Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Terrified: AAA Car Care Plus says I need an Engine Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 01:29 PM
jcwian
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Terrified: AAA Car Care Plus says I need an Engine Replacement?

Hi All,

I was hoping someone here could shed some expert opinion on this.

I have a Mini John Cooper Works 2011. I had not used it for a while (few months) due to various reasons. However, when I wanted to use my car the battery was completely dead. (The key fob did not light up the dash).

I called AAA roadside assistance. They sent a towing company to jump my Battery. The tow company jumped it and started my car (It sounded like it was cranking and trying to start up, but could't and suddenly the noise changed). Since it didn't work they double jumped it and this time the same noise appeared but without the cranking sound. I asked AAA to tow it to AAA Car care plus near my home.

This morning AAA diagnosed it and said the oil had dried up and the engine basically got completely damaged because we tried to start the car with no oil in it. They are saying they need to install a new engine and it is going to cost $15000 to do this)

First I was clueless that this was even a possibility (I thought it would be more gradual than this if it was a engine oil problem). Secondly, I wish AAA or the tow company told me earlier that this was a possibility before I let them jump my car.

If there are any experts out here I would like to know if it would make sense to take a second opinion from a mini dealership. Also, can I do something about AAA not warning me before they jumped my car. I did tell them I hadn't used the car in a while. I know I am at fault partially for being ignorant, but I kind of assumed AAA folks knew what they were doing.

Also if there are any experts out there can you shed some light on whether engine replacement is definitely required? Are there any cheaper options? $15000 is just not something I can afford at this point.

I apologize for the hasty post but I am still in shock from the news. Kindly let me know if anyone needs more information to help.

Thanks
Lakshmi

Old 12-29-2017, 03:42 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
It takes some time for oil to "dry up" especially when it is in an engine. What is the other sound you heard? What side of engine?

I moved you to the Gen2 Stock Problems/Issues area. You should get more feedback.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:08 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Where are you located? Someone might know of a good shop to refer you to.

AAA or other roadside assistance isn't capable usually of dealing with complex problems. If you were truly low on oil, probably because you don't check the level or have a leak.

$15000 for an engine is nuts, assuming you actually need one. I smell a rip off in the making.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:25 PM
cjv2
5th Gear
Received 287 Likes on 231 Posts
What Minnie.the.Moocher said. And I would love to know what "completely damaged" means in technospeak instead of gimmeyourmoneyspeak.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:53 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
*hadnt used the car in a while
*oil doesnt "dry up" .. its oil .. you know the black stuff made from dinosaurs.. like been around forever
*oil wouldnt be low from not driving it unless there was a sea of crude under the car..

Time to get a dealer involved and have a lawyer on standby. AAA damaged your car.. now a licensed dealer needs to inform you both what is wrong and needs replacing.

Old 12-31-2017, 04:43 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Ya, either take it to a good Mini independent or the dealer. AAA knows absolutely nothing about a Mini..

Old 12-31-2017, 04:59 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
I retired from an oil refinery. We had a V8 compressor that the case used 30w motor oil. When we shut it down to run a new compressor, it sat just over 15 years before it was to come out for another piece of equipment. The case oil was drained and it flowed like cold 30w motor oil. The case held 55 gallons and it dumped 55 gallons .. 15 years later.

Oil .. as mention does not dry up. It sits and .. can thicken a bit .. it can leak and make a mess .. it can expand some if heated ... it does not dry up. It isn't AAA mechanics doesn't know the Mini .. the people there doesn't understand much of anything ...

Old 01-01-2018, 02:20 AM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
I’m smelling ********. I mean this just sounds Predatory

As been mentioned oil will not dry up, can thicken, but this process takes lots of time.

I would take Minnie.The.Moochers advise and go to a certified German (Mini/BMW) mechanic and have them go through the car. I don’t think they know the first thing about Mini’s or Induction Engines

Old 01-01-2018, 06:52 AM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
when was the last time you checked the oil?

Old 01-02-2018, 12:03 PM
jcwian
1st Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
It takes some time for oil to "dry up" especially when it is in an engine. What is the other sound you heard? What side of engine?

I moved you to the Gen2 Stock Problems/Issues area. You should get more feedback.
Thank you.

The first time it sounded like the engine was starting all the way up.
The next time onwards, it sounded like it was starting only 25% up. That's what the difference in sound was like to me. (In amateur speak)

AAA did an engine compression test and this is what AAA had to say in their diagnosis.

"Due to compressions rising when wet, indicates worn or damaged piston rings. Recommended to replace engine and oil cooler"

Old 01-02-2018, 12:05 PM
jcwian
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Where are you located? Someone might know of a good shop to refer you to.

AAA or other roadside assistance isn't capable usually of dealing with complex problems. If you were truly low on oil, probably because you don't check the level or have a leak.

$15000 for an engine is nuts, assuming you actually need one. I smell a rip off in the making.
I live in Fremont, California. Would really appreciate any recommendations for a good mechanic. Or is a mini dealership a better bet?

Also, I have not picked up my vehicle from the AAA Car care plus center. I do not want AAA to shift liability at any point. Should I just leave it there for a while until there is a clear direction to proceed with this?

