Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Intermittent misfire under acceleration S Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 07:46 AM
Longitudinal
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent misfire under acceleration S Coupe

Please forgive me if this is a frequently repeated question. I have extremely little time for the next week, and this freaking Mini is about to give me an infarction.

I replaced the battery, which resolved my intermittent rough non-start issue, on Sunday. Monday, on my drive home from work, I started getting an intermittent misfire under acceleration--specifically under boost. This is a hard cut that comes and goes in a fraction of a second. What are common problems causing misfires like this on the R56?

2012 Mini Cooper S coupe, 65k miles, stock, driven daily on a 100 mile round trip commute that is virtually all freeway with lots of acceleration. Original ignition consumables.

Last edited by Longitudinal; 09-12-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:38 AM
Longitudinal
1st Gear
I should add that there is no CEL currently and that I have not scanned because I don't have a scanner.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:07 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
How do you know it is misfire?

get it scanned by autozone or ppbys even if the light is off.

if you accelerate gradually, would you have the same issue?>

Old 09-12-2017, 09:56 AM
Longitudinal
1st Gear
When a power stroke is lost, that is a misfire. A misfire can have one or more of numerous causes. I am missing the occasional power stroke under load.

Accelerate gradually? I can't accelerate instantly. Do you mean accelerate at a slower rate? If so, no, it seems to be tied to boost.

I should also note that I have not yet detected a misfire with a cold engine. I first noticed it last night at the end of my 50 mile return commute from work. I could not detect a misfire this morning until I had reached the freeway. I can't say for sure that engine temp has anything to do with the problem, but that is the correlation I have observed so far.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:10 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
yes, by gradual i meant a slower rate pressing on the gas. not sudden or semi flooring.

if power stroke is missing, wouldn't be a fuel injector issue then?

Old 09-12-2017, 02:44 PM
Longitudinal
1st Gear
Triangle of fire. Lacking fuel, spark, or compressed air will equally cause the loss of a power stroke.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:47 PM
Longitudinal
1st Gear
I am more suspicious of ignition than I am fuel. I would expect a misfire from an injector to be more persistent and not as apparently temperature dependent as my problem is.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:04 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Full tank of gas
remove and check spark plugs
check wire connectors to top of ignition coils
check your diverter valve and make sure the rubber lip is ok
with scan tool - you can check fuel pressure output from the intake pump and the HPFP.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Longitudinal
1st Gear
Which scan tool should I buy? Carly?

If anybody in Columbus, Ohio has a little spare time to use a scan tool, that would be super. I'm surprised that this misfire hasn't thrown an engine light.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:25 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
You said "original ignition consumables." Do you mean you're at 65K on the original plugs? They're due for replacement and could be the cause of your problems.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:35 AM
Longitudinal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
You said "original ignition consumables." Do you mean you're at 65K on the original plugs? They're due for replacement and could be the cause of your problems.
Correct. I don't mind replacing the plugs, but my second general rule of engine diagnostics is "its' not the plugs." That's right behind "it's not the thermostat." YMMV, but I have seen some pretty heinous looking spark plugs in my life on cars whose behavior didn't change even a little after replacement.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:43 AM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Longitudinal
Correct. I don't mind replacing the plugs, but my second general rule of engine diagnostics is "its' not the plugs." That's right behind "it's not the thermostat." YMMV, but I have seen some pretty heinous looking spark plugs in my life on cars whose behavior didn't change even a little after replacement.
My neighbors camry has 130,000 on plugs and still runs great. My mini has a jcw sticker on the valve cover that says to replace spark plugs every 2nd oil change! But they also said the car only needed oil changes every 15k!

