Engine Knock and Trouble Starting - North American Motoring


Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Knock and Trouble Starting

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-10-2017, 12:37 PM
nthomas7883 nthomas7883 is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: State College, Pa/South Jersey
Posts: 18
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Engine Knock and Trouble Starting

Hey Guys,

So my R53's been doing some strange things lately that I haven't really been able to trace. To start, I did have the subframe dropped early last month to change control arm bushings and I recently installed a 15% pulley. I've been getting the engine knock code since I've reinstalled the subframe, and have also noticed that that there's some hesitation higher in the rev range. Nothing crazy, just seems to trip up once or twice, but seems to be doing it more recently. Its also having a little trouble on cold starts as well. I have to crank it for a bit and it struggles to turn over. Sometimes requiring a second try, which leads me to think the fuel pump is on its way out.

So far I've checked out the engine mounts which appear to be fine, and changed out my spark plugs (the old ones were toast), but nothing seems to be helping. I was wondering if you guys had some leads on some other avenues to investigate before I start going for the fuel pump.

Thanks!
Nick


EDIT - I should also note that the coil and plugs were replaced 3 months ago as well
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-10-2017, 02:59 PM
gumbedamit gumbedamit is offline
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 426
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nthomas7883 View Post
Hey Guys,

So my R53's been doing some strange things lately that I haven't really been able to trace. To start, I did have the subframe dropped early last month to change control arm bushings and I recently installed a 15% pulley. I've been getting the engine knock code since I've reinstalled the subframe, and have also noticed that that there's some hesitation higher in the rev range. Nothing crazy, just seems to trip up once or twice, but seems to be doing it more recently. Its also having a little trouble on cold starts as well. I have to crank it for a bit and it struggles to turn over. Sometimes requiring a second try, which leads me to think the fuel pump is on its way out.

So far I've checked out the engine mounts which appear to be fine, and changed out my spark plugs (the old ones were toast), but nothing seems to be helping. I was wondering if you guys had some leads on some other avenues to investigate before I start going for the fuel pump.

Thanks!
Nick


EDIT - I should also note that the coil and plugs were replaced 3 months ago as well
Sorry you're having this problem, but you state":getting the engine knock code" , what code are you getting?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gumbedamit For This Useful Post:
nthomas7883 (10-10-2017)
  #3  
Old 10-10-2017, 03:17 PM
R56devotion R56devotion is offline
3rd Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 274
Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
I’m sure you will get it Sorted! A lot gets fiddled with the subframe out. I would check all your grounds, remove , inspect and reinstall the plugs- making sure the crush rings are snugged up. Assuming you disconnected the battery with the earlier repairs- I would double check those connections also. I would agree about your fuel pump observation, but that sounds like an additional item- not the main cause. Keep looking and keep us posted. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to R56devotion For This Useful Post:
nthomas7883 (10-10-2017)
  #4  
Old 10-10-2017, 09:33 PM
nthomas7883 nthomas7883 is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: State College, Pa/South Jersey
Posts: 18
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbedamit View Post
Sorry you're having this problem, but you state":getting the engine knock code" , what code are you getting?
Duh that would make sense... lol

The code I'm throwing is P0326



Quote:
Originally Posted by R56devotion View Post
I’m sure you will get it Sorted! A lot gets fiddled with the subframe out. I would check all your grounds, remove , inspect and reinstall the plugs- making sure the crush rings are snugged up. Assuming you disconnected the battery with the earlier repairs- I would double check those connections also. I would agree about your fuel pump observation, but that sounds like an additional item- not the main cause. Keep looking and keep us posted. Good luck.
I'm hoping to have some spare time this weekend to start rooting around in there. I might actually need to drop the subframe again, since now that I did other suspension components, my inner tie-rods are getting loose

I might also revisit the engine mounts as well, I noticed later today that theres a noticeable shake at idle. I might take a look tomorrow and see if I can source it!

Thanks guys!
-Nick
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-11-2017, 04:53 AM
r53coop r53coop is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC
Posts: 2,186
Thanked 161 Times in 154 Posts
The secondary parameter for that code is the engine coolant temperature along with engine load and speed. I would check all the plugs and wires down by where you were working. Have you checked the values on the speed sensors?

On the starting, how many miles on the car? Plugs and wires been changed recently?

For long distance diagnosing, the more information there is the better chance of making some guesses.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-11-2017, 06:31 AM
R56devotion R56devotion is offline
3rd Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 274
Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
In a similar scenario years back a forum member found a solution with this knock sensor code by:
1. Removing and cleaning the 2 wire sensor plug
2. Removing the ECM plug where he discovered a bent pin on the connector.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-12-2017, 09:45 AM
nthomas7883 nthomas7883 is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: State College, Pa/South Jersey
Posts: 18
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r53coop View Post
The secondary parameter for that code is the engine coolant temperature along with engine load and speed. I would check all the plugs and wires down by where you were working. Have you checked the values on the speed sensors?

On the starting, how many miles on the car? Plugs and wires been changed recently?

For long distance diagnosing, the more information there is the better chance of making some guesses.
Hmm the coolant temp perimeter might make sense, I noticed recently that at idle my coolant temps have been climbing up into the 220-230 range before the fan kicks on. i did a little research on that, and found that these fans are two speeds and the low speed is known for quitting. Once I have some time I'm also going to look into that as well. Although I've been looking for an excuse to justify using my discount on a Mishi rad/hoses and thermostat haha

Right now I'm sitting right at about 127k miles. I put in an MSD coil with VMS wires in June, and new plugs not even two weeks ago.

I'm going to do some data logging via dash command so see if I can spot anything out of the ordinary over the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R56devotion View Post
In a similar scenario years back a forum member found a solution with this knock sensor code by:
1. Removing and cleaning the 2 wire sensor plug
2. Removing the ECM plug where he discovered a bent pin on the connector.

So just to be sure he cleaned the knock sensor plug? FWIW I'll have to take off the supercharger to get access?


Thanks for the responses guys! The Mini's sort of a work in progress, and first step is just maintaining it :P


-Nick
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-12-2017, 10:23 AM
R56devotion R56devotion is offline
3rd Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 274
Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
He discovered that the pins on the engine control module plug were bent after reinstalling the sub frame and wiring. User error which he fixed.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-12-2017, 12:22 PM
nthomas7883 nthomas7883 is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: State College, Pa/South Jersey
Posts: 18
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R56devotion View Post
He discovered that the pins on the engine control module plug were bent after reinstalling the sub frame and wiring. User error which he fixed.
Ahhh ok, that makes sense. I'll add that to the list of items to check.

Thanks,
Nick
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:39 AM.


North American Motoring is an independently operated web site supporting MINI owners and enthusiastsworldwide. As such it has no official relationship with MINI USA, BMW AG, or BMW of North America.All original artwork and design is Copyright © 2002-2004 North American Motoring. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.