Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

PS Nightmare - Advice Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 07:31 AM
chicohuahua
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PS Nightmare - Advice Needed?

I have a 2002 R53 with 150K miles.

Power steering failed, so after calling my local Mini dealership, the power steering pump was covered under the recall.

I got a call last week saying that they needed to replace the feed/return hoses due to a leak. They STRONGLY suggested that these be replaced. $500.

I get a call today, now saying that the high pressure line is FUBAR and NEEDS to be replaced. $750.

$1250!? WTF. Is this total scam? Is the dealership just trying to recoup on what they lost from doing the recall work? And if the work really is necessary, are the labor charges really that much since all of the stuff is disassembled anyway?

Old 11-27-2017, 07:38 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Moving you to the Stock Problems/Issues area. I had quotes of around $1,000 to replace the hoses. The major leaker is the large hose coming out of the reservoir. I replaced both hoses at the reservoir. I think all three hoses can be purchased for around $300. The main hose is the most expensive and also the biggest pain to get off.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:40 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
And I did the work myself. Where you located? Have you checked with a local MINI club on independent shops?

Old 11-27-2017, 07:51 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Take it somewhere else for the hoses or do it yourself as that is BS. Our local dealer does the same thing to customers here. I find it total crap that the feed line they have to disconnect to remove the old pump they want $500 to replace when the part is only $43
https://www.waymotorworks.com/r50-53...tion-line.html

It doesn't take any extra labor to replace it at the same time, and if it does it takes 15 min so even at $100 an hour they could only charge $25 labor to do it with the pump.

I feel the same about the pressure hose as it is only $79
https://www.waymotorworks.com/r50-53...sure-line.html
You don't have to remove it to do the pump, but the fluid is already drained and again it's a 20min job so charging $1750 is ripping off a customer.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following users liked this post:
chicohuahua (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 07:53 AM
chicohuahua
2nd Gear
I was mainly shocked at the the crazy repair costs associated for this. I thought I would go in and get my recall work and be done. I didn't think I'd be in for 1250, especially when the car isn't really worth a ton of money anymore.

I'm Jacksonville, FL. Do you suggest me just getting it towed home and repairing myself or taking it to a local shop?

Old 11-27-2017, 09:10 AM
Guke
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chicohuahua
I was mainly shocked at the the crazy repair costs associated for this. I thought I would go in and get my recall work and be done. I didn't think I'd be in for 1250, especially when the car isn't really worth a ton of money anymore.

I'm Jacksonville, FL. Do you suggest me just getting it towed home and repairing myself or taking it to a local shop?
I would get the pump done for free and do the lines yourself if you are able too. Even if you had to buy a Bentley manual and tools it would still be cheaper than what they quoted you. They tried to do the same thing to me when I got my pump done under recall. I did the lines myself, but I dropped the subframe and fixed a few other things. I can't imagine it taking more than a day for the average home mechanic to drain, replace, and bleed the system.

sarom058 (11-28-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 10:12 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
The biggest issue with changing the hoses is having the proper size socket and an articulating socket extension. There are threads here on how to do the work, youtube videos and many of the vendors here have DIY sections. Way has their own full service shop so they know labor costs down to a TEE.

Have you checked any local MINI boards/forums as they would know the local shops.

Let us know if you are going to turn your own wrench as we can offer more tips.

chicohuahua (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 01:25 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
BS. I replaced both hoses and installed a brand new fan as well for $100-200 in parts. I think the dealership here in Phoenix wants $400-500 to replace the hoses. Dealer prices...

If you know your way around the enginebay and have the tools, it maybe takes an hour to figure out the problem, remove the old leaking items and install the new stuff. Refill, bleed and you are back in business.

sarom058 (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 07:01 PM
sarom058
5th Gear
Location: Portland, OR *currently in a temporary email address
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
OMG. This is an absolute fu**ing scam. Get just the power steering recall performed (if it's not too late) and run. As fast as you can. If you already paid for the hoses, politely call MINI corporate, because that is an absolutely astronomical price to pay for those two hoses to be replaced while the power steering recall was already being done. They should have done the labor for free if you bought the hoses from them, it takes literally six seconds to swap while the subframe is dropped, which must be done to replace the pump.

