Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Oil filter problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 06:10 AM
Tygurscoop
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Oil filter problem

Hello all,
This weekend I thought it would be a good idea to start the general maintenance on my newly purchased R52 2005 vert. Changed trans fluid, spark plugs, oil change, waiting on a k&n air filter.
Got the oil drained and pulled the filter and found out I had ordered the wrong Mann oil filters... SH%T!, made a couple of phone calls and got the only filter I could find from Advance Auto. All is good, I thought. Started to install said filter and it got really tight really quick, I know I have read about some people having this issue, so I started to remove it and it got really tight in that direction also... uh oh. Finally got the filter housing off, afraid that I had cross threaded it, but no the threads were all good. Took the filter and o-ring off the housing and reinstalled, it threaded right in. Put anti seize on the threads, tried to reinstall with the old filter and it got stuck again. Pulled it back off and put the old and new o-rings side by side, and I'll be d&mned the new o-ring is thicker than the old one. Put the old o-ring on and the filter and housing went back on just as I thought it should, with a little resistance. WHEW!
Just thought I would put this out there for some people that have problems with installing the filter housing... Might be a good idea to check the thickness of the o-ring that comes with the filter. Maybe this will help someone else.