Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Mechanical issues with the Cooper and Cooper S.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 10:59 AM
JohnW
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My service person confirmed that she had heard the following software fixes are on the "31" (or is it 3.1 ?) CD of fixes...

- "sluggish engine response in 1st gear"
- "cold start problem"
- "engine stumbling/stalling in hot weather when coming to a stop/at idle RPMs"

:smile: :smile: :smile:

They still have not received this CD at my dealer's Service dept. Soon, I hope!!! I think DaveinDenver said they have this fix CD at his dealer now.

Old 10-04-2002, 05:56 PM
dmocha
1st Gear
>>I wanted to let people know about something strange I discovered last night and how I came to "fix" it. I had never used the remote key to pop the boot (trunk) before, so I wanted to see if it worked. The manual says hold down the unlock button for five seconds and it will pop open just a bit. I held it down for longer than that until I heard 2 clicks and released the button. I think it would have kept clicking if I didn't release the button. Anyway, when I went to close the boot it wouldn't! The door would go down but it would not latch at all and just popped back up. This scared me because I figured I broke it and would have to take it back to the dealer to be fixed. Then I remembered the double click I heard. So with the boot open I held down the unlock key button down again until it clicked once and quickly released it. THEN I was able to close the boot. I don't know if this happens to all MINIs or just mine, but I will never try to open the boot by remote again- too much hassle!

Old 10-05-2002, 05:50 AM
JohnW
4th Gear

If you don't want to worry about the key-remote "third click" boot latch problem...

I highly recommend getting your Service dept to program the option to use the third press of the key remote button to open the windows & sun-roof. I had this done and it's great!

Old 10-09-2002, 09:37 AM
KAISER
Neutral
>>My service person confirmed that she had heard the following software fixes are on the "31" (or is it 3.1 ?) CD of fixes...
>>
>> - "sluggish engine response in 1st gear"
>> - "cold start problem"
>> - "engine stumbling/stalling in hot weather when coming to a stop/at idle RPMs"

It sounds like some people are finally getting the new performance software fix.

Has anyone seen the problems listed above go away after installing the "CD 31" upgrade?

I would be interested to find out if the upgrade actually works.

Old 10-11-2002, 07:16 AM
allynga
Neutral
I had a similar problem. However, I had it towed in to the MINI dealer. It was my first day of ownership. It was the auxillary fan. I would strongly recommend you have it looked at. The auxillary fan is used to cool the engine while idling, at a stop. The coolant in my overflow bottle was gone. I added more just to get home, after discussing this with the MINI tech. Have it looked at immediately!

Old 10-13-2002, 03:55 PM
Rockpile6
Neutral
Take it to the closest dealer. There is a computer download to fix the problem that takes about 20 minutes to do. Took my S in last week after getting tired of 2 or 3 cranks to get started every morning. Runs great now! :smile:

Old 10-18-2002, 01:44 PM
andrew
3rd Gear
>>>>Had this "flashing battery light" problem last week, when it was really hot here in Ohio. MINI has less than 300 miles on it. Thought I wasn't driving it enough. This week, cooler weather. No flashing light. Been over a week. Maybe just a glitch? In less automated cars this sometimes occurs if battery goes down a bit, and once one drives some, the light goes off. Was going to ask dealer about it, but now it has stopped. Any advice will be appreciated. :smile:
>>
>>I had this battery light problem too, and it also went away. The battery light would flicker on and off when first starting the car and it would idle roughly. This seems to have healed itself. I also have LoJack and thought maybe it's drain on the battery could be involved.
>>
>>Another problem that seems to have healed itself for now is that when I have the A/C on high and come to a stop in idle (especially in bumper to bumper traffic) my Cooper has stalled out a couple times, and it seems to nearly stall when coming down to idle often in this scenario. This only happened when it was really hot here lately (over 100 degrees). Otherwise it is fine when the A/C is on in mild weather.

CD upgrade # 31 is neede to alleviate......

Old 10-23-2002, 07:14 PM
mini-g.
3rd Gear
Noticed today that I have two cracks in my rear window red tail-light lense. I guess they happened from closing the hatch?? You have to look hard to see them. When I slide my hand accross them I can feel them too. If they become worse, I will replace quicky, otherwise I will ask for replacement at my 10,000 mile service.
Motor On!!

Old 10-23-2002, 07:21 PM
kensmini
3rd Gear
mini-g,
I was in a rally drive with 8 other MINIs this weekend and one driver complained of this same problem. I cannot remember his name but I think his local dealer replaced this quickly. Schedule it with your CD31 upgrade.

Old 10-28-2002, 09:33 AM
Ryokosha
1st Gear
I have a 2002 MCS. I've had the following problems:

1. Hood latch cable broke.
2. Cold weather starting problem.
3. Power steering pump failed.
4. Rattles in the back.

Old 10-28-2002, 09:37 AM
2minis
6th Gear
Re. #4 there is another post about rattles in the back. Check
your thingees that lift the rear cover and make sure they are
attached to the hatch otherwise they rattle. :smile:

Old 10-31-2002, 07:36 PM
cooper55
1st Gear
I had the same thing happen to me the first time I tried. Now it is touchy feely for when to let go of the button. Have'nt had anymore probs though. Just more character? :smile: null

Old 11-06-2002, 05:08 PM
ochichernie
1st Gear
>> Noticed today that I have two cracks in my rear window red tail-light lense. I guess they happened from closing the hatch?? You have to look hard to see them. When I slide my hand accross them I can feel them too. If they become worse, I will replace quicky, otherwise I will ask for replacement at my 10,000 mile service.
>>Motor On!!
-----------------------------------
As a friend and I were standing behind my MINI, admiring it, the friend pointed out that my right taillight had condensation underneath it. I wonder if it's for the same reason.... I will have it looked at next time it's in for service.

