Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Radiator replacement advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 07:04 PM
backsidedriver
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator replacement advice

I have discovered a hole/leak in the top right front of my radiator. In considering a replacement are the aftermarket brands good or should I stick with the high priced OEM radiator?

Also any advice from those that have replaced their own radiator before? Any gotchas I should be aware of?

Old 06-15-2017, 09:11 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
I am all about the full aluminum radiator. Some may argue, but plastic tank radiators have a 100% leak guaranty over time and never at an opportune moment.

and don't forget to replace the fan speed control on the radiator holder. They always go bad also!

Old 06-16-2017, 02:48 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Looking at your posting history, is this for an '04 R50? If you don't want to go with the Genuine MINI radiator, I would recommend CSF: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item3. Very good quality. I've run a few of their racing radiators. They are well spoken about in the Porsche community as far as quality and performance as well. They might make a full aluminum one for the R50, but not sure. I can check, but also echo what was said above about going full aluminum, personally.

Be sure to check out our DIY for help and suggestions on parts to replace while doing the job: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm.

Let me know if you have any questions.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-16-2017, 04:46 PM
backsidedriver
1st Gear
You are correct, this is a 2004 Mini Cooper Base R50 Hatchback with Automatic Transmission.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:58 PM
backsidedriver
1st Gear
Looking at other posts it appears they do not make an aluminum radiator for the base model, only the S. Guess it will be a plastic one. I'll look at your links. Thanks.