Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Any problems with the Ryephix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 11:38 AM
early_apex
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any problems with the Ryephix?

Has anyone had problems with the Ryephix?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hlight=ryephix

Are people running with the valve like this all the time?

From what I understand, aside from a small gas mileage hit, and a little additional wear on the supercharger, there are no adverse effect of running this mod. I just wanted to double check before I do this to my car.

Old 10-15-2004, 11:51 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e -

I ran it for about 4 -5 months before V.38. No problemos. MPG hit was very minor...maybe 1 mpg on average during the time.

Theo

Old 10-15-2004, 12:02 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
Did you change it back to normal after v38?

If I understand it correctly, one of the side effects of this mod is that the SC is creating boost right off idle. Wouldn't you want to keep it that was for the extra power?

Old 10-15-2004, 03:01 PM
collinsc
1st Gear
Originally Posted by early_apex
Wouldn't you want to keep it that was for the extra power?
Yes. What's the point of a supercharger if you dont get power *now*?

Old 10-15-2004, 03:30 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
Been running it for about 5,000 miles now. No noticeable mpg hit (although I'm sure there was some), and I'm very pleased with the results although one of these days I'll probably go buy another bypass valve and hunt down a stiffer spring for the real Ryephix.

EDIT: btw, earlyapex, sorry for not getting back to you about shipping the wheels. I sold them over the weekend locally, and for some reason at home it says I'm banned from this site so I couldn't get back to you.

Old 10-15-2004, 06:24 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by early_apex
Did you change it back to normal after v38?

If I understand it correctly, one of the side effects of this mod is that the SC is creating boost right off idle. Wouldn't you want to keep it that was for the extra power?
e -

Yeah, you're right. I removed it before the trip to the MINI dealer. V.38 lessened the yo-yo to the point where I decided not to put it back on. Perhaps I'll try it again now to see what the net effect it.

BTW -- Koopah just had its first service and the records show that they updated the DME to V.39. Rough idle seems improved but the adaptation period is still a long way away before judgement can be passed. Yo-yo is still noticeable but slight.

Theo

Old 10-15-2004, 10:04 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
As you read in The Yo-Yo Chronicles, I've been running with the Ryephix #2 since January, which is about 9 months now. Every time I drive a stock bypass valve'd MCS, I just about laugh at the clumsy and slow throttle response, as well as the ever-present Yo-Yo. I will never willingly put the stock bypass valve back on my car.

Problems with the Ryephix? Sure, you'll be spoiled and won't want to go back!

If you guys/gals want me to make you a Ryephix #2, I may start doing a "send me your core back" system. I've already had several requests for it, and this thread just might tempt me into making a quasi-product out of it, since it does markedly improve drivability.

Motor-On,
Ryan

Old 10-15-2004, 11:03 PM
bodinski
5th Gear
Re: send me your core

V38 seems to have worsened my yoyo. I wouldn't mind rebuilding my own bypass valve if I had the correct spring. A rebuild kit w/ instructions might be a good idea, eh? Sign me up, Ryan!

Old 10-15-2004, 11:53 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Yea, I could do it in Kit-form also; just send you a new, rewound spring + instructions.

Uh oh, now I'll have to make a bulk-purchase and the Hardware

Old 10-16-2004, 12:32 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Yea, I could do it in Kit-form also; just send you a new, rewound spring + instructions.

Hey Ryan, you gunnah be in AZ any time soon....I know prolly two others if not more besides my self that would be down with this mod...not even due to yo yo just for the added fun...

also, do you know if this is similar to what the M7 device is doing? by creating tubulance in the vacum hose...cuase that mod has done what you seem to have fund as well....my throttle responce is greater....and there is no "lag" like B4...heh heh

thanks
Chris

Old 10-16-2004, 03:57 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Ryan,

Since Koopah has been used as a test bed for MINIUSA, I'll be glad to sign up for the kit and provide product feedback!

Theo

Old 10-16-2004, 08:59 AM
Minitaur
Neutral
Bypass Valve Closure

Permanent closure of the bypass valve does indeed work wonders for driveability and elimination of the YoYo effect, but there are undesirable side effects:
  • Oil accumulation in the intake tract i.e. intercooler etc.
  • Increased fuel consumption.
After running my MCS with the bypass valve closed for about 300 miles, this was during the dark days of CDv36, my intercooler had accumulated a substantial amount of engine oil condensed on the core surfaces, and my mileage dropped by about 4 MPG.

