Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Issue after a puddle of water

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 12:57 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Issue after a puddle of water

Yesterday was a very rainy day and after passing through a puddle of water too fast in my R56 justa (35 mph) and a few blocks later, the car began to shut down when I released the accelerator (below 1K RPM).
I stopped the car and spent almost 1 hour looking for where water might have entered, but the engine was totally dry, up and down. There was no sign of being wet.
After more than 1 hour (turned off), the car began to function normally.
Obviously, the warm engine helped to dry something.

I don't like things to be solved by themselves without even suspecting where the problem could be.

Anyone know what the critical points to check in a MINI engine bay or chassis when this problem occurs? (go through large amounts of water).

Old 07-07-2017, 01:27 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
One can hydro-lock an engine with just 1/2 cup of water...something to think about when approaching a flooded area. And even under normal operation, any water splashed up to side of engine/cover would probably just evaporate somewhat quickly due to engine surface temps.

Since there is basically not much of a splash shield on right side of engine, I'm inclined to thinking the water did something to the alternator and/or accessory crank belt could have been slipping....just a guess cause some folks "puddles" are deeper than others.

And if this was a one time situation, dont over think it.

Motor on !

The following users liked this post:
miniuy (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 01:50 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
once I parked in an area of some deep wet grass (at church)

when I left, about 5 minutes down the road the car went into limp mode. I got home and shut the car off and planned to head to the dealer the next day.

after a few hours, started the car and everything was normal and the problem never came back.

all I could figure was either by sitting in the wet dampened something, or starting up sucked in just enuf from below that it impacted a sensor.

so I agree ... if the problem stays gone don't sweat it.

(btw the horns are mounted really low and a deep puddle can drown those. I'd check em a few times and don't be surprised if they fail as they don't like baths. I've replaced a few sets ....)

The following users liked this post:
miniuy (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 01:51 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
One can hydro-lock an engine with just 1/2 cup of water...something to think about when approaching a flooded area. And even under normal operation, any water splashed up to side of engine/cover would probably just evaporate somewhat quickly due to engine surface temps.

Since there is basically not much of a splash shield on right side of engine, I'm inclined to thinking the water did something to the alternator and/or accessory crank belt could have been slipping....just a guess cause some folks "puddles" are deeper than others.

And if this was a one time situation, dont over think it.

Motor on !
Thank you for your comment.
I was with this situation on my mind all the day.

You are talking about the engine right side and I passed the "puddle" with the right wheels!
It can not be a coincidence.
I'm going to inspect the parts you mentioned just to try to find something.

Thank you again

Old 07-07-2017, 01:54 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
once I parked in an area of some deep wet grass (at church)

when I left, about 5 minutes down the road the car went into limp mode. I got home and shut the car off and planned to head to the dealer the next day.

after a few hours, started the car and everything was normal and the problem never came back.

all I could figure was either by sitting in the wet dampened something, or starting up sucked in just enuf from below that it impacted a sensor.

so I agree ... if the problem stays gone don't sweat it.

(btw the horns are mounted really low and a deep puddle can drown those. I'd check em a few times and don't be surprised if they fail as they don't like baths. I've replaced a few sets ....)
Exactly the same behaviour and resolution as in my case.
Thank you very much for the comment and the suggestion.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:55 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Makes sense then. Probably belt got really wet, less grip on crank pulley and maybe even temp drowned the alternator...all those parts are less than 10 inches from the street surface.
GL!

Old 07-10-2017, 05:11 AM
65frank
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miniuy
Yesterday was a very rainy day and after passing through a puddle of water too fast in my R56 justa (35 mph) and a few blocks later, the car began to shut down when I released the accelerator (below 1K RPM).
I stopped the car and spent almost 1 hour looking for where water might have entered, but the engine was totally dry, up and down. There was no sign of being wet.
After more than 1 hour (turned off), the car began to function normally.
Obviously, the warm engine helped to dry something.

I don't like things to be solved by themselves without even suspecting where the problem could be.

Anyone know what the critical points to check in a MINI engine bay or chassis when this problem occurs? (go through large amounts of water).
On the way into work this morning (heavy rain in Northern Illinois) I didn't see the water on the road until it was too late. Apparently the car that had it's 4-ways on didn't clue me in but in my defense I didn't have any coffee yet. Luckily I didn't have any problems but I will tell you it made me nervous for a little while.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:54 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 65frank
On the way into work this morning (heavy rain in Northern Illinois) I didn't see the water on the road until it was too late. Apparently the car that had it's 4-ways on didn't clue me in but in my defense I didn't have any coffee yet. Luckily I didn't have any problems but I will tell you it made me nervous for a little while.
I'm glad to read that it did not have any problems with your car nor generate any accident/damage!

Those water on the road are very treacherous

Old 07-11-2017, 08:59 AM
65frank
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miniuy
I'm glad to read that it did not have any problems with your car nor generate any accident/damage!

Those water on the road are very treacherous
I usually avoid water (even when I had my Explorer) and find a different way but like I said, it was early, dark (no street lights there) & raining so I didn't see it until I was in the middle of it.