Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Need "new" Clubman R55 engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 06:09 PM
sirik7
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need "new" Clubman R55 engine

Hi
I need to replace the engine in my 2010 mini Clubman R55 due to metal shavings in the engine.
I want to buy a used/refurbished engine.
Does anybody have any suggestions on where to get one. Found a few used ones online but dont know companies.

Any help is greatly apprecaited- I love my little Mini and would love to get it back on the road.

Thx a lot

Old 08-04-2017, 09:18 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
What is the issue with the engine? What shavings are they and who diagnosed it. Where you located?

Old 08-05-2017, 06:47 AM
sirik7
Neutral
Hi its been diagnosed by a Mini dealership, I got approval from extended warranty company to get it fixed but only up to USD 6K hence why i dont want to put more in for a 2010 Mini - value currently around 6K.

I am based in NorCal

Old 08-05-2017, 10:48 AM
mashby
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Way has a new one, but it's $700 over what insurance is offering.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/n14-co...-cooper-s.html

Old 08-05-2017, 11:00 AM
sirik7
Neutral
Thanks Mashby

I need the non S model and as I need to pay someone to install it I would have to spend another 3K on that.
Would love to stay within budget - so used or refurbished it is for me :(

Old 08-05-2017, 11:06 AM
mashby
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you checked the Marketplace here? Any R56 N12 engine will work in your Clubman and there are a couple of people parting out vehicles, such as this one.

The following users liked this post:
sirik7 (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 02:22 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
If you choose not to repair, what will the extended warranty company give you? Is the car driveable?

Old 08-06-2017, 10:00 AM
sirik7
Neutral
Thats a great question which I had not asked but will give them a call tomorrow and find out.
Do you have any experience with that?
The car is driveable yes and I guess I could do so until it wont move anymore.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:11 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sirik7
Hi
I need to replace the engine in my 2010 mini Clubman R55 due to metal shavings in the engine.
I want to buy a used/refurbished engine.
Does anybody have any suggestions on where to get one. Found a few used ones online but dont know companies.

Any help is greatly apprecaited- I love my little Mini and would love to get it back on the road.

Thx a lot
Did the dealer tell you what the "metal shavings" are from? It would be nice to see an example of what they see.

I would also have a independant MINI shop look at the car and give you a diagnosis. Many Dealers go above and beyond what the real issue mY be just so that they can get a great payday.

My local dealer whated to replace my engine when all it needed was a single valve replace and and the cleaning of the intake. Quoted me $7800 for the engine and 3K for install. Ended up costing me $1700 for a repalcement vavle, full hand lap on all valves and intake cleaning while it was apart.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:36 PM
sirik7
Neutral
Thanks for you input.
I actually had the Vanos already replaced, oil gasket and even drive belt as part of the "problem" yellow engine light not being able to turn off.
And yes unfortunately the car was inspected by an independent shop as well as the a Mini dealer as Mini of NA requested that a Mini dealer makes the final call... :(
The extended warranty company has agreed to paying for 6K.

I am going to call extended warranty tmr and see how much they would pay if I did not get it fixed (if that is an option at all)

Old 08-07-2017, 06:14 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
The problem with these shops and the dealer is they go for the easiest and fastest option they can think of...Why am i not surprised? well, i have a now friend of mine who had a "knocking" noise coming from the passenger side. He went to an indy and they told him you have a spun bearing and a new engine ($6800) was the remedy...the dealer wasnt too far from that remedy by the way...to NAM he went and asked for help! Being intimate with Mini, I told him i will do the rebuild for him...long story short, he drove the car to me and i took a look. Right off the bat i felt it was something else not a spun bearing....you want to guess what it was.....

serpentine belt...$10.

the point is, sometimes you need not to take the first option they throw at you.