I went about building an oil catch can from a compressed air oil seperator with a see through bowl and mounted in much the same position as the ALTA can would install. I ran the car for another 300 miles and accumulated approximately half an ounce of engine oil.

My drive cycle involves a lot of urban highway with a substantial amount of deep decellerations (high vacuum), with the bypass valve closed the OEM liquid/vapor seperator that is integrated into the engine valve cover cannot handle the volume of flow through the stock PCV system, hence excessive oil accumulation in the intake tract.

I updated my vehicle to CDv38 removed the zip tie and installed MTH software, no more YoYo, substantial low to mid range driveabilty enhancement, fuel mileage is back to normal and no more oil accumulation in my catch can.

Conclusion:
  • Do the zip tie thing and add a catch can.
  • Update to CDv38 install MTH with bypass valve in stock configuration.
Note: I still have the intermittent rough idle which has been present from day one, regardless of software versions or other modifications. Hopefully a future release of BMW software will address the rough idle concern.

Last edited by Minitaur; 10-16-2004 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Graphic Insert
Old 10-16-2004, 09:41 AM
early_apex
6th Gear
Thanks for the help guys. I did the mod and I'm digging it

Zamirz - no worries on the wheels, glad you found a buyer. As much as I would have liked to have them, I didn't really need more crap in the garage.

Old 10-16-2004, 07:33 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Minitaur
Oil accumulation in the intake tract i.e. intercooler etc......
Ironic you mention that - Last time I removed my IC (3 weeks ago) there was virutally NO oil accumulation in any of the intact tract after 18,000 miles of some form of Ryephix. I got most of my oil accumulation during the "break-in" period, with the bypass valve in stock config. Imagine that, lol.

Also, thanks for coming late to the party - but we've already ruled out that ECU mapping changes (like the MTH, for example) have NO effect on the algorithms that determine the fundamental operation of the e-gas, and therefore whether or not the Yo-Yo occurs. I'd be willing to bet you're just not driving the car within' the parameters of the Yo-Yo oscillation.

Last edited by Ryephile; 10-16-2004 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:13 AM
Minitaur
Neutral
Differing Opinions on Oscillation Elimination (YoYo)

I believe my timing was within reason, early apex asked for some feedback, I provided my experience of vehicle operation with the bypass valve closed, which would appear is in conflict with your experience.

As far as not driving the vehicle within the parameters of the YoYo
  • Prior to CDv36 I could reproduce the oscillation at will.
  • When CDv36 was installed I could reproduce the oscillation at will.
  • When CDv38 was installed I could reproduce it as well but with reduced intensity.
  • After installing the MTH software I find I cannot reproduce the oscillation.

So what does all that mean, there are different ways in which you can end up with an acceptably driveable car minus oscillation.

Uploading new software may intimidate certain owners so the mechanical approach may suit them more appropriately.

Have you tried MTH Ryan? I would be interested in your assessment of this method.

Old 10-19-2004, 10:19 AM
CoryB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, let me know if you start doing this. I'm definitely interested.

Old 10-19-2004, 10:25 AM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear

I'm IN for this, just tell me if/when you get it up and running and how much.

Old 10-20-2004, 11:42 AM
CoryB
3rd Gear
Minitaur,

I've had similar experiences with the different software versions. The only difference is that after about 1000 miles on the MTH, I felt the yo-yo return with about the same intensity as after v.38. I had truly hoped that the MTH would cure the yo-yo once and for all, but alas, on my car at least, it did not.

I believe my timing was within reason, early apex asked for some feedback, I provided my experience of vehicle operation with the bypass valve closed, which would appear is in conflict with your experience.

As far as not driving the vehicle within the parameters of the YoYo
  • Prior to CDv36 I could reproduce the oscillation at will.
  • When CDv36 was installed I could reproduce the oscillation at will.
  • When CDv38 was installed I could reproduce it as well but with reduced intensity.
  • After installing the MTH software I find I cannot reproduce the oscillation.
So what does all that mean, there are different ways in which you can end up with an acceptably driveable car minus oscillation.

