Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Turbo Charger

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 05:18 PM
miniMooji
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Charger

Hi, My 2007 Super S mini is increasingly and randomly displaying the engine 'working at half mast' icon in front behind the wheel. My mini cooper mechanic is saying this is due to the Turbo Charger beginning to fail. So, about 3 years now, all has gone well. The icon comes on, stays for a couple day, or a week, and still the car moves fine. My question is: According to the dealer this car should fail and resort to 'safe' speed (i.e., under 40 miles), but it hasn't happened yet. My mini cooper mechanic says, when the Turbo fails, it will simply default to the basic mini behavior, i.e., as if it were not Turbo charged. Which is the right answer? Thank you.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:34 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by miniMooji
Hi, My 2007 Super S mini is increasingly and randomly displaying the engine 'working at half mast' icon in front behind the wheel. My mini cooper mechanic is saying this is due to the Turbo Charger beginning to fail. So, about 3 years now, all has gone well. The icon comes on, stays for a couple day, or a week, and still the car moves fine. My question is: According to the dealer this car should fail and resort to 'safe' speed (i.e., under 40 miles), but it hasn't happened yet. My mini cooper mechanic says, when the Turbo fails, it will simply default to the basic mini behavior, i.e., as if it were not Turbo charged. Which is the right answer? Thank you.
There's more than one failure mode for turbos. Some will cause catastrophic failure, i.e., bearings will cause self-destruct. Waste gate failure will only prevent boost. There are others. If you want to use your "Super S mini" as it was designed, your best bet is to start shopping for a replacement turbo --- if you're sure it's a turbo problem.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:53 PM
miniMooji
2nd Gear
OldBrokenWing,
Thank you! While waiting for your reply I was considering replacement at considerable expense. I want to check back with my mechanic and verify the certainty of his diagnosis and then proceed. Thanks again because you just confirmed for me the way to go.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:32 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Well, what does the code say...mechanics can say all they want it is what the car is saying that matters get the codes please (and SEE them with your own eyes too)

Old 08-03-2017, 07:26 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Normally when the turbo fails it will likely go into limp mode as the ECU sees it not build boost correctly. We had a customer drove a car for over a year and as long as she didn't full throttle it she could drive normal. So it's possible to go awhile.

When you do need one let us know.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/stock-...8-r59-r60.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-04-2017, 08:17 AM
miniMooji
2nd Gear
Thank you WayMotorWorks! I've never done full throttle as far as I know. Does limp mode mean that it moves at less that 40 miles an hour, or does it mean that it defaults to your not-supercharged mini version?

Old 08-04-2017, 09:55 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Thank you WayMotorWorks! I've never done full throttle as far as I know. Does limp mode mean that it moves at less that 40 miles an hour, or does it mean that it defaults to your not-supercharged mini version?
Yes the limp mode causes it to not allow you full power and can limit the car to like the 40mph or even less

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-05-2017, 08:55 AM
miniMooji
2nd Gear
Thanks, WayMotorWorks. Very helpful!