Old 01-02-2018, 12:08 PM
jcwian
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cornjuice
*hadnt used the car in a while
*oil doesnt "dry up" .. its oil .. you know the black stuff made from dinosaurs.. like been around forever
*oil wouldnt be low from not driving it unless there was a sea of crude under the car..

Time to get a dealer involved and have a lawyer on standby. AAA damaged your car.. now a licensed dealer needs to inform you both what is wrong and needs replacing.
I have not picked up my vehicle from the AAA Car care plus center. I do not want AAA to shift liability at any point if it is their mistake. I have recorded every call I have had with the towing company that jumped my battery and also with AAA facility and AAA Car care plus team.Should I just leave my car at the AAA facility there for a while until there is a clear direction to proceed with this?

What kind of attorney would I speak to?

Thanks

Old 01-02-2018, 12:11 PM
jcwian
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MannyJimenez
I’m smelling ********. I mean this just sounds Predatory

As been mentioned oil will not dry up, can thicken, but this process takes lots of time.

I would take Minnie.The.Moochers advise and go to a certified German (Mini/BMW) mechanic and have them go through the car. I don’t think they know the first thing about Mini’s or Induction Engines
Thank you. My next line of thought is to get it checked with a mini dealer.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:14 PM
jcwian
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gjxj
when was the last time you checked the oil?
I really don't remember. But, knowing me, I would have changed the oil if the "check engine" light ever lit up or anything like that.

Not sure if this answer helps.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:29 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Couple of local shops from this thread https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-bayarea.html

Can't see a lawyer doing anything unless you have a diagnosed issue that can be attributed to the failure of AAA to act responsibly with your car.

Get the car to a proper shop. I'm afraid the dealer is going to be expensive and want to replace rather than repair as needed. It is their MO.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:41 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by jcwian
I really don't remember. But, knowing me, I would have changed the oil if the "check engine" light ever lit up or anything like that.

Not sure if this answer helps.
You have an N14 motor. You should be checking the oil at least once a week. They are known for oil consumption. If you get a CEL brought on by low oil level it's probably already too late.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:44 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
The dealer is far worst than AAA. I dont see a case here since you probably failed to mention to them the car was sitting this long. I guess it is time to roll up your sleeves and start some basic diagnosis. This forum is rich with info and knowledgeable people. Take your car back and lets start fixing it

Old 01-03-2018, 11:25 AM
jcwian
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
The dealer is far worst than AAA. I dont see a case here since you probably failed to mention to them the car was sitting this long. I guess it is time to roll up your sleeves and start some basic diagnosis. This forum is rich with info and knowledgeable people. Take your car back and lets start fixing it
But I did mention to those guys that it's been sitting in the garage for a few months. (Of course I don't have a written record of that). Anyhow, I plan on taking it to a mechanic to get a second opinion.

Thanks

Old 01-03-2018, 11:32 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
before you take it anywhere, remove the valve cover and see what is going on. they said that you have compression, the question is now, do you have spark and fuel?

again, you dont have to be a master mechanic, just a basic tool box for now will suffice.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:32 AM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by jcwian
But I did mention to those guys that it's been sitting in the garage for a few months. (Of course I don't have a written record of that). Anyhow, I plan on taking it to a mechanic to get a second opinion.

Thanks
Make sure the mechanic is a Mini certified technician, or at the very least is VERY familiar with Mini Coopers. One size fits all mechanic is not a good idea on these strange little cars. Although I do use the same mechanic that works on my Vette for oil changes, after I printed out the instructions for him.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:33 PM
jcwian
1st Gear
Thank you all for the comments and response.

I took my car to "Mini Werks" in San Carlos. Andy (The guy that runs the place) was confident from our original conversations over the phone that this was not a problem at all. He just called and said the car is fixed. All it needed was a little cleaning up, some oil change and new batteries. The car is running like new. I have heard people say he is honest, courteous and knowledgable. But, I am seeing it for real. (Thanks Andy)

Thank you all again for your support. I couldn't have swallowed the $15K shock without you all here.

Thanks

Old 01-04-2018, 04:56 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Glad to hear that. How about some pictures???????

Old 01-04-2018, 05:28 PM
vetsvette
We need pictures. And you need to cancel your AAA membership.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:31 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Glad it worked out!

Would have been interesting to know somehow if they really would have done you for $15K. I've come across a few shops who would have done that to me if I wasn't knowledgeable and cheap on occasions.

What was the actual shop name of the AAA place that wanted $15K?

Old 01-04-2018, 05:51 PM
jcwian
1st Gear
I think AAA was ready to take my money and start working on it. What pissed me off even more was the the tone of the AAA front desk guy and the lecture he gave me on how "engine rebuilding is a lost art".

It was AAA Car Care Plus on Brokaw Road in San Jose.(AAA San Jose Brokaw Commons).

Again, I can't thank you all enough for the information and support you guys provided.

I will post some pictures after I pick up my car from the mechanic.

Quick Reply: Terrified: AAA Car Care Plus says I need an Engine Replacement?