Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Very annoying rear end rattle

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 08:02 PM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Very annoying rear end rattle

2005 MCS convertible with 70K miles. Rattle happens only at speeds under about 35 mph. I hear it way more than I feel it. Sometimes sounds like right rear – other times middle rear. Has gotten progressively worse over past few years. I’ve got a Hotchkiss 19MM rear sway bar which has been on for years. In the last 3K miles I’ve replaced: Rear sway bar end links, rear sway bar bushings and brackets (H-sport kit), rear struts (Koni FSD), and upper strut mount bushings. None of this made any difference. Control arms and trailing arm bushings are original. Muffler straps are rusty but solid. Muffler hangers are fine. Welded rod hanger (half way down the straight exhaust pipe before mufflers) is not broken. I’ve inspected everything underneath. Cannot figure it out. Could be coming from rear window. Could also be coming rear hatch area (it’s a convertible).

Last edited by MassMini; 07-13-2017 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention strut mount busings
Old 07-13-2017, 04:31 AM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Rear seat backs and bottom and rear plastic side wall trim are all out of the car at the moment. Rattle is not related to any of those parts.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:23 AM
sarom058
5th Gear
Location: Portland, OR *currently in a temporary email address
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Could it be the exhaust heat shield?

Old 07-13-2017, 10:30 AM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sarom058
Could it be the exhaust heat shield?
I've taken off the square shaped shield that protects the battery. Was hoping to find a large rock loose on top (nothing). Will look more closely at other heat shields.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:33 AM
mdaz75
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Can you post a video or audio file of the sound?

Old 07-15-2017, 12:14 PM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mdaz75
Can you post a video or audio file of the sound?

You can hear it well in the first ten seconds and again from 0:22 to 0:40.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:47 PM
Madgepetto
2nd Gear
Did you by chance use the OEM or similar foam strut top bushings? I had 3 sets fail and this was exactly the sort of rattling I heard until finally going to Powerflex yellows for the top bushes, which stopped it completely. Ruined one of the Konis .

Worth a look, especially if you can get the car up on a lift and push up on the wheel...you'll know real quick if they've gone flat.

Good luck!

Old 07-15-2017, 06:51 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
I had a rattle in my Vert that was driving me crazy. I finally figured out the end link was loose on the rear strut.

I do know that the gas tank can rub on the x braces, I put some rubber strips on the top of the x-braces that I glued on with contact cement.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:06 PM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Madgepetto
Did you by chance use the OEM or similar foam strut top bushings? I had 3 sets fail and this was exactly the sort of rattling I heard until finally going to Powerflex yellows for the top bushes, which stopped it completely. Ruined one of the Konis .

Worth a look, especially if you can get the car up on a lift and push up on the wheel...you'll know real quick if they've gone flat.

Good luck!
Replaced the original foam upper strut mount bushings about 3K miles ago with OEM replacements. Did not make a difference.

Last edited by MassMini; 07-15-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:15 PM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Here's another video of the sound. This time with top up.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:33 PM
sarom058
5th Gear
Rear wheel bearing, maybe? Sounds like pinging in the second video, and looks like it makes the rattly noise in the first video when the body shakes.

Jack the rear end up and move the wheel around, if you can shake it around, especially up/down, it's a wheel bearing.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:51 PM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Here's what the rear right wheel looks like when jacked up and shaken. I think thats too much movement. Didn't have time yet to watch from underneath. Feels like a bushing must be shot and/or maybe a control arm.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:07 AM
sarom058
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MassMini
Here's what the rear right wheel looks like when jacked up and shaken. I think thats too much movement. Didn't have time yet to watch from underneath. Feels like a bushing must be shot and/or maybe a control arm.

https://youtu.be/zNvELFTQk3U
Yep, that's a control arm bushing! The wheel would be jiggling around on the vertical axis with a shot wheel bearing. Waymotorworks sells the Powerflex LCAB's for a great price. Best money spent ever, totally transforms how the car drives, and you'll never have to replace it again. While you're at it, check your ball joints too!