Old 11-10-2002, 06:24 AM
MDFender
Neutral
My MCS won't scan in stations on the AM band. It works fine for FM. I took it to the dealer with a list of other problems that were fixed but this wasn't resolved. The dealer said he checked another Mini and it wouldn't scan any AM stations either and he suggested it is because it's an American spec car in Germany. My Pontiac Grand Am has an Amrican spec radio in Germany and it scans. Any ideas?

Old 11-12-2002, 03:43 PM
saucerman
1st Gear
I'd like to report on the problems with my 2002 MINI w/ Sport Package -

1. Uh, there just aren't any problems. I hate to brag, but I've had the car 6-1/2 months and 7500 miles - nothing - nada, zip. Nothing's leaking, not sluggish, no cracks, radio works fine, goes like a bat our of hell (well, a normally-aspirated bat anyway) handles like a go-cart. I DID have my fuel door fall off, but it was just a loose pin, quickly fixed. Still, all the complaints here suggests that quality control is a bit uneven. My sympathies to those with issues and I hope MINI treats you well. :smile:

Old 11-13-2002, 10:35 AM
runnymilk
Neutral
I had the cold start problem myself and got the "31" program put into my MCS and it starts without a problem now in weather down to the 30-40 degree mark.

Old 11-14-2002, 05:51 PM
schumann
Neutral
I have put about 1600 miles on my Mini Cooper S. Absolute fun and satisfaction. In the past three days after driving a combination of highway and town for 10 miles, stopping and turning the ignition off I have had the fan under the bonnet kick on for 2 minutes. It is very loud and has never done this previously. The weather in upstate New York has dipped but somehow it doesn't seem logical to have never had it kick in previously to the past three days. Can someone explain this to me and if it is possibly a problem a quick response will be greatly appreciated.
schumann

Old 11-14-2002, 07:31 PM
Hibou
2nd Gear
I got my MCS 6 weeks ago with 1500 miles now, here is a list of the problems I've encountered so far:
* passenger door not the same color (Good settlement in the end)
* Heater blower was replaced, stopped working after 2 days
* Rubber seal on top of the windshield came loose after a week, it was fixed at the dealer while a new one is delivered
*Passenger heated seat does not work
* Spillage of cooling fluid ( it is getting brownish by the way, I guess there is a chemical reaction between fluid and alloys used in the system)
* Rear light on right side is not water tight
* Fuel consumption in city driving is much higher than expected, even if I do not put a smile on my face at every corner, I cannot get more than 20 mpg even with the smoothest driving manners, since I did not experience cold starting problems and my car was buit in aug 02, I suspect there were major changes in the programming, early ones to get good consumption ratings (don't you remember it took a while to get fuel consumption figures for the MCS?) and the later ones to improve performance and solve cold start problems.
* I always hear some kind of "clink" every 15 seconds or so, the noise seems coming from the transmission well like something trying to engage, not the same noise as "tik" when metal is cooling.
*The dust coming out of the brake pads is annoying
* When I move my seat, I allways hear a clinch a few minutes later like it would finally find the right place on the tracks, the alignement must be faulty somewhere:

Otherwise
+ I feel these problems may be annoying but can be addressed, not like a car with stuctural problems or poor design, it is usually easy to address a construction problem but not one related to design, my feeling is that the car is plagued with evolution casualities on it's path towards maturity.
+ A few years ago a traffic reporter in Montreal said there was a baby Austin on the side of the road needing a feeding-bottle of gas

Old 11-18-2002, 07:03 PM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
does the amount of brake dust lighten up with mileage? After dutifully cleaning THE BEAST and only a few civilized trips around town, my alloys are covered with brake dust! Is this going to let up?

Old 11-19-2002, 06:02 PM
Coopacetic
Neutral
>>Love my MC--had it since July with little trouble. This weekend the engine overheated without warning (that I saw anyway), and I found it had no coolant in the transparent coolant reservoir. Got some coolant from Mini dealer then drove it to them, but no leak can now be found--any ideas? what is going on here?
>>
>>

Two weeks ago my Mini started running its fan more than usual (when I looked, the engine temp seemed fine), and then finally overheated on my driveway one week ago. No coolant in the clear reservoir, either. The dealer (supposedly) replaced my waterpump and all seems better now. I only have 2400 miles on it...has anyone else had waterpump problems?

Old 11-19-2002, 07:05 PM
tacc_1
Neutral
>> quote:
does the amount of brake dust lighten up with mileage? After dutifully cleaning THE BEAST and only a few civilized trips around town, my alloys are covered with brake dust! Is this going to let up? :smile: A good way to keep them clean without too much work is to wipe them down every day with a window cleaning spray and paper towels. It only takes a few minutes and keeps them looking great.

Tom

Old 11-20-2002, 06:45 AM
Daron
2nd Gear
For excessive brake dust, give the wheels a good coat of wax. Sometimes that helps prevent the dust from sticking and extends the time between needed washings.

Old 11-21-2002, 03:04 PM
dwathen
1st Gear
My Nav system has a problem. On mornings when the car is below about 35 degrees, the nav system does not initiate. The screen turns on (glows slightly), but the mini symbol or the warning never comes up. I will have the dealer look at it when I take it in for service. Anyone else had this problem?

Old 11-21-2002, 03:57 PM
goul
1st Gear
Hi All.

Minor issues with my MCD

1. Rattling noise from the rear.
2. Cig lighter in back hatch is loose.
3. Surface rust build up where compliance plate is.

Nothing too major........still love the car ......

:smile:

Old 11-21-2002, 03:58 PM
goul
1st Gear
Sorry i meant MCS

Quick Reply: Mechanical issues with the Cooper and Cooper S.