Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Control Arm bushing Leaking Fluid? 2011 r56 n18

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 04:26 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Control Arm bushing Leaking Fluid? 2011 r56 n18

Okay, I'm a bit stumped. I've read some said that r56 control arm bushing has no fluid and is only rubber and some other place said it does have fluid.

My r56 (with sport suspension) front conrtrol arm bushing on right passenger side is leaking fluid that doesn't feel like oil or coolant. I've checked the solanoid and tensioner bolt - no leaks, very clean. I've check the camshaft seal area - no oil residue. I've checked the transmission - all clean. Turbo oil line is good - no leak. Coolant reservoir still at max level - no leaks around it. Oil pan seal - no leak. Brake fluid and line look good - no leak.

So does the control arm bushing have fluid in it? I wiped away the fluid on the control arm and did a test drive; there's a bit of fluid leaking around the control arm bushing and no where else Does the conrtrol arm bushing have fluid in it? I'm lost since some say it doesn't contain any fluid.

I have a 2011 n18 r56 with sport suspension. Help - any ideas?!

Attached Thumbnails Control Arm bushing Leaking Fluid? 2011 r56 n18-r56.leakingcontrolarm.jpg  

Last edited by cccplus; 10-24-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:48 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Yes ALL the R56 control arm bushings are hydraulic and have a small amount of oil in them. But it is very small amount and doesn't usually leak on the ground. Usually we see just a trace of it after it leaks out. Then we replace with powerflex bushings.
So if you have wiped off the oil and it has come back it must be something above leaking down on it.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-22-2017, 12:34 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
I've attached a pic of the leaking control arm. I noticed that the fluid is coming out near the concave circular inside of the bushing. There is no fluid on the exterior of the control arm. The fluid is definitely not coolant and doesn't feel like the motor oil from the engine.

Any ideas where else to check for fluid leak?

Attached Thumbnails Control Arm bushing Leaking Fluid? 2011 r56 n18-r56.leakingcontrolarm.jpg  
Old 10-24-2017, 03:30 PM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
The only other fluid remotely above the bushing is brake fluid....and I can't see how that could leak down that way....and you would notice some other issues. There isn't any power steering fluid, and transmission fluid or lube is very unlikely as well.

Have you noticed any issues with the front suspension? If you take a wait and watch approach, you could eventually confirm the source....that is, if it stops and nothing else leaks, then you could be fairly certain that it was the bushing. As far as I know, a leaking bushing should not lead to a catastrophic / stranded on the side of the road / type of failure.

I replaced mine with Powerflex bushings as Way recommended and I like them.

The following 2 users liked this post by bugeye1031:
cccplus (10-25-2017), WayMotorWorks (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 06:32 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by cccplus
I've attached a pic of the leaking control arm. I noticed that the fluid is coming out near the concave circular inside of the bushing. There is no fluid on the exterior of the control arm. The fluid is definitely not coolant and doesn't feel like the motor oil from the engine.

Any ideas where else to check for fluid leak?
That does look like the it is the control arm bushing leaking it's fluid. I don't see any fluid on the top of the bushing or anywhere else so I would start with new control arm bushings.

Oh and FYI they powerflex just went on sale today so timing is good for you.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...shing-kit.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following users liked this post:
cccplus (10-25-2017)
Old 06-03-2018, 01:30 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
That does look like the it is the control arm bushing leaking it's fluid. I don't see any fluid on the top of the bushing or anywhere else so I would start with new control arm bushings.

Oh and FYI they powerflex just went on sale today so timing is good for you.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...shing-kit.html

WMW, I bought your prepressed PF and now got the time to replace it.

Your PM is full - So, I can't PM you. Can you tell me if an alignment is needed after replacing the CA with your prepressed kit? Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 07:44 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by cccplus
WMW, I bought your prepressed PF and now got the time to replace it.

Your PM is full - So, I can't PM you. Can you tell me if an alignment is needed after replacing the CA with your prepressed kit? Thanks.
Thanks
Yes we usually align the car after doing the bushings.
Please send us emails direct as the PM system here doesn't work very well for good communication.