Old 07-17-2017, 10:42 AM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sarom058
Yep, that's a control arm bushing! The wheel would be jiggling around on the vertical axis with a shot wheel bearing. Waymotorworks sells the Powerflex LCAB's for a great price. Best money spent ever, totally transforms how the car drives, and you'll never have to replace it again. While you're at it, check your ball joints too!
Just clarifying... My issue is with rear suspension.
Are you talking about #9 "wishbone, lower" in this RealOEM diagram?

Old 07-17-2017, 01:40 PM
sarom058
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MassMini
Just clarifying... My issue is with rear suspension.
Are you talking about #9 "wishbone, lower" in this RealOEM diagram?
Whoops, you're totally right!

Hm, yes, I'd think it was the trailing arm bushing. Something back there is definitely very tired. I'm not too experienced with rear suspension troubles on these cars yet, I'm sure someone else will chime in with a better response.

If it is the trailing arm, though, take a look at the Powerflex replacement bushings. Might even be cheaper than replacing the whole arm. Polyurethane bushings make for a very nice driving experience, and good a good polyurethane bushing fails much less frequently than its soft rubber OEM counterpart.

Last edited by sarom058; 07-17-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:56 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
I would say upper strut mount in the rear or the trailing bushing.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ts-of-toe.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-19-2017, 04:23 AM
SonicTheMini
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a similar issue the day I picked up my car. Turned out that the previous owner didn't screw in the metal brace that holds the battery in place.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:17 PM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SonicTheMini
I had a similar issue the day I picked up my car. Turned out that the previous owner didn't screw in the metal brace that holds the battery in place.
Battery is tight

Latest theory is the vapor canister up in the wheel well behind the liner.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:49 AM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 148 Posts
Another suggestion: Be sure that your rear sway bar is centered. If it's shifted one way or the other, it can make intermittent metal-to-metal contact. Don't check with the car jacked up, only with the suspension loaded.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:52 PM
MassMini
3rd Gear
  1. Wrapped the vapor canister in foam insulation.
  2. Tightened end links.
  3. Confirmed that the sway bar is centered.
  4. Wrapped (convertible) hatch latch hooks in electrical tape.
No change.

Sounds like a small metal part loose inside a plastic container. New theory is something inside the rear bumper. FWIW PDC system gives steady scream in reverse indicating one or more sensors failed. Maybe PDC harness has come disconnected... But hard to believe it would rattle that loud. Could also believe its coming from rear hatch trim. Or right rear tail light area.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:22 AM
cnusbtkg
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since this hasn't been mentioned, I'll toss my thoughts in. Check the rear calipers for rattling pads. On my R53 the driver's rear caliper spring was worn out so the outer pad was rattling against the caliper. I re-bent the spring some which tightened up things and the rattle was gone. It's been rattle-free for about 500mi. Maybe this will help.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:37 AM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cnusbtkg
Since this hasn't been mentioned, I'll toss my thoughts in. Check the rear calipers for rattling pads. On my R53 the driver's rear caliper spring was worn out so the outer pad was rattling against the caliper. I re-bent the spring some which tightened up things and the rattle was gone. It's been rattle-free for about 500mi. Maybe this will help.
Good thought. I will take a look at the springs.

On another note I just took a ride with my wife driving and me in the passenger seat and immediately heard noise coming from the door latch area. I could stop the noise by pulling the door inward. Video shows how loose the door is. When driving it doesn't clunk like in the video, but it does make clicking noises that seem to radiate backward in the side wall behind the door. Time to see what Bentley says about adjusting the door latch.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:20 PM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Moving the door latch striker inward by less than a quarter inch solved the door rattle. Blue tape shows original striker position. One rattle down - more to go.

Last edited by MassMini; 07-30-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:12 PM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Even though the rear rattle cannot be reproduced by shaking the muffler... I'm thinking the muffler may be the source. Looks like the inboard muffler hanger on the right side is shot. #14 in this RealOEM diagram. Pic is below shows muffler being pushed hard to the right. Rubber part looks like it may be separated from hanger frame. Also looks scuffed like its been hitting the frame. Really hard to get a good look at it - even with the wheels off.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:25 AM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cnusbtkg
Tested by riding the brake. Tried both regular and hand brake. Rattle noise was unaffected.

Quick Reply: Very annoying rear end rattle