Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Starter issues...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 08:52 AM
NBradley1981
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter issues...

So I recently had a knock censor code affecting engine performance. We replaced the knock censor, serviced the super charger, replaced the serpentine belt and water pump. Once everything was put back together I was throwing code P1498. We found the intercooler boots were cracked. Replaced those and the engine seems to be running great. My next stop was the gas station to top off the tank as the car had been sitting for 3 weeks, wanted to get some fresh gas in. Filled her up and now the starter won't fire... Push started it with no issue.

What are the chances that the starter just gave out?

Old 09-03-2017, 09:26 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by NBradley1981
So I recently had a knock censor code affecting engine performance. We replaced the knock censor, serviced the super charger, replaced the serpentine belt and water pump. Once everything was put back together I was throwing code P1498. We found the intercooler boots were cracked. Replaced those and the engine seems to be running great. My next stop was the gas station to top off the tank as the car had been sitting for 3 weeks, wanted to get some fresh gas in. Filled her up and now the starter won't fire... Push started it with no issue.

What are the chances that the starter just gave out?
The chance of starter gives out is directly proportional to the cumulated cranking time of the starter. The higher mileage the car, the more worn out is the starter tends to be. The more short trips, the starter is more worn than a car that has mostly long trips. Most starters fail because the DC motor's carbon brushes and/or commutator worn out. In highschool my friends thought I am a genius when I show them by giving a calibrated blow to the starter with a peen hammer I could coerce the failed starter to do one more crank. The truth is, if you just read up on how a starter work, it is very simple.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:55 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
No clicks or any type of sound?

Old 09-03-2017, 10:04 AM
NBradley1981
Neutral
Originally Posted by r53coop
No clicks or any type of sound?
Nope. Nothing...

Old 09-03-2017, 10:06 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
OK, so next I would check the battery voltage, the ground strap by the passenger side motor mount and then the starter it self.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:29 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Moving this to the Stock Problems/Issues area.

In the picture below you can see a ground strap that is connected to the engine bracket that sits down over the passenger side motor mount. If this is not tight, you can have starter issues. If the yellow oil dip stick is at the center of the clock dial, then the ground strap is at about 10:00.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:44 PM
NBradley1981
Neutral
Originally Posted by r53coop
Moving this to the Stock Problems/Issues area.

In the picture below you can see a ground strap that is connected to the engine bracket that sits down over the passenger side motor mount. If this is not tight, you can have starter issues. If the yellow oil dip stick is at the center of the clock dial, then the ground strap is at about 10:00.

Boom! The top bolt of the ground strap was a little loose. Tightened it up, fired right up. Loosened it back up to make sure that was the problem, no click again. Thanks for the quick response and precise diagnosis!

Last edited by NBradley1981; 09-03-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:00 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Wish I was this good at picking lottery numbers . . . . .

Old 09-04-2017, 12:14 PM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by NBradley1981
Boom! The top bolt of the ground strap was a little loose. Tightened it up, fired right up. Loosened it back up to make sure that was the problem, no click again. Thanks for the quick response and precise diagnosis!
Checked through this thread and was going to tell you to double check the ground strap even though it's connected. Mine was loose and I just took for granted my buddy tightened it fully. Needless to say, I thought it was a key issue and took it to the dealer. $160 for them to tighten the bloody ground. I didn't even get a new ground strap out of it! Glad you're all good now