I stick to oil changes 4,000 miles and plugs every summer. The coils I did at 25k and again at 60k. A fresh battery every few years and the above and the car is reliable and much better to drive. Milage may vary, I average 29 mpg according to gauge and I drive it. Little trips, errands and long trips.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:23 AM
Longitudinal
1st Gear
Damn. Replacing plugs every 20-30k miles was supposed to go out with points ignition and carburetors. This German car acts a little too British for my taste.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:38 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
German owned made in Oxford.
Plugs are easy.
Swap them every 50k you should be fine....

Old 09-14-2017, 12:39 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRaY rAvEn=-
Plugs are easy.
Do you like the Brisk plugs or just OEM?

Old 09-15-2017, 07:36 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
My 2011 MCS is doing what seems to be the same thing, I am at almost 80k miles. A big "jolt" of no power for a split second, then back to normal. Usually happens between 2500 and 3500 RPM's or so, and 80-100% throttle. Very intermittent! I change my plugs every 20k and use NGK Iridiums. These have maybe 10k on them. No CEL, no codes. I used this same scan tool to pull codes when I had a CEL and misfires previously when the HPFP was going out. This scan tool read all the misfire codes, as well as the fuel pressure codes at that time. Very interested to find out what the issue is with your ride, Longitudinal. Keep us/me posted, please!

Old 09-21-2017, 10:11 AM
Longitudinal
1st Gear
Plugs are easy.
Of course plugs are easy. 20k is absurd. That's my point.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:15 AM
Longitudinal
1st Gear
What scan tool are you referring to?

My misfire has become significantly less intermittent in the last week. It now regularly stutters at anything more than half throttle and anything above let
s say 2000 RPM.

Originally Posted by renchjeep
My 2011 MCS is doing what seems to be the same thing, I am at almost 80k miles. A big "jolt" of no power for a split second, then back to normal. Usually happens between 2500 and 3500 RPM's or so, and 80-100% throttle. Very intermittent! I change my plugs every 20k and use NGK Iridiums. These have maybe 10k on them. No CEL, no codes. I used this same scan tool to pull codes when I had a CEL and misfires previously when the HPFP was going out. This scan tool read all the misfire codes, as well as the fuel pressure codes at that time. Very interested to find out what the issue is with your ride, Longitudinal. Keep us/me posted, please!

Old 09-21-2017, 10:19 AM
Longitudinal
1st Gear
My German car experience tells me to start with the most expensive solution and work backward toward the cheapest. So I will start with the apparently trash ignition coils and add plugs. What brands of coil and plug should I seek out/avoid?

**EDIT** Oops, the most expensive appears to be the fuel pump. It's on back order at Autohaus. What is the best source for the fuel pump?

Old 09-26-2017, 09:13 AM
Longitudinal
1st Gear
What is the preferred brand and source for coils and fuel pumps?

Old 09-26-2017, 09:43 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by R56devotion
My neighbors camry has 130,000 on plugs and still runs great.
Is your neighbors Camry a TURBO !?

Old 09-26-2017, 09:46 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by R56devotion
Do you like the Brisk plugs
N O !!!!

By no means ever use them. Their ring seal does not compress at nm torque specs for the MINI and back out....Whatever the metallurgy they are made from is not proper for MINI.

Every person I have seen at the shop needing a helicoil and many in this forum has had them back out.....

Use OEM.

The following users liked this post:
R56devotion (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 09:50 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by Longitudinal
You asked for our help and those here have already explained your MINI is overdue for plugs and yet insist on spending $ on coils....

Old 09-27-2017, 02:08 PM
Longitudinal
1st Gear
You asked for our help and those here have already explained your MINI is overdue for plugs and yet insist on spending $ on coils....
Plugs would be replaced with coils (invisible: "of course.") If I am reading correctly, plugs and coils have about the same life expectancy. It's inexcusable, but it appears to be the reality.

I'll ask again for the better choice in plug and coil.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:09 PM
Longitudinal
1st Gear
Is your neighbors Camry a TURBO !?
Nobody gets a pass for a 25K plug change (let alone coils,) turbocharged, supercharged, or twin charged.