn't continue to happen. However, they assured us that if it did happen more frequently (even during break-in), the software fix is available and will cure this problem.

Other than that, we've absolutely no problems thusfar and have thoroughly enjoyed all of the head turning on South Beach that our awesome White (Roof), Black (Body), White (Mirrors and Wheels) MINI has gotten. It really is a blast watching people's reactions as you scoot down the street.

Old 09-19-2002, 08:31 AM
C4
Banned
Hi GilasMini:

Is your Cooper a 5-speed or CVT? What's the build date?

We also just got our CVT Pepper White/Black Roof Cooper (August 2002 Build date) from Lauderdale MINI (9/7/02) and we haven't had a single problem yet with almost 400 miles on the clock. We have been driving the car in this very hot and humid S.Fla weather with the A/C on and have experienced no engine idle issues. As a matter of fact, last sunday I went to the Lauderdale MINI Meet and the car worked flawlessly during that very hot day.

I sincerely hope your stalling incident does not happen again and if it does, the dealer can promptly solve it to your satisfaction.

Old 09-19-2002, 09:33 AM
JohnW
4th Gear
Actually, the dealer can't "promptly" solve it.

I am still waiting on the software fix that MINI has promised is forthcoming. My dealer keeps saying it will be available soon.

I have this same problem, as do many 5-speed MC owners it seems... Like GilasMini said: On really hot days, when I am running the AC on high and come to a stop after either just taking it out of gear and/or keeping the clutch pressed, when the revs drop down to idle, they drop a little too low sometimes, and it seems liek the car will stall (and mine has a couple of times). I am at 1700 miles now, so this is still happening post-break-in.

Old 09-20-2002, 02:49 AM
BigM
1st Gear
The only problem I have had is the loose seal at the top of the windshield. It happened about ten minutes after I left the dealer showroom. I was cruising about 70mph when it poped up in the middle about a foot. I pulled over and pushed it back into place working it firmly into place from one side to the other. So far no more problems after putting another 300 miles reaching speed over 75 mph. So far no more problems so I believe it was just a prep problem. At least I hope so.

Old 09-30-2002, 08:05 AM
C4
Banned
Question:

Do August 2002 builds, already have the "Cold Start" software update already applied from factory, or these cars still nedd to be booked for a service dealer appointment to get this done?

We haven't had any Cold Start issues, but are wondering if this is something that still needs to be done, just to be on the safe side. Our CVT MINI Cooper was born 8/7/2002.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Old 09-30-2002, 08:05 AM
C4
Banned
Question:

Do August 2002 builds, already have the "Cold Start" software update already applied from factory, or these cars still need to be booked for a service dealer appointment to get this done?

We haven't had any Cold Start issues, but are wondering if this is something that still needs to be done, just to be on the safe side. Our CVT MINI Cooper was born 8/7/2002.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Old 09-30-2002, 09:14 PM
rpomeroy
Neutral
Love my MC--had it since July with little trouble. This weekend the engine overheated without warning (that I saw anyway), and I found it had no coolant in the transparent coolant reservoir. Got some coolant from Mini dealer then drove it to them, but no leak can now be found--any ideas? what is going on here?

Old 09-30-2002, 09:17 PM
2minis
6th Gear
I had a Cooper and went through the tranny problem. My Cooper S seems to have a problem with posted speed limits

Old 10-02-2002, 03:56 PM
Thumper460
4th Gear
2minis... whats up with Fl?? My Mini has a problem with the posted speed!! We dont need No stinking Posted speed!! The Cops like my Mini... Well that is another story!! Any how.. in First gear it is a slug!! sometimes I need to rev to 2500 to 3K to get moving.. after that it flys!! But...WTF.. I can really geted pissed on the "Dog outa the hole" syndrome!! Is there a fix?? Is there something I can do?? She (the Mini) feels embarassed when it happens !! HELP!!

In Jax and meeting all the FHP... one at a time!! LOL

Just me..................

Thumper :smile:

Old 10-02-2002, 05:35 PM
bamboo187
Neutral
>>Got my passenger seat back stuck in upright position, any solution?!
>>Thanks :evil: :evil:

pull it back from the headrest. should solve it...mine has same problem too..driver and passenger.

just brought mine to the dealer, 4 problems

1. Coolant resevoir leaks coolant.(actually it's cracked at the seam).
2. Back of driver side seat is loose and doesn't secure anymore.
3. Cold start problems
4. Rear hatch doesn't close and lock properly...indicator always on...when it's actually locked tight.
5. tire/trackion control lights on intermittantly.

here's mine...cold start is solved by reprogramming though. cars in for one week so far. parts keep coming in defective..well...actually the coolant resevoir is, brand new part and dealer says it's defective.....

Old 10-03-2002, 07:22 AM
Eggsav
1st Gear
>>Hi GilasMini:
>>
>>Is your Cooper a 5-speed or CVT? What's the build date?
>>
>>We also just got our CVT Pepper White/Black Roof Cooper (August 2002 Build date) from Lauderdale MINI (9/7/02) and we haven't had a single problem yet with almost 400 miles on the clock. We have been driving the car in this very hot and humid S.Fla weather with the A/C on and have experienced no engine idle issues. As a matter of fact, last sunday I went to the Lauderdale MINI Meet and the car worked flawlessly during that very hot day.
>>
>>I sincerely hope your stalling incident does not happen again and if it does, the dealer can promptly solve it to your satisfaction.

My Mini (04/02) build just turned 3000 miles, and I have had this cold start problem a few times. I will ask the dealer about it when we get our first scheduled service. Black Cooper w/ Black roof and mirrors, CVT, Chrome, Roof Racks....

Quick Reply: Mechanical issues with the Cooper and Cooper S.