Uploading new software may intimidate certain owners so the mechanical approach may suit them more appropriately.

Have you tried MTH Ryan? I would be interested in your assessment of this method.

Old 10-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Minitaur
Neutral
Hi CoryB, I have about 1500 Miles on mine and it is still OK (no YoYo), I do have an intermittent rough idle which has been the same since day one, do you have the idle problem?

Old 10-20-2004, 01:09 PM
bodinski
5th Gear
I'm serious about a do-it-yourself spring swap. Let me know when & I'll send the money. Since v38 & the pulley, I'm not happy. The yoyo is worse than ever..

Old 10-20-2004, 01:38 PM
CoryB
3rd Gear
I've had it exactly twice - and one of those was this morning. Once with v.38 and once with MTH. I had the cold start for a week after the MTH upload but it went away when I refilled the gas, so I guess I got a questionable tank of gas that time.

Hi CoryB, I have about 1500 Miles on mine and it is still OK (no YoYo), I do have an intermittent rough idle which has been the same since day one, do you have the idle problem?

Old 10-20-2004, 07:51 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
I'm off for the rest of the weekend, going to Deals Gap! But when I get back, I'll go down the list and PM whoever's interested and go from there. I'd like to point out that changing the bypass valve is not an easy thing, though not like swapping out a cylinder head. Defintely for at least a slightly experienced mechanic.

I'd like to reiterate also, that changing the ECU mapping cannot "solve" the Yo-Yo, as the Yo-Yo is inherently a P.D. controller damping issue, which cannot be effected by any current aftermarket ECU offering, regardless of what "people have felt", or what rumor is spreading through the forums. No offense to anyone, but it's math, not magic. The Ryephix's also cannot "solve" the yo-yo. They do, however fail to allow the Yo-Yo to occur via a mechanical restriction (zip tie or stiffer spring). Since there is little to no chance of MINIUSA releasing a redeveloped e-gas strategy for the current powertrain, I promote the Ryephix's as the only available solution.

Thanks for reading, have a great weekend,
Ryan

Old 10-21-2004, 06:11 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Hey Folks!

Let's save Ryan the task of sorting through these threads to assemble the list of folks interested in the potential Ryephix2 Bypass Valve Spring Upgrade. Perhaps that way he can take a few more runs on the Dragon!

So here's the deal... Please express your interest in one of the potential Ryephix2 Upgrade packages:

1. the Upgrade Kit (you get a rewound spring and instructions for a DIY installation -- requires mechanical aptitude).

2. the Upgrade Exchange (you send in your bypass valve and receive one with the rewound spring installed -- also requires mechanical aptitude). Ryan -- we'll probably need some instructions for removal and installation.

Please note that we are trying to gauge interest in these products for Ryan. At this early stage, no product committments can be made. Obviously, I'm volunteering to maintain the list of interested parties.

Please let me know if you are interested, preferably via a PM so that we can keep the posts in this thread more on-topic. Periodically, I'll update the list and repost it.

UPGRADE KIT
  1. Theo
  2. bodinski
  3. ZAMIRZ
  4. CoryB
  5. Tuls
UPGRADE EXCHANGE

Regards!

Theo

Old 10-21-2004, 06:49 AM
dkblakey
1st Gear
Add me to the list!

Add me to the upgrade kit for sure!

David

Old 10-21-2004, 08:05 AM
weeber
Neutral
Ryan,

I've been following threads regarding the yo-yo for some time and I have a question. Since the root problem is the code in the ECU for the PD controller, every MINI would have the exact code and therefore the same problem. BUT not all MCS's yo-yo. Is it variations in the sensitivity of the bypass valve that causes the problem? Is there really that much variation in tolerances in the springs of new bypass valves?

I'm not trying to give you ideas or telling you to look elsewhere, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I'm just curious why some MCS's yo-yo and others don't. My 02 MCS yo-yo's annoyingly and the zip tie cured it beautifully.

Have you ever compared the differences between an MCS that yo-yo's and one that doesn't?

Quick Reply: Any problems with the Ryephix?