Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Starting issues, engine light on

Old 10-16-2017, 07:59 AM
Savannar98
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting issues, engine light on

Hi! I am new here so bare with me. I have a 2011 cooper s and I am having several issues. Out of the blue, my car didn't start and had to be jumped. I didn't leave any lights on or anything like that! The check engine light came on about a day after that. When taking it in, it ran a p173b code. When googling that i got mixed things! I went and got an oil change(desperately needed) and they filled up my coolant, which was very low! ): The engine light stayed on. That same day, my car died twice. I have had my battery tested 3 times now, as well as the alternator. 2/3 places said my battery and alternator were fine. One place said that my battery had a dead cell and was at 0/650! It has started 2 days in a row now since that ordeal. Has anyone had these issues or have any idea as to what it sounds like?! I don't have a mini dealer where I live, closest 4 hours away. Last resort is to take it in, I have had several people who are handy with cars look at it but no luck! Please help me! Thank you

Old 11-19-2017, 06:33 PM
wader
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Savannar98
If you read other posts on the 173B, your coolant temperature may be offline. If this is the case and your cooling fan/s are running all the time even after you shut down, this could be the parasitic loss sucking the battery down. More so if you make short trips. To the best of my knowledge the code means your car does not know what temp the engine is because it can't find it and runs the fans by default to save itself.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:04 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
How old is the battery? I see lots of people try to go as long as possible on a battery. If it is marginal, will cause all kinds of weird problems. Older than 3 years, replace it.

Search this Thread