I have a good quality used spare high pressure line sitting around, if you want it. $100 shipped.

Then go on AAA, Car Talk, etc website, and look for their recommended/accredited mechanics in your area. Or go on Yelp and look for european auto service with 5 stars and more than 50 reviews. Or check Google. Never go back to that dealer, they're taking advantage of you through-and-through. And tell every Mini person you know to stay away from them. I hope they see this.

Which dealer was it? They deserve bad PR.

Last edited by sarom058; 11-28-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:18 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Make them put the pump in with your old hose. It wasn't leaking so bad you couldn't drive it when you brought it in. So if they had to destroy the hose to do it, then it should be part of the recall. IF it wouldn't come off without damage then they can't properly perform the recall and how should that be your responsibility. Just put your foot down and not take it.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-28-2017, 10:33 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Make them put the pump in with your old hose. It wasn't leaking so bad you couldn't drive it when you brought it in. So if they had to destroy the hose to do it, then it should be part of the recall. IF it wouldn't come off without damage then they can't properly perform the recall and how should that be your responsibility. Just put your foot down and not take it.
Agree 100%.
"Forewarned is forearmed".
They should do it for the cost of the $$$$ hoses alone, but I got charged $400 or so.
It could be just the 50-cent O-rings.
Try negotiating with them.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:49 AM
chicohuahua
2nd Gear
So I talked to the service manager at length. He and his warranty team tried to get all of the hoses covered under the recall as consequential damage. Unfortunately he was denied. Because of this, he did offer me a discounted labor rate. I'm still responsible for the parts, so the total bill out the door is still going to be close to a grand.

I did call other shops in the area, and the pricing is partially comparable. I did find one shop that would be in the 700 range.

Any thoughts, guys?

Old 12-01-2017, 06:59 AM
chicohuahua
2nd Gear
If anyone has any info from the Bentley manual around replacement of these hoses, please PM me. I want to know if it's worth me tackling this on my own.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:19 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
I would tell them to F off they broke that high pressure hose, ask them to show you proof with pictures why they need to replace it

Old 12-01-2017, 07:42 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
That SUX!!!!

You have to ask yourself a few questions:

Do you want to pay someone $600+ to do the job?
Do you have the tools to get the job done yourself?
Do you have the wrenching skills to do the job yourself, (not that difficult a job)?

If you don't have a Bentley Manual, there are TONS!!! of YouTube videos , Check out Pelican Parts tutorials, they usually have STEP by STEP instructions, with PICTURES.....

Last edited by gumbedamit; 12-01-2017 at 07:51 AM.
PelicanParts.com (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 08:22 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Yes, please do utilize our free tech article library here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...tech_index.htm. They can help you save a lot of money. Let me know if you have any questions.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-06-2017, 06:28 PM
DamnCampers
3rd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I just had the power steering recall done on my 2004 r53 without issue at my local dealer. Per the list from the dealer they replaced the pump, o ring, suction line, gasket ring, self locking collar, hose clamp, power sterring fan, and fluid. These were all covered under the power steering recall warranty and were done all at the same time.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:33 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by chicohuahua
So I talked to the service manager at length. He and his warranty team tried to get all of the hoses covered under the recall as consequential damage. Unfortunately he was denied. Because of this, he did offer me a discounted labor rate. I'm still responsible for the parts, so the total bill out the door is still going to be close to a grand.
Yeah they should deny that claim if he really tried to claim it. The pressure line from res to rack, and rack to the pump would not get damaged from the pump replacement so it's right for MINI to not include them with the recall.

Originally Posted by DamnCampers
I just had the power steering recall done on my 2004 r53 without issue at my local dealer. Per the list from the dealer they replaced the pump, o ring, suction line, gasket ring, self locking collar, hose clamp, power sterring fan, and fluid. These were all covered under the power steering recall warranty and were done all at the same time.
Like this dealer did it right as they only claimed the suction line, and apparently had no problem with the warranty.

Have them do the suction line as part of the warranty and send you down the road your other lines are not leaking enough that you can't drive it anywhere else let alone for months. As you should take your business elsewhere just for the fact they tried to do this.