Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

White smoke after replacing oil feed line & oil filter housing gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 06:14 AM
Whyismyhaironfire
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White smoke after replacing oil feed line & oil filter housing gaskets

Hey everyone,

So I've recently replaced my oil filter housing gaskets due to an oil leak I had, and since my turbo oil feed line was looking pretty ragged I decided to replace that as well (bought the Detroit Tuned Line).

Now it's all said and done. I started it up and after about a minute of running idle, a faint white smoke seems to be coming out somewhere around the turbo area.

I've seen an old post about somone who had a similar problem, and it turned out to just be left over cleaner/degreasser that was burning off of some of the components that they had taken off and cleaned (the heatshields I believe).

I' m just wondering if anyone else has had this problem as well, or if anyone might know more about what it could be. My car has been parked for nearly a month now (waiting for parts) and I'm really itching to get to driving it again, but I'm worried that something might catch fire of something once I do.

Any help at all would be highly appreciated, car is a 2007 Mini Cooper S

Thanks everybody

Old 07-24-2017, 10:14 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
No worries, this is normal and correct about the left over burning. one thing to note is you should change your oil in case antifreeze got into the oil passages.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:37 AM
scottm2k
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's normal. I thought my downpipe/turbo seal was leaking after reinstall but it was just all the residue cleaner burning off and went away after 5 minutes.