Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Spare Key Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 12:25 PM
Frozer860
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spare Key Question

Hi all. I have a 2006 MCS. I had the dealer make me a spare key since I only had 1 when I purchased the car used. They gave me the all plastic key since they said they cannot do the metal key without the remote buttons and programming ($300). I thought there was a "general key" available...

Anyways, I tested the key and it starts the car and opens the doors but I noticed the door locks automatically lock and then unlock when accelerating/decelerating. Driving 2 miles my locks went up and down like 5 times. My originally key never did this. The doors would lock and stay locked until I open the door with that key.

I called the dealer back and they said the key shouldn't be doing that, it has got to be something wrong with the car...schedule service. I've only had the car for 2 weeks, I don't feel like going back to the dealer for something as simple as a spare key. What are your guys thoughts? Thanks!

Old 06-22-2017, 12:43 PM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I also have a 2006 MCS and it sounds like the spare key isn't the issue.
Normally, at 1-2 MPH, the doors should automatically lock and stay locked.
Without the proper diagnostic tools at hand, you might have to bite the bullet and go back to the dealership for the to check it out.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:45 PM
Frozer860
1st Gear
Right, but my original key locks the doors at 1-2 mph and they stay lock. Wouldn't that point to the issue being the new key?

Old 06-22-2017, 12:49 PM
H_C
3rd Gear
After work, I'll go home and use my spare plastic key and see if I can replicate this scenario.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:07 PM
BRGPA
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
OK, you've piqued my interest. I have an 03 R53 so things might be different, but I scrounged around and found the plastic valet key that came with it and went for a short spin. The doors locked as they should and stayed locked until I manually opened the driver's door.
I wonder if you tried a drive with the good key in your pocket and the valet key in the ignition if your results would be the same? The good key may talk to the ignition and make everything work as it should. Maybe try using the lock switch on the dash before pulling away to see if that makes any difference. Beyond that I can't suggest much. Good luck...

Old 06-22-2017, 01:30 PM
Frozer860
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BRGPA
OK, you've piqued my interest. I have an 03 R53 so things might be different, but I scrounged around and found the plastic valet key that came with it and went for a short spin. The doors locked as they should and stayed locked until I manually opened the driver's door.
I wonder if you tried a drive with the good key in your pocket and the valet key in the ignition if your results would be the same? The good key may talk to the ignition and make everything work as it should. Maybe try using the lock switch on the dash before pulling away to see if that makes any difference. Beyond that I can't suggest much. Good luck...
I had the original key in my pocket when this was occurring. maybe I should try with only 1 key in the car and not both....not sure. Thanks for testing also.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:20 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
original key in your pocket .....

not unusual to have the button pushed accidentally when in your pocket .....

when my father got his first car with a 'fob' the alarm went off randomly for several days. Seems the key had a 'panic' button and he kept sitting on the fob!

Old 06-22-2017, 02:55 PM
Frozer860
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
original key in your pocket .....

not unusual to have the button pushed accidentally when in your pocket .....

when my father got his first car with a 'fob' the alarm went off randomly for several days. Seems the key had a 'panic' button and he kept sitting on the fob!
I hope I'm not doing that...I would feel dumb, haha. I will make sure the keys not in my pocket

Old 06-22-2017, 03:04 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I do it with my daily driver today ....

it has 'keyless entry' and I often hit the button of the fob in my pocket when getting in/out and the locks will cycle several times .....

Mrs never has the issue as the fob is in her clutch

Old 06-22-2017, 03:21 PM
Frozer860
1st Gear
Well I drove around with the original key sitting on the passenger seat so nothing could touch it.... And the door locks were still going up and down while driving. I also found that I cannot lock the doors with the toggle switch. The doors will lock for about 2 seconds and then unlock on their own

Old 06-22-2017, 03:50 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Try driving around using the valet (plastic) key, but leave the new remote key at home. Minis (and BMWs) are designed so that you can't lock the key key in the car, so the fact that that remote key is in the car but not in the ignition may have something to do with the locks not staying locked.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:16 PM
Frozer860
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Filmy
Try driving around using the valet (plastic) key, but leave the new remote key at home. Minis (and BMWs) are designed so that you can't lock the key key in the car, so the fact that that remote key is in the car but not in the ignition may have something to do with the locks not staying locked.
Just tried this. Left original key in the house. While running and driving with valet key the doors still cannot be locked and go up and down on their own. Hmm...

Old 06-23-2017, 09:06 AM
sarom058
5th Gear
Location: Portland, OR *currently in a temporary email address
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Is it possible there's a door latch sensor or something that is thinking the door isn't closed all the way, or the locking process is getting interrupted? I don't think it's programming-related.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:32 AM
H_C
3rd Gear
I think there may be a hidden, underlying issue here.

Yesterday I drove with my plastic key without the other keys present and drove with all the keys adjacent with each other. All produced the same exact result.
Once on a rolling start, my door locked and stayed locked.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:08 AM
Frozer860
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sarom058
Is it possible there's a door latch sensor or something that is thinking the door isn't closed all the way, or the locking process is getting interrupted? I don't think it's programming-related.
I wouldn't think so since I can remain in the car, switch over to my original key, and the problem goes away. Without opening or closing any doors/hatch. Not sure If I should try disconnecting the battery or resetting ECU or something...

Old 06-28-2017, 03:55 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Frozer860
Hi all. I have a 2006 MCS. I had the dealer make me a spare key since I only had 1 when I purchased the car used. They gave me the all plastic key since they said they cannot do the metal key without the remote buttons and programming ($300). I thought there was a "general key" available...

Anyways, I tested the key and it starts the car and opens the doors but I noticed the door locks automatically lock and then unlock when accelerating/decelerating. Driving 2 miles my locks went up and down like 5 times. My originally key never did this. The doors would lock and stay locked until I open the door with that key.

I called the dealer back and they said the key shouldn't be doing that, it has got to be something wrong with the car...schedule service. I've only had the car for 2 weeks, I don't feel like going back to the dealer for something as simple as a spare key. What are your guys thoughts? Thanks!

That's actually not correct. There is a "general, non-remote" key available for these models. Same form factor as your remote key, metal blade, etc. Don't know if the dealer was trying to upsell you on the key or if their parts person was just ignorant of it. You need #7 in the photo in the link I'll include. I don't have the part number for an '06 non-remote key but you can look it up at realoem.com. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3565245

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm betting that using a "general, non-remote" key will solve the locks issue. The plastic key is really only for valet use but I'm not sure why it's doing that. Maybe to annoy the valets so they will take somebody else's car for a joy ride?

Val

Old 06-28-2017, 07:26 AM
Frozer860
1st Gear
Originally Posted by valvashon
That's actually not correct. There is a "general, non-remote" key available for these models. Same form factor as your remote key, metal blade, etc. Don't know if the dealer was trying to upsell you on the key or if their parts person was just ignorant of it. You need #7 in the photo in the link I'll include. I don't have the part number for an '06 non-remote key but you can look it up at realoem.com. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3565245

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm betting that using a "general, non-remote" key will solve the locks issue. The plastic key is really only for valet use but I'm not sure why it's doing that. Maybe to annoy the valets so they will take somebody else's car for a joy ride?

Val
Thanks for this. I shared the part # with the dealer and they said that part isn't compatible with your car... even though it is listed as compatible on another dealers site. Either way, I am going to the dealer in the morning to have them look at whats going on.