Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Where do I ground the AC clutch?

Old 06-24-2017, 02:30 AM
SoLow18
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where do I ground the AC clutch?

I recently replaced my AC clutch coil after reading that can be an easy/cheaper repair than a new compressor. With that being said I installed the new one I bought but don't know where to attach what looks to be a ground. Any suggestions? The picture shows the old one with it looking like the previous owner just put it on the coil itself. This wire is much longer on the new one. I checked the pressure on the low side and it was reading very high but that could be because the system wasn't engaging the compressor at the time. Any help is appreciated. The wire I'm most concerned about is like the one on the right but just maybe six inches long on my new one.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:42 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Some questions. First, did you bump/jump the compressor to see if the old coil pulled the pulley tight when it had power? Next, have you watched the Modmini video below? The clutch does not have a ground (mine did not) as it held tight to the compressor via the o-ring. Last, the second link is to a thread with a good video on how auto AC systems work.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d-working.html

Old 06-24-2017, 04:44 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
If for some reason your clutch has two leads, then you should be able to attach the ground to the black metal shroud that is on top of the compressor (protects the power lead/plug).

Old 06-24-2017, 07:09 AM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Mine has a long ground, too. Interesting. Subscribed for solution.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:47 AM
SoLow18
1st Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
Some questions. First, did you bump/jump the compressor to see if the old coil pulled the pulley tight when it had power? Next, have you watched the Modmini video below? The clutch does not have a ground (mine did not) as it held tight to the compressor via the o-ring. Last, the second link is to a thread with a good video on how auto AC systems work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1A41iHzBiE

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d-working.html
Thanks for the reply. I don't know how to jump anything in a car, I will Google it. I did use that video as a guide, that guy is a legend. And I'll take a look at the link provided. I just didn't see any reasonable place to attach what seems to be the missing piece before I get AC in Hawaii.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:15 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
By "jumping" you take a wire/lead/clip and touch the positive side of the connection with a positive side lead while either having the compressor "grounded" to the engine or by connecting/touching the compressor with a negative lead. Similar to jumping a battery with jumper cables (that you could use for the this purpose).

Take a picture of your clutch and of the compressor and post them here.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:21 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
At 6:26 in the ModMini vid he holds the compressor so that the pulley is up and he disconnects the power lead. His thumb is pointing toward the right side of the screen. Picture a clock with his thumb pointing at 9, there is a silver colored screw to the right and up, 12 on the clock, that holds the shroud I talked about above in place. You should be able to attach your ground wire to that screw ( I would use a round crimp on wire connector).

Old 06-24-2017, 12:52 PM
SoLow18
1st Gear
By "jumping" you take a wire/lead/clip and touch the positive side of the connection with a positive side lead while either having the compressor "grounded" to the engine or by connecting/touching the compressor with a negative lead. Similar to jumping a battery with jumper cables (that you could use for the this purpose).

Take a picture of your clutch and of the compressor and post them here.
here are pictures of my compressor and the wire that seemed extra when comparing to the one I took off. I simply zip tied it until I got more information on it. AC compressor
Wire that looks like it should be grounded but way too short to reach up top in the engine.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:35 AM
SoLow18
1st Gear
At 6:26 in the ModMini vid he holds the compressor so that the pulley is up and he disconnects the power lead. His thumb is pointing toward the right side of the screen. Picture a clock with his thumb pointing at 9, there is a silver colored screw to the right and up, 12 on the clock, that holds the shroud I talked about above in place. You should be able to attach your ground wire to that screw ( I would use a round crimp on wire connector).
I ended up drilling into a piece of the crash bar and extending the wire to reach the new destination. The compressor spins now When I turn on the AC but it doesn't blow cold! I refilled the system with the AC recharge bottle but still no luck. I refuse to buy a new AC compressor.

Search this Thread