Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Hood release broke

Old 11-26-2017, 02:55 PM
tdskip
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood release broke

Good afternoon, hope everybody's having a good Sunday.

Apparently I am the latest in an ongoing series of broken hoood release mechanisms, mind appears to be broken in the front engine bay of the car which does not give me the warm and fuzzies.

Has anyone figured out the easiest way to address this? I only found I had an issue because my battery died and when I went to open the hood the mechanism broke.

I tried using a vice grips to pull the cable that I could access from inside the car and it has not popped the hood open.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 11-27-2017, 06:01 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Check post number 23 of this thread-

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hood-help.html

I can't attest to the probability of success with this approach, but it would be worth a try.

There is a simple fix to get the bonnet open if the problem is not at the driver footwell: Use a long pry bar and press up on the latches from underneath the car. The right side latch is clearly visible and can be used for practice. The left side latch is a little more challenging but can be reached with a long pry bar. You want to press up on the part of the latch that is connected to the cable. It is slightly thinner metal. Find a spot with good purchase and hit the pry bar smartly with palm of your hand. You should be rewarded with a click/spring sound and the thicker part of the latch will have rotated

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (11-29-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 06:10 AM
tdskip
1st Gear
Thank you for the response, and thank you to the wink to a very helpful discussion.

Can you do that with jackstands in the driveway or does the car need to be up on the lift? It would seem from the discussion that you need a fair amount of room to maneuver in doing that with just jackstands might be a challenge.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:37 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
I would try it with jackstands. In addition to my long crow bar I have a set of three crow bars of various lengths that I would try....they might fit without having to get the car up on a lift.

Another approach to get the car higher would be to get the car on four jackstands set at a lower setting, and then raise it again to a higher setting on the jackstands. This can be a little nerve-racking and you must have a level driveway, but I've done it with success.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:41 AM
tdskip
1st Gear
Thank you, will give this a try.

Search this Thread