Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Questions on new 04 JCW

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 10:17 AM
philwarner
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Questions on new 04 JCW

Newbie with a new-to-me 2004 JCW hatch in Liquid Yellow over black.
Been replacing lamps, checking fluids, General cleanup, and learning about my new toy.

The PO did the following in the last 1-1/2 to 2 years:
New Clutch, Pressure Plate and Flywheel, New Struts, springs, shocks and ball joints, New Radiator Support
All new engine gaskets, New Battery, New belts and hoses, New Belt Tensioner, New plugs and wires
New Supercharger and Water Pump, New Motor Mounts, New Starter, New front axles, New Windshield
New Clutch slave cylinder, New Hood Struts, New Brake Calipers, Alta 17% Undersized Supercharger Pulley,
Alta 2% Oversized Crank Pulley, Alta Intercooler gaskets, M7 Speed Cold Air Intake, Adjustable Short Shifter,
Konig Wheels, Under hood Eyeballs

Q Does Liquid Yellow have clear coat over the yellow?
Q Clutch engages just off the floor; Bleed or is there another adjustment?
Q 215 45 R17 tires had low 20s PSI; should be 35 PSI?
Q Shift **** rotates: Would Locktite 242 blue be OK to try to keep it from turning? (Don't want to glue it permanently)
Q Passenger door handle "trigger" sticks in compressed position. I see in parts photos it has a cable. Can cable be lubed?

Attached Thumbnails Questions on new 04 JCW-100_6469.jpg   Questions on new 04 JCW-100_6468.jpg  
Old 01-09-2018, 11:25 AM
mgwatson
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here ya go!
Originally Posted by philwarner
Q Does Liquid Yellow have clear coat over the yellow? Yes.
Q Clutch engages just off the floor; Bleed or is there another adjustment? Sounds like a bleed would be a good first step. The stock slave cylinder can be very finicky during the install of a new clutch.
Q 215 45 R17 tires had low 20s PSI; should be 35 PSI? Pump up to the spec on the side of the tire itself. Each tire is different. 32-35 would be a good starting point though.
Q Shift **** rotates: Would Locktite 242 blue be OK to try to keep it from turning? (Don't want to glue it permanently). Probably not pressed onto the shift lever far enough. If you're having a hard time pressing it on, try and pull the boot down a bit to give the **** more room to go down.
Q Passenger door handle "trigger" sticks in compressed position. I see in parts photos it has a cable. Can cable be lubed? Not sure here, but lube would be a good start. Might also be a bad mechanical connection onto the handle itself.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:48 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by philwarner
Q: 215 45 R17 tires had low 20s PSI; should be 35 PSI?
Originally Posted by mgwatson
Pump up to the spec on the side of the tire itself.
Each tire is different. 32-35 would be a good starting point though.
That bit of info is incorrect...

Definitely DO NOT inflate your tires to the spec displayed on the side of the tire.

The spec on the side represents the maximum pressure the tire can take before blowing up.
My tires are labeled "Maximum pressure 51 psi" on the side, but that's NOT the pressure they should be operated at.

33 psi front and rear is the pressure I recommend you inflate your tires.
As well as in the owner's manual, the sticker on your driver's door jamb goes into recommended tire pressures.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:17 PM
mgwatson
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
That bit of info is incorrect...

Definitely DO NOT inflate your tires to the spec displayed on the side of the tire.

The spec on the side represents the maximum pressure the tire can take before blowing up.
My tires are labeled "Maximum pressure 51 psi" on the side, but that's NOT the pressure they should be operated at.

As well as in the owner's manual, the sticker on your driver's door jamb goes into recommended tire pressures.
I believe my tires have a "recommended inflation" listed on them, but if not, my original guideline of 32-35psi still stands. Definitely do not want to pump to maximum rated psi.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:33 AM
philwarner
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Here ya go!
Originally Posted by philwarner Q Does Liquid Yellow have clear coat over the yellow? Yes.
Q Clutch engages just off the floor; Bleed or is there another adjustment? Sounds like a bleed would be a good first step. The stock slave cylinder can be very finicky during the install of a new clutch.
Q 215 45 R17 tires had low 20s PSI; should be 35 PSI? Pump up to the spec on the side of the tire itself. Each tire is different. 32-35 would be a good starting point though.
Q Shift **** rotates: Would Locktite 242 blue be OK to try to keep it from turning? (Don't want to glue it permanently). Probably not pressed onto the shift lever far enough. If you're having a hard time pressing it on, try and pull the boot down a bit to give the **** more room to go down.
Q Passenger door handle "trigger" sticks in compressed position. I see in parts photos it has a cable. Can cable be lubed? Not sure here, but lube would be a good start. Might also be a bad mechanical connection onto the handle itself.
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
I believe my tires have a "recommended inflation" listed on them, but if not, my original guideline of 32-35psi still stands. Definitely do not want to pump to maximum rated psi.
Thanks for the replies. guys,

My door tag says 35 PSI front and rear; the PO said he usually did 36 and the low pressure was just due to temp changes. I think 33 PSI would be a good compromise between function and comfort.

I'll try pushing the shift **** down farther; the boot does not appear to be in the way. The PO installed an "adjustable short shifter" but I don't know if that means a different shift lever or something in the cables. He did say he had it in the shortest position but it was harder to shift so he adjusted it to medium. Anyone know how that works?

He also said he had a hard time getting the new slave cylinder bled and thought it might be improved if bled again but suggested having a dealer do it. Looks like unbolting, compressing the piston, and pressure bleeding while tapping on the cylinder is recommended. I may try that when the weather is warmer.

The passenger door handle trigger still sticks even after much lube spraying on it and the latch mechanism, but squeezing the forward end a few times eventually brings it back out. Maybe warmer weather will help.

One new question: the front lghter socket has no power but the rear one does; are they on separate fuses? If not is there a good tutorial on removing the center console to get at it?

Thanks again for the info. This little car is definitely a blast to drive, and at 30+ MPG I find I am looking for excuses to take it out.

Update: I pulled the shift **** off and discovered the shift lever has a slot in the top and the **** has a blade or pin in the bottom of its hole to engage the slot in the lever. there is a black plastic sleeve that threads onto the lever shaft with a ridge at the bottom that the **** snaps on to. I discovered that the blade or pin in the bottom of the ****’s hole does engage the slot in the lever but turns inside the **** allowing the **** to turn on the shaft. I mixed some JB Weld plastic bonder and daubed it on the ends of the blade or pin in the bottom of the **** hole. I had smeared Vaseline on the shift lever so the plastic bonder would not stick to it, but decided to let the plastic bonder cure in the **** before I put it back on the lever shaft. Time will tell if it will hold, but at least it won't be glued on.

EDIT: The shift **** pin is holding so far in 300 + miles of driving; weather has been too nasty for a high mile test, but so far so good.

Attached Thumbnails Questions on new 04 JCW-100_6483.jpg   Questions on new 04 JCW-100_6490.jpg  

Last edited by philwarner; 02-28-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:15 AM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
temp change wont account for the pressure being that low. Keep an eye on that.